• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • warriorbob

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 96%
    24   1   0
    Feb 6, 2011
    This was my first build and I just brought a couole rifles to modify. There were a few peoole who came just to watch or kend their knowledge.

Fawkes

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 4, 2012
    Let's get another build session on the calendar, I've got 2 kits that are need attention.

atalon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    Indy
    Thought I would share my build. It is a Yugo M72 RPK. I had to make the tool to put the divot in the rear rivet of the front trunnion. I used a ground steel dowel pin and ball bearing from mcmaster carr for this.
    I somehow managed to misplace the retaining pins for the gas block, rear sight bock, and front sight. I still need to stain the wood.
    IMAG0975_zpsxdpg6ljy.jpg

BOVindy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2015
    Carmel
    I'd love to join in for my first AK build if you guys schedule another build party. Is there anything specific you need for your first time building? (I was thinking of building an ak-74 or an rpk-74, though I wish they made Dragunov SVD reproduction kits) Are there any plans to put another one down on record?

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    your best bet for a first time build is to build a standard pattern AK, ie AKM in ak47 or ak74. RPKs are doable but they do require more specialized tools and they are also a heck of a lot more expensive.

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    Any of the long barrel rifles (SVD, PSL, RPK) are a major PITA because the presses don't always fit. As Clay said, do an AKM or AK74 first and learn how to do it before trying one of the more difficult builds.

your best bet for a first time build is to build a standard pattern AK, ie AKM in ak47 or ak74. RPKs are doable but they do require more specialized tools and they are also a heck of a lot more expensive.

BOVindy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2015
    Carmel
    Sounds awesome, now we just need to get one on the books! Who is usually in charge of these things? It might be wise to PM him or her. Thank you for your time. -Ben

TheWabbit

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 9, 2011
    In my lair
    The good people at USDS have told me that we are welcome back anytime. I would expect the next party in March or April.

Sounds awesome, now we just need to get one on the books! Who is usually in charge of these things? It might be wise to PM him or her. Thank you for your time. -Ben

BOVindy

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 30, 2015
    Carmel
    Sounds awesome! Let me know when the next one is and I'll be sure to sign up and look into what I need to get and/or bring. :)

Ricnzak

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Noblesville
    Wondering if anyone was starting to think about a build party this year? I recently purchased a Romy kit and ordered a receiver for it. Still shopping barrels and hope to have a barrel and trigger group in the next couple months as funds allow. I've been watching Wabbits videos and looking forward to attending a build party.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom