Indianapolis man dies from injuries suffered during arrest.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    One question: What were the cops supposed to do? Maybe give him a time out? He was not a harmless, gentle person. He was violent, with a lethal weapon.

You buy your ticket; you take your ride.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    I've been in a few situations like this.

Non-lethal force used by LEOs is based on pain compliance. It is not meant to inflict actual injury. Want the cops to stop inflicting pain? Then stop resisting. It's not rocket science. When you stop fighting, we'll stop hurting you. That's why we were taught to use our sticks on knees and elbows, never the head.

EXCEPT when you're dealing with a mentally deranged individual, because they have no pain threshold and are immune to pain compliance techniques. Trust me, I've been there and done that.

SOME of them can be restrained by use of the tazer, but that is by no means guaranteed. Some can be tasered repeatedly and LITERALLY stand there and laugh at you.

When that happens the cops simply have to pile on and keep fighting until they win. There is simply nothing else that they can do. Predictably, this can result in injuries to the prisoner.

Don't knock it until you're tried it folks.

ralphb72

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Greens Fork, IN
    And if this guy had succeeded in killing a LEO before being properly restrained, would you STILL think he was the victim? If he had simply complied with a "yes, sir" attitude, he'd be alive and well, today. The police deal with thousands of such cases every year. It is regrettable that a handful of nut-jobs get so out of hand that they essentially commit suicide by cop, but to try and hang that on the officers is throwing the baby out with the bathwater. ;)

"Michael has a mental illness of Schizophrenia and goes into a panic when suppressed or confined"

Broom, people with schizophrenia do not make a choice to comply with a "yes, sir" attitude. They have a defect that is a physical problem with their brain and the chemicals which control it:

Schizophrenia is a complex mental disorder that makes it difficult to: Tell the difference between real and unreal experiences, Think logically, Have normal emotional responses, Behave normally in social situations. Schizophrenia - PubMed Health

That is not to say that he had no choice. I don't know his situation, but the best thing for people with schizophrenia is to stay on their meds. Many police officers are trained in crisis intervention techniques so that mentally ill people are identified and given treatment early.

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    "Michael has a mental illness of Schizophrenia and goes into a panic when suppressed or confined"

Broom, people with schizophrenia do not make a choice to comply with a "yes, sir" attitude. They have a defect that is a physical problem with their brain and the chemicals which control it:

Schizophrenia is a complex mental disorder that makes it difficult to: Tell the difference between real and unreal experiences, Think logically, Have normal emotional responses, Behave normally in social situations. Schizophrenia - PubMed Health

That is not to say that he had no choice. I don't know his situation, but the best thing for people with schizophrenia is to stay on their meds. Many police officers are trained in crisis intervention techniques so that mentally ill people are identified and given treatment early.

Police officers aren't hired to treat the mentally ill. They are hired to protect the rest of us from them.

Sorry he was mentally ill. Sorry noone in his life helped him control it. Not sorry he won't have a chance to hurt or kill anyone else. Happy no one else was harmed or killed.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    And we have a winner.
    No, I won. I just chose not type it out. If you are going to be lazy, I am not going to do your job for you.

In essence you were the true winner, you triggered it to happen. The simple act of observing the thread and making that fact known to those you were watching, changed the outcome.

1911 DeadHead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    NWI/ Crown Point
    Im not saying i feel bad for him or anything like that. If he was extremely violent i can understand a good amount of force after that. But when the dude is subdude initially, why not strapped to a chair with and gag or spit net or whatever other devices my taxes pay for at work? I'd like to look further into the story, but you cannot say that this doesnt happen sometimes do to negligence and lack of supervision. just saying

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Swinging a knife=deadly force had any of the citizens there been carrying. He never let up it appears the entire time he was in custody, even to the people who were only trying to help him. He placed himself in the situation that ended his life.

That he was here was a failure of family & friends to support him in staying on dopamine and/or being institutionalized.

If any of us INGO'ers had been there with our kids what would we have done? Double tap? Wave a knife at my kid and be prepared to be taken out.

No doubt. Again, we're going to blame society or the system? The guy was ill - seriously ill if his illness made him behave in this way. Who was his guardian?!?

You know, if I was on life support, and my MOM pulled the plug after 2 DAYS....... I would be ticked.

Thanks mom.

Maybe insensitive, I know, but I laughed and agreed with you.

Liberty Sanders said it best.

I'm a Dad with a kid with autism. My wife is a therapist and works with, currently, young adults with mental challenges. I've got at least a little experience in feeling compassion, love and empathy for folks with these types of difficulties.

Let's talk about another word: accountability. Sure, the police are held accountable - often under a microscope. EVERYONE is held accountable in life. If you behave badly, there are repercussions. The exception are children and the mentally ill who are held to a different standard. In that case, the parent / guardian is held accountable.

When your ward is out in the street threatening and waving a knife at moms/kids, the guardian was a failure. Seeking to blame the victims in the street and those who sought to protect - and later render medical assistance to the aggressor - just seems like seriously misplaced blame to me.

vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Oh yeah?!?!?

Well I have a question for you.

What the hell is a knofe? :laugh::ingo:

Im surprised you DON'T know what the hell a knofe is.

this is a Knife

12115.jpg

this is a KNOFE!

Crocodile%20Dundee%20-%20That's%20a%20knife%20scene-8x6.jpg

Having to fight crocodile dundee is like fighting diet chuck norris.

I think it means "in before the poop swipers gobble what's so precious." That last P was a typo.

I thought he just passed out at the keyboard or had a stroke.

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Im surprised you DON'T know what the hell a knofe is.

this is a Knife

12115.jpg

this is a KNOFE!

Crocodile%20Dundee%20-%20That's%20a%20knife%20scene-8x6.jpg

Having to fight crocodile dundee is like fighting diet chuck norris.

I thought he just passed out at the keyboard or had a stroke.

Sorry, I always thought the croc spelled it "knoife"...my mistake :D

vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    C'mon guys, i was using the aboriginal spelling. Sure it may be pronounce "knoife" but if you remember from documentary about the life of mr dundee, in 85 he was accepted into a tribe of local aborigines. That is how he's spelled it since the mid 80's so it would be a disservice, nay, an insult to spell it any other way.

paul-hogan-crocodile-dundee-linda-kozlowski-taxjpg-21973af2aaba517f_large.jpg

i often feel like the only true historian in indianapolis

roisigns

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Oct 5, 2011
    cincy
    Psychosis is a terrible curse. A family member experienced it last year & I was shocked and stunned at how they behaved.

They don't choose it any more than someone chooses to have a stroke, a heart attack, or Alzheimer's. They are also involuntarily incapable of what you & I would consider reasonable behavior.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychosis

Last edited:
    Top Bottom