Indy Circle of Lights - prohibition, or strong suggestion?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Quote of the Day: Second Amendment Absolutist Abracadabra! - The Truth About Guns

An IU Law Professor doesn't understand laws can't just be made up out of thin air because of 'feelings'.

It's amusing when people keep using the "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State," subordinate clause as a qualifier or limitation on the rest of the text. They fail to understand or acknowledge English grammar as well as the documented historical context. They ignore the fact that the phrase was was AN EXAMPLE why the right to keep and bear arms needed to be explicitly protected FROM THE GOVERNMENT​, not for the government and its agents. They also ignore the "the right of the people" as well as the fact that "militia" meant the people (at least adult males at that time). For some it's ignorance, but sometimes it's deliberate dishonesty.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    It's amusing when people keep using the "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State," subordinate clause as a qualifier or limitation on the rest of the text. They fail to understand or acknowledge English grammar as well as the documented historical context. They ignore the fact that the phrase was was AN EXAMPLE why the right to keep and bear arms needed to be explicitly protected FROM THE GOVERNMENT​, not for the government and its agents. They also ignore the "the right of the people" as well as the fact that "militia" meant the people (at least adult males at that time). For some it's ignorance, but sometimes it's deliberate dishonesty.

Most people miss the "AN EXAMPLE" - and the fact that this is the only example reason that can actually take away the right of the people under "legal pretense" - there fore the only 1 that really needs to be noted.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I don't think anybody died or got shot. At least two people called the police because their feelings were hurt by the crowd not magically parting for them when they wanted to move through the thickest parts of it. Tim Hortons had a van set up giving away (1/2) cups of coffee to promote their new stores that are opening soon.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I was reluctantly convinced (my wife and daughter were going with or without me) to go downtown for the lighting. It was beyond packed. We did observe a small flair up between 2 idiots that decided to fight. But the crowd made room for IMPD to get in there and break it up within seconds. IFD was able to make sure everyone was ok. Warm weather meant a larger crowd I think. Traffic getting out wasn't bad either. IMPD did their homework in their prep having streets blocked off/ man power.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner
    A large public gathering with lots of people crammed into a tight area. I know IMPD does a great job with these type of events, but it still seems like a pretty soft target to me.

There's no way I'd ever consider attending something like that without carrying.

I'm with you. I would have no interest in this, without being armed. :twocents:

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Rather than cower at home in fear of big crowds, my daughter, wife, and I made our way downtown. We went early enough to secure decent parking, we spent the afternoon having fun downtown, and when the later afternoon was upon us, made our way toward the stage. We were close enough that my 2 year old had the biggest time of her short life, but far enough to not worry about the pushing and shoving. After the lighting, we paid an exorbitant fee to take a carriage ride around the circle, and a bit about town. We ended the evening at St. Elmo’s Steakhouse, where we had supper near an older couple who were in town from Australia. Everyone had a fantastic time, no one was physically hurt, very few feelings were bruised, and I carried two guns, and a bunch of spare ammo! No one asked me about guns, nor did I advertise I had any.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Rather than cower at home in fear of big crowds, my daughter, wife, and I made our way downtown. We went early enough to secure decent parking, we spent the afternoon having fun downtown, and when the later afternoon was upon us, made our way toward the stage. We were close enough that my 2 year old had the biggest time of her short life, but far enough to not worry about the pushing and shoving. After the lighting, we paid an exorbitant fee to take a carriage ride around the circle, and a bit about town. We ended the evening at St. Elmo’s Steakhouse, where we had supper near an older couple who were in town from Australia. Everyone had a fantastic time, no one was physically hurt, very few feelings were bruised, and I carried two guns, and a bunch of spare ammo! No one asked me about guns, nor did I advertise I had any.

I'm sorry, sir, this is not the INGO way. The INGO way is to whine about crowds and pout at home.

I'm going to have to tear a corner off your gun culture card.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I'm sorry, sir, this is not the INGO way. The INGO way is to whine about crowds and pout at home.

I'm going to have to tear a corner off your gun culture card.
    :( That’s not good, as I also entered a store one time that had a no firearms policy, and a corner was removed then. I’d best not tell anyone about going to the movies, or I’m gonna have to get an octagonal gun card, I can’t afford to lose any more corners?

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    ...I can’t afford to lose any more corners?

If you lose too many corners the shape of your card may require you to turn over your guns to the government. After all this is a thread about a Christian holiday.

1503444880581.jpg

MarkC

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville

I'm glad you had a good time, expanded your cultural horizons by meeting some folks from Down Under, helped boost the economy of downtown Indianapolis, and did it all while armed!

However, I have grown to have an intense dislike of crowds. Not afraid of them, but just don't being all pushed together with five thousand of my "closest friends."

I also suspect now that I'm working downtown every day, coming back down here after work seems too much like work. The downtown has lost its attraction for me.

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    I don't cower and pout at home. I have got to where I just don't like crowds like I did when I was a young man.

Top Bottom