• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Geological sites in Indiana? Not many, but the impact site in Kentland is certainly one of them. Overturned strata for the win!

Unfortunately, there's not really much you can actually "see" due to the site being a monstrous crushed stone quarry. But some quick Googling of the subject will bring up numerous hits to peruse.

Also of note in IN: World-famous museum-quality crinoid fossils from Montgomery County.

Plenty of karst features in Indiana as well, but gotta get to US 50 and south in order to partake (generally speaking)

Other than those few things, Indiana is, generally speaking, rather geologically boring.

I disagree.....Southern Indiana is a geological marvel.....

Falls of the Ohio State Park

IMHO of course but I am a proud river rat/hill jack from way back....:)

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Hey, I've been a rock hound and a fossil buff since I could walk and pick up rocks...

But I'll stick with my original assessment. Indiana is pretty geologically boring. :D

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Hey, I've been a rock hound and a fossil buff since I could walk and pick up rocks...

But I'll stick with my original assessment. Indiana is pretty geologically boring. :D

Well, if you're talking about a total absence of Mesozoic (dinosaurs) Era fossils, you're correct.
    There are tons of fossils leading all the way up to Devonian period and tons more of them for the Cenozoic (mammals...think mastodons, dire wolf, etc.) era, though.

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    I have no idea of the history or what it's called but there's a farm on the Morgan/Putnam County line on N. Patrick Rd just south of SR 42 that has countless cast iron bells, chains, and other oddities hanging from massive trees.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    Betcha a dollar it's chert. ;)

Now that I had to go and read what chert is. You may be correct.
    When the kid is here next I'll get him to show me the rocks, noojules or whatever they are called lol.
    I don't know if they are from the property or if someone brought them here.
    The kid found them digging around a old collasped barn back up in the woods.

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    What sort of concerns are there about trespassing at some of these locations?

And I agree with leadeye. Just taking a walk in the woods can turn up all sorts of interesting things. Found a pile of junked 1960's automobiles being used seemingly as an erosion barrier. Was fun to play around when I was a kid. A shame they've been stripped down before being dumped.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    No trespassing issues with walking in the HNF, just find an old county road bed and follow it around.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Geocaching is a great way to find interesting and amazing things that you never would have found on your own. Just this weekend I found some Indian caves and a big stone arch that I never knew existed around the Hemlock Cliffs area of the HNF. I have been to hemlock many time over the years and didn't know the arch existed about 1 mile away.

Arrow Head Arch
    12744499_10153783634528280_6302086844635822118_n_zpsbvoxaeqg.jpg

12717806_10153783634638280_7034248158440035200_n_zpsh8mpn9rg.jpg

Attachments

• 12744499_10153783634528280_6302086844635822118_n_zpsbvoxaeqg.jpg
      12744499_10153783634528280_6302086844635822118_n_zpsbvoxaeqg.jpg
      133.3 KB · Views: 2

AGarbers

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Martinsville
    It takes a canoe to get there, but there's a million dollars of old classic cars stacked like cordwood along a stretch of White River south of Martinsville to stop erosion. It was surreal floating by all of them.

Lee11b

Master
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 22, 2014
    North Webster
    It takes a canoe to get there, but there's a million dollars of old classic cars stacked like cordwood along a stretch of White River south of Martinsville to stop erosion. It was surreal floating by all of them.

I do agree that southern IN terrain is more stunning than the flat farm ground around here, but our lakes are a HUGE draw in the summertime......which means lakers......:ugh:

Huzrjim

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Monroe County

That is cool - was that recent? I may need to take a fishing trip just to check it out. When I was a kid, back in the late 60's, I remember fishing the White River in Jackson County near Seymour and noticing old cars stack along the river bank. I thought Dad told me they were junked there by a local salvage yard. I would not think there would be much left after 50 years, though.

Huzrjim

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Monroe County
    My Dad use to tell me about a horseshoe shaped structure known as Troxel's Fort, built from large stone boulders on his Dad's farm down in one of the lower fields near the Huffman Bridge in Perry County. When I asked what happened to it, he said his Dad and Uncle cleared them away to increase the field size for crops. Kind of sad if in fact it was historical in nature. One of my Dad's Uncles dug all over the farm before the turn of the century searching for pirates gold. He was a local surveyor at the time (Daniel McKim) and associated the horseshoe structure with a pirate that possible sailed up the Mississippi, Ohio and Anderson River.

Here is an article referencing the structure.

RootsWeb: TROXEL-L Troxel Fort

I've found large boulders in the woods near there, but nothing that would indicate they were part of it.

Last edited:

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Few people know that Indianapolis has an aquaduct located near the Pic-A-Part on 16th st. This was the old canal that went through town and fed an electric generating plant but now terminates a little past this to a water plant. Part of the old canal was rebuilt downtown for tourists.

indy_aqueduct.jpg

[video=youtube_share;mXUYc6B4afg]http://youtu.be/mXUYc6B4afg[/video]

Top Bottom