Indiana resident with a green card allowed to own??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    Some countries have very restrictive visa requirements or have high entry/exit taxes for foreign passport holders. Say you still have family in your home country and travel there often, its sometimes advantageous to keep that country's passport, both financially and for ease of travel.
    Exactly!

This is the exact reason why my mother had a green card for many, many years before finally becoming a Naturalized US Citizen and was not allowed dual citizenship with her birth country. I will never fault or second guess why anyone has a Green Card because I do not know their personal/family situation. After all, why does it matter? They are here by legal means, are paying taxes and are not a burden to society.

Edit: I tried to rep you for this, but need to spread it around first.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Dual Citizenship in the United States

Dual citizenship had previously been banned in the United States, but the US Supreme Court struck down most laws forbidding dual citizenship in 1967.
    However, the US government remained disdainful of dual citizenship for some time. To this day, candidates for US citizenship through naturalization are forced to renounce their previous citizenship at the United States naturalization ceremony.
    The renouncing of one’s previous citizenship is part of the oath that new US citizens must take, and failing to honor that oath could result in the loss of citizenship in the United States.
    Some cases that have been brought before the Department of State in the past involve people who became naturalized US citizens but maintained a residency and life in their country of previous citizenship. While most countries recognize the Oath of Allegiance in the United States to be a binding contract regarding one’s citizenship, other countries have stated that the oath has no effect on their own citizenship laws. While the US government used to aggressively pursue these cases to get the dual citizens to renounce their citizenship, this is no longer the case.
    Additionally, young children who naturalize in the United States along with their parents didn’t take the Oath of Allegiance — even though their parents did — and can technically still hold on to their previous citizenship.
    People who have held dual citizenship since birth or childhood — or who became citizens of another country after becoming a US citizen and were not asked to renounce their previous citizenship — can remain dual citizens in the United States.

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon

Dual citizenship had previously been banned in the United States, but the US Supreme Court struck down most laws forbidding dual citizenship in 1967.
    However, the US government remained disdainful of dual citizenship for some time. To this day, candidates for US citizenship through naturalization are forced to renounce their previous citizenship at the United States naturalization ceremony.
    The renouncing of one’s previous citizenship is part of the oath that new US citizens must take, and failing to honor that oath could result in the loss of citizenship in the United States.
    Some cases that have been brought before the Department of State in the past involve people who became naturalized US citizens but maintained a residency and life in their country of previous citizenship. While most countries recognize the Oath of Allegiance in the United States to be a binding contract regarding one’s citizenship, other countries have stated that the oath has no effect on their own citizenship laws. While the US government used to aggressively pursue these cases to get the dual citizens to renounce their citizenship, this is no longer the case.
    Additionally, young children who naturalize in the United States along with their parents didn’t take the Oath of Allegiance — even though their parents did — and can technically still hold on to their previous citizenship.
    People who have held dual citizenship since birth or childhood — or who became citizens of another country after becoming a US citizen and were not asked to renounce their previous citizenship — can remain dual citizens in the United States.
    Source?
    The State Dept has agreements with other countries and each country is different as to what is allowed.
    US State Department Services Dual Nationality
    :patriot:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy

Yep.
    In the US they dont ask for your foreign passport when you become a US citizen, some other countries will ask for it and destroy it to prevent you from having a dual citizenship.

Also "loss of citizenship" is extremely rare, there was a case of a US citizen who was fighting with the Talibans against US troops, he was arrested and kept his citizenship even though he committed treason against the US and killed US troops.
    So even if killing US troops wont make you lose your citizenship there is not much that will make you lose it. :dunno: :n00b:

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Source?
    The State Dept has agreements with other countries and each country is different as to what is allowed.
    US State Department Services Dual Nationality
    :patriot:
    Your article doesn't mention agreements between the U.S. and foreign countries regarding dual citizenship. It says that the U.S. realizes that people may have dual citizenship. Here is what the oath when becoming naturalized as a U.S. citizen says, "I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the armed forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God."

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    Your article doesn't mention agreements between the U.S. and foreign countries regarding dual citizenship. It says that the U.S. realizes that people may have dual citizenship. Here is what the oath when becoming naturalized as a U.S. citizen says, "I hereby declare, on oath, that I absolutely and entirely renounce and abjure all allegiance and fidelity to any foreign prince, potentate, state or sovereignty, of whom or which I have heretofore been a subject or citizen; that I will support and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States of America against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I will bear arms on behalf of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform noncombatant service in the armed forces of the United States when required by the law; that I will perform work of national importance under civilian direction when required by the law; and that I take this obligation freely without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; so help me God."
    1. This thread is way off topic and I believe the OP got their answer.

2. You are correct that for a NATURALIZED US citizen they must renounce their former countries citizenship. You mentioned earlier that the US does not recognize Dual Citizenship. This is simply false. No, the link that I posted does not state any such agreements but it serves as proof that one can in fact have dual citizenship. I stated that the State Department had agreements with other countries and "agreements" is the wrong term. Its been a while since I have read any of this stuff. I suppose policy/laws would have been the proper term. I stand corrected on that one.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    Exactly!

This is the exact reason why my mother had a green card for many, many years before finally becoming a Naturalized US Citizen and was not allowed dual citizenship with her birth country. I will never fault or second guess why anyone has a Green Card because I do not know their personal/family situation. After all, why does it matter? They are here by legal means, are paying taxes and are not a burden to society.

Edit: I tried to rep you for this, but need to spread it around first.
    Glad your mother took the steps to Naturalization. Naturalized citizens have had to do a lot more than just be lucky enough to be born in the USA. I may be a dinosaur, but I think loyalty is a very important quality.

Top Bottom