• ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    ...as will IMPD...

They're more than welcome to hang around or help us hunt those pesky night gophers.

I22QDsEN.jpeg

ETA: How close to the statehouse are we subjects allowed while bearing our rifles?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    They're more than welcome to hang around or help us hunt those pesky night gophers.

I22QDsEN.jpeg

ETA: How close to the statehouse are we subjects allowed while bearing our rifles?

I know the building(s) of the Capitol and the IGC are both off-limits. I'm not sure, without checking, about the grounds.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I know the building(s) of the Capitol and the IGC are both off-limits. I'm not sure, without checking, about the grounds.

I believe the sidewalks along Washington, West, Capital and Ohio(? - drawing a blank on the 2-way on the north side of the statehouse) are about as close as you can get while armed. According to the administrative rules, I believe all of the "grounds" are intended to be GFZs, except for legislators and LEOs. I'm pretty sure even regular employees are not allowed to carry on the grounds.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    I think open carrying rifles downtown would be a little over the top seeing as we're after constitutional (concealed) carry. But it would guarantee news coverage I suspect.

MarkC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    I believe the sidewalks along Washington, West, Capital and Ohio(? - drawing a blank on the 2-way on the north side of the statehouse) are about as close as you can get while armed. According to the administrative rules, I believe all of the "grounds" are intended to be GFZs, except for legislators and LEOs. I'm pretty sure even regular employees are not allowed to carry on the grounds.

You are correct; see 240 IAC 9 (Opens 240 IAC; click the link for Title 9). Firearms in locked vehicles at work also applies to the state, so regular employees can bring their weapons to the garage or surface lot, so long as they are left in the vehicle.

And, you did remember right, it is Ohio Street on the north boundary. All the sidewalks along those streets are city property, so the IAC ban on weapons (and smoking) does not apply there.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Yeah I think a carry demonstration is uncalled for. And yes you cannot even step on the grass of the statehouse while armed.
    I am not attending to threaten any kind of bodily harm nor do I wish it upon anyone. However I do want to convey a message of POLITICAL CAREER harm if they do not uphold their oaths to the constitutions they swore to. The Indiana constitution being even more specific in regards to the right to keep and bear arms even more than the federal. Because the founders of Indiana like the founding fathers of America foresaw slimeballs like Bosma infesting the ranks of public service like rats do a ship.
    SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED. This is purely political. Our rights have become cheapened by someone who wishes his back scratched more than protecting our freedoms. Self interest over the publics interests. Shame shame shame

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I think open carrying rifles downtown would be a little over the top seeing as we're after constitutional (concealed) carry. But it would guarantee news coverage I suspect.

There is nothing in Constitutional carry that limits it to concealed. ATM would be quick to remind you that open carry is also lawful in Indiana (with the required permission slip, at the present time)

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Is the point a demonstration of huge numbers? - that would have to be outside - and as noted
    - not setting 1 foot on the steps or grass or wall if you're carrying.
    BTDT ...

Is the point to meet with Bosma and perhaps Smaltz? - that will require disarming - perhaps some signs
    - (smaller, but visible and to the point) and going inside to have a "1 to 1" - discussion and iteraction.
    BTDT ... (not with these two, but others, in the past)

I think we need to be clear what we're after ...

If you're speaking w/ them - have clear statements and reasoning ... "bulletpoints" (funny how that goes with our agenda) ... "soundbytes" ... "facts"

If you speak the Media - understand the MSM will put a spin and edit it to what they want - clear factual succinct
    Sarcasm doesn't work or fly and will not be conveyed ...
    And after the MSM has it - the Left Stream Media - will further spin and edit it to solidify those that are their side.

Just some observations to help. I'm in if I can get away ... just gotta be "naked" to walk across town ... yip-eee.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Yeah I think a carry demonstration is uncalled for. And yes you cannot even step on the grass of the statehouse while armed.
    I am not attending to threaten any kind of bodily harm nor do I wish it upon anyone. However I do want to convey a message of POLITICAL CAREER harm if they do not uphold their oaths to the constitutions they swore to. The Indiana constitution being even more specific in regards to the right to keep and bear arms even more than the federal. Because the founders of Indiana like the founding fathers of America foresaw slimeballs like Bosma infesting the ranks of public service like rats do a ship.
    SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED. This is purely political. Our rights have become cheapened by someone who wishes his back scratched more than protecting our freedoms. Self interest over the publics interests. Shame shame shame

So maybe we should OC pens and phones? ;)

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I would love to join in a demonstration. But, for me, due to travel, it would have to be on a Friday afternoon.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville

It's not over the top to suggest that we'd like the law repealed which currently prohibits us from bearing handguns as freely as we may bear rifles (without a permission slip).

Carrying handguns only suggests that we were willing to abide by the infringing law and purchase permission slips to do so - much easier to dismiss as only a slight burden, avoiding the actual principle of the matter.

There is nothing in Constitutional carry that limits it to concealed. ATM would be quick to remind you that open carry is also lawful in Indiana (with the required permission slip, at the present time)

I would, indeed. ;)

CavMedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Plainfield
    So, with another state joining the Const. Carry party what is the actual likelihood that this see's light in Indiana. I have emailed my respective reps but have received nothing back. Just curious to know if anyone out there has some actual insight beyond speculation.

John Galt

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 18, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    We have a shot!
    Tuesday morning at 9:00am, the House Public Policy Committee is going to hear Rep. Eberhart's carry bill, HB1071, which grants a person with a restraining order to bypass the waiting period to receive a LTCH, as long as they apply for one. THIS IS OUR OPPORTUNITY TO SHOW A SIGN OF SUPPORT FOR CONSTITUTIONAL CARRY BY SHOWING UP AT THE STATEHOUSE! You can carry signs and demonstrate INSIDE the building, but no firearms.

hookedonjeep

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    With the other Sheepdogs
    Well Gentlemen (and I use that term loosely), I just placed a phone call and left a reasonably worded appeal to Speaker Bosma on his Assistant's Answering Machine. I politely asked that Speaker Bosma call HB 1159 to the floor for a vote, and told him it was time to allow all Hoosiers to carry based on their God Given, Constitutionally guaranteed 2nd Amendment rights. It may not mean much, and may seem fruitless; but it felt good to make the call anyway. :twocents:

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    So, with another state joining the Const. Carry party what is the actual likelihood that this see's light in Indiana. I have emailed my respective reps but have received nothing back. Just curious to know if anyone out there has some actual insight beyond speculation.
    Right now Bosma and smaltz are the ones to call and email and visit. Until they let it out of committee it can't go for a vote by the members. So many won't take a stance until bosma tells them how to vote sadly.

Top Bottom