• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Indiana code allows us to be paid if called to state active duty. But drills are unpaid. Its the most rewarding thing I have ever done. If you want I can give you my email and I can get you info and I can have a recruiter contact you.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    I may be mistaken but i believe you cant receive PMs until 50 too. My email is freekforge@gmail.com.

I just got back from Atterbury and some big opportunities have come up for my brigade and the brigade i believe you will be assigned to should you join.

LT Joe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2016
    Greenville
    I've been in the Indiana Guard Reserve for a few years and it’s a great organization.
    Many of us feel that the world is not getting any safer. I for one would rather be on call in case of major emergency than to watch it happen on TV.
    There are a lot of excellent training opportunities within the IGR including service in the state Emergency Operations Center. We have excellent action orientated brigades and a very good medical command staffed with EMT’s, doctors and nurses. The IGR is a professional organization that stands ready to protect and serve the people of Indiana. I've found IGR people to be extremely dedicated and patriotic with a sincere desire to serve their state & country.

What we really need are young GWOT veterans to join up. One of the issues with the IGR is that we have a large number of people over 45 years old. After 9/11 we had a lot of Viet Nam veterans join up, ready to serve. Now they are getting older and most have retired. We need a new generation to take up the mantle of the IGR.

I have been cleared to recruit soldiers for C Company, 1st Battalion, Third Brigade
    Our intent is to build this company up with enhanced capabilities.
    C Company is looking for soldiers who:
    - Can meet Army Height Weight standards
    - Take the Army PFT once per year
    - Ruck march 7 miles
    - Conduct themselves in a professional military manner
    - Prior military, law enforcement and or fire service is a plus
    - Are from time to time able to spend an extra non-drill day doing hikes in the Hoosier National Forest
    - Are interested in shooting IDPA and taking the INSP pistol qualification test (unofficial not during drill)
    - Can obtain the basic MEMS (military emergency management) in the first year – this is an online class via FEMA.
    - Can take BGSAR (basic ground search and rescue) within the first year

Please note that these are not necessarily the requirements of the IGR - but only for C, 1/3

If you are interested please contact me or freekforge

Thanks
    Joe

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I've always wished I would have gone OCS out of college. I have a spinal curvature (doesn't really stop me from doing anything) and I've never been able to run any good distance. I thought that pretty much disqualified me. Now I'm 39 and think this could be a viable option.....

LT Joe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2016
    Greenville
    I've always wished I would have gone OCS out of college. I have a spinal curvature (doesn't really stop me from doing anything) and I've never been able to run any good distance. I thought that pretty much disqualified me. Now I'm 39 and think this could be a viable option.....

It can be a good service option. It's very rewarding. Veterans will find some of the camaraderie they once had and really do well in the IGR.
    It's not the same as the Army or Marines. We won't be deploying overseas so the physical rigors are less. However, some of our activities require physicality, such as search and rescure or erecting emergency hospitals. Veterans who join won't endanger their disability rating and we work around any physical limitations they may have.

The minimum for IGR is a 2.5 mile walk. For C 1/3 you should be able to jog 2 miles, do pushups and situps and ruck 5-7 miles. No big deal.

cook4army

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 30, 2013
    Greenfield, IN
    I retired from active duty back in early 2011, and after 5 years of having something missing from my day to day life, I found the IGR.
    Best decision I ever made.
    It's a great way to give back to this state and your local community. Military experience is not required, but will make serving easier. My suggestion is to go to IGR.in.gov and fill out the brief bio and you will get a response based off the answers given, and will assist the IGR in placing you where would be best suited, and can be the greatest help.

If if you have any questions, you can also contact me as well.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    The "join us" page will get you in contact with a recruiter. If you are in 1st brigades area just PM or email me and i can get things worked out so you can visit a drill. to find your nearest brigade go to the igr website and click on the "where is the igr" tab and it will give you a map.

cook4army i didn't realize you were in the igr I'm Cpl Bilbee not sure if we've met in person.

edit anyone can contact me not just 1st brigade people

LT Joe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 19, 2016
    Greenville
    In case anyone is interested, the Indiana Guard Reserve is forrming a marksmanship unit. The unit will send teams to matches and hold it's own internal matches to promote marksmanship and skill at arms.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    [video=youtube;OrMLmR4ipj8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrMLmR4ipj8[/video]

heres a video boomer tv did on us. The jrotc jclc mission is extremely rewarding, its cool to see the cadets picking up on things like land nav. thats me in the basket with the phone on my chest and i did get to fly in the helicopter which was pretty neat.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I have been curious about the Indiana Guard Reserve since I found out about it, especially from an historical perspective.

From what I understand they are the reserve of the Indiana National Guard who's already the reserve of the US Army, so there's unlikely to ever see combat.
    And they cannot be deployed outside of the state of Indiana.
    Do they still have military capabilities or is it more of an honorary guard?

Like do they have tanks, armored vehicles, artillery, aircrafts and such (maybe using older US Army stuff) or are they only equipped with small arms to guard armories? :dunno:

Top Bottom