Indiana resident with a green card allowed to own??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BDBHoover

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2011
    Northside Indianapolis
    So my boss has been in the states for 17 years but is still on a green card and was asking me if i knew if he was legally allowed to own a firearm because he is still on a green card so i though i would ask the all knowing INGO.... Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

bullet

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Feb 27, 2011
    Seymour
    I was a green card holder until last year. I could own and even file for my life time ccw as a green card holder. I had to wait for guns when I brought from gun shops since my country was on a mandatory waiting list. But I've had been denied a sale or my ccw as a greed card holder.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Indiana has no special restrictions, if you can own under federal law you can own in Indiana. Non-immigrant visas generally require a hunting license or the like. Immigrant visas (Legal Permanent Resident being what is usually meant by 'green card holder') don't even have that requirement. Immigrant visa holders who otherwise qualify as Indiana residents can get a LTCH.

Federal law:
    18 U.S.C. § 922 : US Code - Section 922: Unlawful acts

IC code for LTCH:
    Indiana Code 35-47-2

"4) is:
    (A) a citizen of the United States; or
    (B) not a citizen of the United States but is allowed to carry a firearm in the United States under federal law;"

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    I have known a few people who have have/had a green card and have bought guns. It is one thing I love about this country and I love their appreciation of the Second Amendment. It is truely refreshing!

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Yeah he can, but my question would be why hasn't he taken steps to become a naturalized United States Citizen/

bobbittle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    West side

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    A permanent resident can own guns, buy them from a local FFL (if old enough of course) and get a LTCH in order to carry a handgun.

Yeah he can, but my question would be why hasn't he taken steps to become a naturalized United States Citizen/

It depends what is his nationality, some countries dont allow dual citizenship so he might not be allowed to become a US citizen.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    A permanent resident can own guns, buy them from a local FFL (if old enough of course) and get a LTCH in order to carry a handgun.

It depends what is his nationality, some countries dont allow dual citizenship so he might not be allowed to become a US citizen.
    The United States doesn't allow dual citizenship. When a person swears allegiance to the U.S., it is supposed to be exclusive. Seventeen years seems like a long time to sit on the fence.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    The United States doesn't allow dual citizenship. When a person swears allegiance to the U.S., it is supposed to be exclusive. Seventeen years seems like a long time to sit on the fence.

Well technically it is not the case, the US let you have a dual citizenship and you can still use two passports.
    But some other countries dont and ask you to give up your citizenship if you want to get a US citizenship.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Some countries have very restrictive visa requirements or have high entry/exit taxes for foreign passport holders. Say you still have family in your home country and travel there often, its sometimes advantageous to keep that country's passport, both financially and for ease of travel.

Top Bottom