Indiana Constitutional Carry - HB1022 (2018)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    May have misread that one years ago... quick internet search didn’t turn anything up :ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

Props to you for admitting this.

I've been following this for a bunch of years. While there are some states that will recognize some permits from some others and not all permits from the same (that is, "A" will recognize "B"'s "enhanced permit" but not "B"'s "standard permit",) No state has ever recognized only one of Indiana's licenses in at least the last 12 years.

We are recognized in

AL AK AZ AR CO FL
    GA ID IN IA KS KY
    LA ME MI MS MO MT
    NH NC ND OH OK PA
    SD TN TX UT VT VA
    WV WI WY

(underlined states recognize only the resident LTCH)

And not in
    CA CT DE HI IL
    MD MA MN NE NV
    NJ NM NY OR RI
    SC WA

Blessings,
    Bill

Last edited:

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    I suspected we would end up with Free carry instead of ConCarry... Sad to see I was right. If this passes the Legislature, it will be here to stay. FreeCarry will near impossible to get rid of due to the it's "free so its not an infringement".

I also have concerns about the mental health language that goes beyond the Federal disqufiers and to my knowledge has little recourse. I have a few family members with "learning diasbilties" and past diagnosis for PTSD (war or sex assault) and Depression (divorce scare) that this could hurt.

Last edited:

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    So you can apply for a free lifetime LTCH once this passes?
    Will there still be fingerprinting fees or local fees?

I suspect the answer's yes. State won't charge you, but fee will go for 125 or so to 25-50 or so.

Seems like this may have been a ploy by some to give enough to stop it, but not enough to actually have us celebrate.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    And once again, “WHUMP”!

(the sound Charlie Brown makes when landing flat on his back after Lucy pulls the football away [again...])

Yeah. Im starting to suspect that if you want constitutional carry you're gonna have to move to a state that has it. If it cant be pushed through by now I just dont see it happening. Was hoping in the future my daughter wouldn't have to apply for the govs permission to exercise her God given and constitutionally protected rughts. Maybe within the next 10 years it will happen, but I'm not to optimistic anymore.
    Guess I'll keep writing and sending letters to the powers that be

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    And once again, “WHUMP”!

(the sound Charlie Brown makes when landing flat on his back after Lucy pulls the football away [again...])

Hey - I literally was Charlie 2 Saturdays ago (the icy pavement was Lucy Van Pelt)
    ... it ain't funny ... until later ... after I realized I actually had a concussion.
    ... standing in meijer ... trying to focus.

me: wearing that hard head like a badge.

yes - they submarined / bait and switched on us. I think on JIM too based on his statement at voting.

And some of the draft info is up - UNDER today's hearing packet.

https://iga.in.gov/legislative/2018...17-63bf05d466b5/committee_public_policy_1600/

Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County
    I was hoping I could stop having to switch guns when I left the house. I am very disappointed.

And to add the that new fee schedule doesn't start till July 2019? So very disappointed.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Hey - I literally was Charlie 2 Saturdays ago (the icy pavement was Lucy Van Pelt)
    ... it ain't funny ... until later ... after I realized I actually had a concussion.
    ... standing in meijer ... trying to focus.

me: wearing that hard head like a badge.

yes - they submarined / bait and switched on us. I think on JIM too based on his statement at voting.

And some of the draft info is up - UNDER today's hearing packet.

https://iga.in.gov/legislative/2018...17-63bf05d466b5/committee_public_policy_1600/

Something I'm unclear about: Under the new language where it aligns with US code, does that now mean folks under 21 will no longer be eligible for a LTCH? Or...will they be ineligible for a 5 year, Brady Exempt license but eligible for a lifetime LTCH? If that's true, I gotta wonder how many states will now only recognize the 5 year license and decline to recognize the lifetime version.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Something I'm unclear about: Under the new language where it aligns with US code, does that now mean folks under 21 will no longer be eligible for a LTCH? Or...will they be ineligible for a 5 year, Brady Exempt license but eligible for a lifetime LTCH? If that's true, I gotta wonder how many states will now only recognize the 5 year license and decline to recognize the lifetime version.

I'd need to look up the specific sections of US Code again. Since our rules (right above that) still say 18. ... I would hope that supersedes but ... IANAL so ...

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    The Bosma era has been a complete joke. He only has one thing on his mind-liquor money. Screw the voters, they won't switch.

PistolPastor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 18, 2017
    Munster
    I just want to carry man... Homeland Security is saying church shooting/violence is on the rise, the area around here is seeing a rise in crime, our church got weird letters... I mean, I'm getting concerned. I keep shaking my head that I can go get an AK47 and carry it no problem but for a handgun I'm being put through the ringer and on pins and needles I forgot something or put something wrong on my LTCH application and that's why it's taking me so long. I do have priors but nothing that would preclude me and I'm tempted just to send them the copies of the depositions that I have... These Constitutional Carry laws would make it so much easier and less stressful. They're getting the wrong people. I did a ton of research to make sure I'm not breaking any laws because I learned that lesson the hard way years ago... Sorry gang. I know this isn't the place but I just needed to vent my frustration and helplessness right now. And Thank God for Kirk Freeman who took time to explain and reassure me awhile back.

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    I have a question. I have had a lifetime license since 2007. From reading amendment 5, only the proposed 5 year license would allow me to bypass the NICS check. Would it be possible to possess a lifetime and a 5 year license? Could I "surrender" my lifetime and go to a 5 year license if it was more advantageous for me?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I have a question. I have had a lifetime license since 2007. From reading amendment 5, only the proposed 5 year license would allow me to bypass the NICS check. Would it be possible to possess a lifetime and a 5 year license? Could I "surrender" my lifetime and go to a 5 year license if it was more advantageous for me?

Good question. With those choices, for me--I'd rather keep what I have and do an occasional NICS check than have to go through the hassles of renewing a LTCH every few years.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.

Good question. With those choices, for me--I'd rather keep what I have and do an occasional NICS check than have to go through the hassles of renewing a LTCH every few years.

Guy Relford - during his testimony - made the suggestion that a "Cerificate" be added for those of the 700,000+ who have a Lifetime LTCH now (and more going forward) - to give them access to the 5 YR "Brady Exempt" status (renewable every 5 yrs) ...

Personally - I've never been delayed, I don't have that much money so I don't buy many new guns. So, I personally, would pass on it but the only other way is to return the Lifetime and get a new 5 yr. - and I'm not even sure how you would do that. (there isn't a legal recourse for it really).

I feel like we've been handed a pig in a poke by Wesco / Bosma ...

and I'd run consider a run against mr speaker but ... I'm not big wig and probably too constitutionalist /libertarian for most of that district so at it is. ( I just moved into it last spring).

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    and I'd run consider a run against mr speaker but ... I'm not big wig and probably too constitutionalist /libertarian for most of that district so at it is. ( I just moved into it last spring).

You'd have my vote!

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Guy Relford - during his testimony - made the suggestion that a "Cerificate" be added for those of the 700,000+ who have a Lifetime LTCH now (and more going forward) - to give them access to the 5 YR "Brady Exempt" status (renewable every 5 yrs) ...

Personally - I've never been delayed, I don't have that much money so I don't buy many new guns. So, I personally, would pass on it but the only other way is to return the Lifetime and get a new 5 yr. - and I'm not even sure how you would do that. (there isn't a legal recourse for it really).

I feel like we've been handed a pig in a poke by Wesco / Bosma ...

This is HB1424.... What happened to Lucas's HB1022??? It's still up unchanged.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom