South of cob corner
    Last edited:

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    When I was growing up in Nashville Indiana, as part of a Boy Scout project I cleaned up some brush and weeds growing around the grave marker of a Revolutionary War soldier buried within the bounds of Nashville. It was in the wooded area within the triangle formed where Jefferson Street merges with Van Buren/State Highway 135 on the north side of Nashville. There is a ridge that separates Jefferson and Van Buren streets, and the grave stone was located on top of that ridge. If you go to google maps and enter "301-499 Jefferson St N, Nashville, IN 47448" it will show you the area.

This was probably in the early 70's and I do not recall who owned that property or the name on the grave stone, and wonder if it is even still there. Maybe one of you current Brown Countians, or someone who wants to make a road trip, might wish to investigate.

I have not thought of this in years -- probably decades -- but when I saw the title of the thread it was the first thing that popped into my mind.
    The cemetery is still there. Can't confirm the marker you are talking about. I have heard it is still there. I think more than yourself has cleaned that cemetery as an Eagle project.
    I thought I may have known you as a youngster. But then you said the 70's. Before my time.

dak109

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 26, 2009
    Brown County
    My wife and I love tracking down oddball locations. Not exactly "forgotten and lost", but still fun to find.

A few I can think of:

Tulip Trestle is kinda cool.
    Solsberry, IN - America's Longest Railroad Trestle, Formerly
    If you wonder around on the back roads nearby, there is a little artist's house with a spoon dragon and "bigfoot". Pretty funky.

Milltown, Indiana's Shoe Tree
    Milltown, IN - Shoe Tree

There USED to be some pretty large boulders about 20-30' up in a couple of trees, on a trail near Yellowwood Lake. Gobbler's Rock:
    Unionville, IN - Gobbler's Rock-in-Tree (Gone)
    Supposedly another set of rocks in trees, on private property, just north of there. I've not trespassed to confirm.
    Gobblers Rock has fallen. Not sure if the whole tree or just the rock. I did manage to see it before it came down.

papa6x

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 12, 2012
    SW Indiana
    In Magnet there are some headstones for soldiers returning home from the Civil war.

On August 21, 1865, the steamboat, U.S.S. Argosy (Number 3) was returning Union soldiers of the 70th Ohio Infantry home via the Ohio River. The steamer was forced aground by a storm. Her boilers exploded and caused ten fatalities. They were buried in a mass grave one half mile from Magnet (then called Rono). Ten grave makers were raised at the site.
    Local historian Bert Fenn discovered information that suggested one of the ten who was supposedly buried in the grave may have actually lived until arriving in Louisville, where he died.

The Civil War Memorial Grave historical marker at the site erected by the Indiana Civil War Centennial Commission in 1965.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    If your GF was young, maybe she remembers it wrong and went to Wilstem ranch? All Capone went there.

We talked to a couple of pretty old guys down at the hardware store there in Shoals and they said the same thing...just past the road to Dave Harder's gun shop on the right is an old road bed she said they followed - same thing those guys in town said - but, that road bed follows up the ridge back up to Harder's Gun Shop road and there are houses all along the other side of the road. We went down to the river from there and followed along but couldn't find it. It's in there somewhere I suppose, but we couldn't find it. I can't find anything about it on the web either.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    We talked to a couple of pretty old guys down at the hardware store there in Shoals and they said the same thing...just past the road to Dave Harder's gun shop on the right is an old road bed she said they followed - same thing those guys in town said - but, that road bed follows up the ridge back up to Harder's Gun Shop road and there are houses all along the other side of the road. We went down to the river from there and followed along but couldn't find it. It's in there somewhere I suppose, but we couldn't find it. I can't find anything about it on the web either.

The old guys in Shoals are pretty? :):

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    My father lives just off of the Wabash river, in Fountain County. About 25 years ago, a neighbor showed us a single grave site, in the middle of the woods. Marker said it was a woman that was travelling west on a covered wagon and had died. I am sure the rough, sandstone marker is long gone and the grave is lost to time.

Oh, and just up the road from dad's place, is a waterfall that the locals claim is higher than the Williamsport falls. It is on private property. Pretty cool.

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Pioneer homestead possibly?

No idea how old it is, southern Indiana was more heavily populated and industrialized in the past than it is now. I've grave markers in that area with death dates going back before the civil war.

joe138

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Lawrence County
    In southern Brown County, past Story but not on SR 135, there is the remnant of a town called Elkinsville. The area is now part of the headwaters to Lake Monroe. The road at Elkinsville comes to the foot of a hill, known locally as Browning Mountain. On top of the hill are large stones arranged in a pattern that some have likened to Stonehenge. Google Earth has images. There used to be a 4wd only road to the area. No it is only open to foot traffic.

Last edited:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Yeah. They closed off Combs Road several years ago. Used to be a fun little drive in the woods. The County and Feds do love their gates....

I didn't know about the stones. I'll have to check that out.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    My girlfriend is from Loogootee and swears she visited a site on the White river just outside Shoals where Dillinger and his gang hid out, it's an old jail and is now on private property. We tried to find it once, but she couldn't remember exactly where it was. We wandered around in the woods up and down the river but never found it.

I've never heard the one about Dillinger but the Archer Gang rampaged through Martin and Orange County in the mid 1800s and had many hideouts in caves throughout the area. Some of the gang members were hung in the old courthouse lawn.

https://yesteryearsnews.wordpress.com/2009/03/23/the-archer-gang-and-the-archer-stanfield-feud/

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    In southern Brown County, past Story but not on SR 135, there is the remnant of a town called Elkinsville. The area is now part of the headwaters to Lake Monroe. The road at Elkinsville comes to the foot of a hill, known locally as Browning Mountain. On top of the hill are large stones arranged in a pattern that some have likened to Stonehenge. Google Earth has images. There used to be a 4wd only road to the area. No it is only open to foot traffic.

That's another one I had forgotten about. Yup, start typing in "Browning Mountain" in Google Maps, and it will suggest "Browning Mountain Indiana's Stonehenge". Will also give images of the site.

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I saw this come across my Facebook feed today. There's 2-3 I'd never heard of before.

5 Waterfalls That'll Take Your Breath Away in Indiana
    I've seen 2 of the 5, and fished all over cataract falls. It's neat frozen but it's really impressive when the lake is flooded and the lower falls disappear!

In Johnson county, south of Franklin off of county road 400 south almost to 700 east there is an Indian graveyard in the middle of the road. I was making a delivery down there and called the customer for directions and he said go past the grave in the middle of the road, I told him not to screw with me cause I'm already running behind but there's an Indian grave that the road goes around.

If your into the haunted bridges and buildings check this out, the Edna Collins bridge story is a pretty well known one Greencastle Ghost Stories | thedepauw

Top Bottom