• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    We do emergency management, search and rescue, augment the national guard during emergencies, provide support to the INANG (warfighter exercise for example), in process train and manage civilian volunteers and process deployments overseas. Among many other things. We are not warfighters as such we dont have tanks and armored vehicles and what not. We do qualify with weapons but dont carry them. I guess in a red dawn never gonna happen scenario we could be thrust into combat but thats not our mission. One real world mission for us is the tents that the dept. of health has (scene in the video). After hurricane Matthew passed by, Georgia asked the Indiana emergency operations center to form a team to erect and manage 6 hospital tents. The EOC asked us to be the ones to do it because we have the most experience doing it. I was one of the guys asked to do it. We were placed on stand by at camp atterbury. Thankfully the track the storm took didn't cause as much damage as expected and we were told to stand down. It may sound simple but those tents are huge and are capable of full hospital operations and a lot goes into running one. I was immensely proud of the men and women that were willing to set aside their paying jobs to help complete strangers in another state.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    We do emergency management, search and rescue, augment the national guard during emergencies, provide support to the INANG (warfighter exercise for example), in process train and manage civilian volunteers and process deployments overseas. Among many other things. We are not warfighters as such we dont have tanks and armored vehicles and what not. We do qualify with weapons but dont carry them. I guess in a red dawn never gonna happen scenario we could be thrust into combat but thats not our mission. One real world mission for us is the tents that the dept. of health has (scene in the video). After hurricane Matthew passed by, Georgia asked the Indiana emergency operations center to form a team to erect and manage 6 hospital tents. The EOC asked us to be the ones to do it because we have the most experience doing it. I was one of the guys asked to do it. We were placed on stand by at camp atterbury. Thankfully the track the storm took didn't cause as much damage as expected and we were told to stand down. It may sound simple but those tents are huge and are capable of full hospital operations and a lot goes into running one. I was immensely proud of the men and women that were willing to set aside their paying jobs to help complete strangers in another state.

Thanks for the answer! Much interesting. :yesway:
    Are you still considered part of the military like the National Guard or is it a civilian force?

The uniforms look pretty much like the ones used by National Guard and Army.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    We are part of the military dept. of Indiana and are referred to as soldiers by the state and fall under the command of the governor and TAG. However if you ask me I'll just tell you I'm a volunteer with a rank. Our oath of enlistment is the same as the INANG but say Indiana Guard Reserve in place of Indiana National Guard Under the geneva convention we have to be issued military IDs that clearly state our name rank organization and what not and those also say in big letters "Military ID". As far as the uniform we follow a modified form of AR670-1. We wear "Indiana" in place of "US Army" and the Indiana flag in place of the American flag as well as a black patrol cap instead of the ACU patrol cap.

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    Tagged and revived for interest :patriot:
    I've been conversing with a friend about the IGR and it's really peaked my curiosity.
    I would be highly interested in finding out more about the marksmanship program too.
    Passing the Army PFT would be a challenge, but at 47 I'm still very capable and feel like I could still be of use to my community.
    Never served in the Military but always felt like I should have joined up back in my teens-20's.
    I took the ASFAB test when I was 18 and scored pretty high, but I didn't follow through... dang it.
    I wonder if they still have my test results on file back from 1988??

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    EASY! we have amazing instructors that care about you and your advancement in the IGR. The basic training is one saturday a month for several months. It can be like drinking from a fire hose at times but if you begin to fall behind the instructors will pull you back up. I believe everyone in my class earned a passing score on the final exam. We had 2 main instructors and several supporting instructors so the ratio was like 3 to 1 student to instructor.

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Thread revival! Just because I love the IGR and would love to have more folks join! Shoot me a PM if you are interested. Or you can ask any questions on the open forum.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I've been working out and trying to get myself in shape ever since I found out about this. Ran a mile for the first time in nearly 18 years just a few weeks ago. Still can't do it consistently. In a previous post, there was mention of C 1/3 needing to jog 2 miles. Can you explain what C 1/3 is?

freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    C 1/3 is Lt. Joes baby but it is my understanding that they want to have a company within third brigade that is the "elite" soldiers of the brigade and can be faster work harder and go farther than the others in 3rd brigade. Im from 1st brigade so Im no expert on it but if you want i can text the LT and get him over here.

Feel free to put in an application now the IGR is full of very supportive people that will help and encourage you to get into shape. We had a couple active duty senior NCOs complimenting us during pt at annual training because of the encouragement and how everyone stuck together and kicked *** on the apft. It was an amazing sight to see. When i first joined i couldn't pass the apft but my Sgt. worked with me until i could. My brigade has been doing different pt activities every drill to help get us in shape.

Top Bottom