Indianapolis man dies from injuries suffered during arrest.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    I just watched my DVR recording of WTHR's noon news.

The coroner has found that the Kroger bad guy expired as a result of "multiple gunshots to the head and chest."

It seems that the Kroger manager is a true practitioner of "gun control."

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County

The coroner has found that the Kroger bad guy expired as a result of "multiple gunshots to the head and chest."

He may need a job soon.

Any INGO business owners out there that could use an employee who is a proven good shot under duress?

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    C'mon guys, i was using the aboriginal spelling. Sure it may be pronounce "knoife" but if you remember from documentary about the life of mr dundee, in 85 he was accepted into a tribe of local aborigines. That is how he's spelled it since the mid 80's so it would be a disservice, nay, an insult to spell it any other way.

paul-hogan-crocodile-dundee-linda-kozlowski-taxjpg-21973af2aaba517f_large.jpg

i often feel like the only true historian in indianapolis

You're not dissing the Urban Dictionary, are you? I think you are.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County

I think maybe you missed. This thread is not about the Kroger incident.

Simon6101

Master
    Rating - 100%
    154   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    Mental Health Provider

What most of the public does not realize in Marion County is that when the State shut down Central State Hospital the Marion County Jail became the largest Mental Health provider in the area.
    Persons that suffer from a mental illness have a very high pain threshold and respond to pain much different than you or I would.

While I am saddened that this mans life is gone as stated he did assault several IMPD officers, Sheriff's Deputies and mental health providers.

There are a lot of persons that enter the Jail system that behave oddly until their medications are properly dosed and dispensed.
    Some of the behaviors being;
    Playing in feces
    eating feces
    drinking urine
    Bottling their feces and urine to throw on each other or LEO
    These are just samples.

LEO are trained to used the necessary force needed to control a situation and that force is regulated by the actions of the arrestee.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    What most of the public does not realize in Marion County is that when the State shut down Central State Hospital the Marion County Jail became the largest Mental Health provider in the area.

This point is certainly not made enough on INGO.

It is truly shocking to see the EDPs involved in the criminal justice system. Police cannot be expected to deal with them. It is tragic that this is often the only mechanism we have to deal with them.

I know money is tight all over but some day I'd like to see Indiana's treatment of the longterm mentally ill addressed.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    This point is certainly not made enough on INGO.

It is truly shocking to see the EDPs involved in the criminal justice system. Police cannot be expected to deal with them. It is tragic that this is often the only mechanism we have to deal with them.

I know money is tight all over but some day I'd like to see Indiana's treatment of the longterm mentally ill addressed.
    VERY TRUE. Many mentally ill people live in group homes staffed by 1 or 2 workers. Sometimes they have trouble dealing with a patient (not staffed enough to handle the problem) and they call us. There is one in my beat that we deal with all the time. Even on his meds, he becomes very violent with the other patients, like to bite. So the staff calls us. Usually we Immediate Detention him for his/others safety. However, this latest time of biting other patients we show up and ID him. We cuff him and wait for transportation. We cannot transport in a car or ambulance because he is just too violent. He MUST go via wagon. He tries to bite me and walk away and is very strong but if I get him to sit on the couch, I can keep him there by just pushing him back down gently, he is handcuffed. He stands up and I push him back down, this will go on hundreds of times until the wagon shows up. He feels no pain and I have NO IDEA how we would restrain him if he were any bigger/stronger than he is now...it would be a lose/lose situation. This last time, the Hospital refused to admit him. He has gone there so much and they cannot do anything, they refused him. So we have a violent patient that staff cannot handle and hospital refuses, what do we do with him? We had to arrest him for battery of the other patients. It was a sad sad decision but we were left with no other option. He does not belong in jail and a prosecutor will not file charges based on his severe mental challenges. We are placed in a position that we can really do little. We are working with the company that runs the home to get this guy placed in a more appropriate facility but I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited:

ralphb72

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Greens Fork, IN
    EDP, had to look that one up, Emotionally Disturbed Person. Persons in mental health crisis have often come in contact with Law Enforcement and the criminal justice system. What has changed over the years, is that police officers have better tools and training to deal with these types of crisis through the Crisis Intervention Team (CIT).

Of course the officers must protect themselves, the healthcare workers, and the public, they want to go home safe, of course, but they also do not want to have to maim or kill anyone. When they can use skills and resources to intervene in the crisis and get the person mental health care then at times "Everyone goes home safely".

Crisis Intervention Team

NAMI | CIT Advocacy Toolkit

CIT

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Denny, I feel for you, that is a position, that I am glad I am NOT in .... keep on doing the GOOD JOB that YOU do and I am sure, YOU will be rewarded sometime ...

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    EDP, had to look that one up, Emotionally Disturbed Person. Persons in mental health crisis have often come in contact with Law Enforcement and the criminal justice system. What has changed over the years, is that police officers have better tools and training to deal with these types of crisis through the Crisis Intervention Team (CIT).

Of course the officers must protect themselves, the healthcare workers, and the public, they want to go home safe, of course, but they also do not want to have to maim or kill anyone. When they can use skills and resources to intervene in the crisis and get the person mental health care then at times "Everyone goes home safely".

Crisis Intervention Team

NAMI | CIT Advocacy Toolkit

CIT
    Most of our officers are CIT trained. I am not. However, I have done this long enough, performed my own research on the subject, and feel quite a bit compassion for the many EDP's, that is am quite comfortable dealing with them. I have talked my way out of many a confrontation with EDP's.

ralphb72

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Greens Fork, IN
    Most of our officers are CIT trained. I am not. However, I have done this long enough, performed my own research on the subject, and feel quite a bit compassion for the many EDP's, that is am quite comfortable dealing with them. I have talked my way out of many a confrontation with EDP's.

Great! I'm glad your department has taken the steps to have CIT training and you have taken the initiative to research it yourself. There are always going to be people who push your buttons on purpose, but some of these people just don't know what they are doing or how to control themselves.

Thank you for your service and your dedication.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    It's bad 8 trained police officers can't subdue 1 out of control person without beating them to death but we weren't there. The guy broke the law assulted police and staff can't really feel sorry for him.

One time when I was in Houston, I saw a guy beat up at least 6 police officers who were trying to arrest him. Why they didn't shoot him, I don't know. The guy had just thrown his mother's console television into the apartment complex swimming pool.

I also witnessed 6 Building Deputies attempting to subdue a guy. One deputy hit him repeatedly on the outside of the thighs with his baton - which is supposed to paralyze the nerve and cause the leg to fail. The guy just kept on fighting.

People on drugs or just in a high level of agitation often don't feel pain and exhibit "hysterical strength" that - for example - allows a mother to pick up the front end of an automobile to rescue her trapped daughter, or prevents multiple police officers from getting handcuffs on a violent resister.

Top Bottom