INGO AR15 Build Party 12/14/08 AAR (now with pics!)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    :+1: Great Photos and some fine looking AR's or Evil Black Rifles as they are better known
    it's just too bad the owners aren't better looking ;)

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    Had a great time yesterday. Met some great folks. Those cookies were definitely tasty, no doubt about it. Thanks to Jim and Nick for the tours of the range and setup, gonna have to get up there and make use of it sometime. Glad everyone was able to get their lowers built, I think only 1 upper made its presence known.

Only 2 questions...
    1) Why was there no bacon present?
    2) When's the next shindig so I can meet some more folks?

USMC_0311

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 30, 2008
    Anderson
    I had a good time. My parts didn't come in time for the build but Nick fixed my buttstock on another AR. Thanks, very much appreciated. Didn't want to get in the way of the people who had parts so I found the range and got a little carried away. Didn't realize how long I was shooting and missed most of the pictures (lucky for you all). :D Must do again. Thanks to all helped organize.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Pleasure as always fellas'.

Also, sorry about my small boo-boos, sometimes I get ahead of myself. :dunno:

No problem, you do things the same way I do:

Intuition + Hammer = WIN! :rockwoot:

And I now have to raise some money to get on of those plastic round blocks, the two punches, and those square blocks that let you hammer drop without damaging the bolt release.

Any way one of you could list the names for the 6-7 tools we used last night in case people want to order some?

1. There were two punches (one for doing the bolt release and one for doing the trigger guard).
    2. There were four plastic blocks (the two that we rested the lower on, the one that lets you hammer drop, and the one that fits in a clamp so as to do stock installs).
    3. The brass hammers.

I think that was it.

And for the future, is there any hope for, or interest in the more difficult job of upper building?

lovemywoods

Geek in Paradise!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Brown County
    Big thanks to BigCraig, VUPDblue, and Shooter521 for a very pleasant afternoon. Also, thanks for the needed tightening of my AR stock!

Great group of INGO members!

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    1. There were two punches (one for doing the bolt release and one for doing the trigger guard).

3/32" and 1/8" roll pin punches will handle all the roll pins in the gun, pretty much. Longer is better; if you get a 1/8" roll pin punch that is long enough and/or has flats on the handle (as opposed to perfectly round), you can dispense with the starter punch that we used for the bolt catch pin. You will also want to pick up regular 3/32" and 1/16" punches for the non-roll pins you may enounter (hammer/trigger, front sight base, etc).

2. There were four plastic blocks (the two that we rested the lower on, the one that lets you hammer drop, and the one that fits in a clamp so as to do stock installs).

Brownells Rifle Bench Block (round, grooved) -- #080-000-492
    Brownells AR-15 Hammer Drop Block -- #080-953-000
    Brownells Lower Receiver Vise Block -- #702-004-015 or
    Promag Lower Receiver Vise Block
    Pro Mag AR-15 Lower Receiver Vise Block - AR-15 Gunsmithing Tools -

3. The brass hammers.

I think Brownells offers the double-headed (nylon/brass) one that Craig was using; I use a 5oz tack hammer that I got from Sears Hardware that has a magnetic end and a non-magnetic end. I have a nylon punch that I use for more delicate tasks, rather than using a nylon hammer.

Also, don't forget the Pivot Pin Installation Tool:
    Bushmaster #IMP-1 $7.50

And the Olympic Arms armorer's wrench:
    Olympic Arms, Inc. - Universal Barrel Wrench

And for the future, is there any hope for, or interest in the more difficult job of upper building?

Have tools, will travel! I'd be in to support another build party in the area, whether it involves uppers, lowers or both. :yesway:

Last edited:

curraheeguns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    NW Hendricks County
    I think someone put something in the cookies.........my brand new consecutive serial number RRA lowers have filled out form 1 paperwork in the cases now. Im ready to mail this week!!!

Shhhhh....don't tell my wife!

Thanks for the help today VUPDblue!!!

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    3/32" and 1/8" roll pin punches will handle all the roll pins in the gun, pretty much. Longer is better; if you get a 1/8" roll pin punch that is long enough and/or has flats on the handle (as opposed to perfectly round), you can dispense with the starter punch that we used for the bolt catch pin. You will also want to pick up regular 3/32" and 1/16" punches for the non-roll pins you may enounter (hammer/trigger, front sight base, etc).

Brownells Rifle Bench Block (round, grooved) -- #080-000-492
    Brownells AR-15 Hammer Drop Block -- #080-953-000
    Brownells Lower Receiver Vise Block -- #702-004-015 or
    Promag Lower Receiver Vise Block
    Pro Mag AR-15 Lower Receiver Vise Block - AR-15 Gunsmithing Tools -

I think Brownells offers the double-headed (nylon/brass) one that Craig was using; I use a 5oz tack hammer that I got from Sears Hardware that has a magnetic end and a non-magnetic end. I have a nylon punch that I use for more delicate tasks, rather than using a nylon hammer.

Also, don't forget the Pivot Pin Installation Tool:
    Bushmaster #IMP-1 $7.50

And the Olympic Arms armorer's wrench:
    Olympic Arms, Inc. - Universal Barrel Wrench

Have tools, will travel! I'd be in to support another build party in the area, whether it involves uppers, lowers or both. :yesway:

That's a great list of tools. Does anyone know if Brownels or any other places sell a complete basic tool kit?

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    That would be awesome a complete kit of tools I'm in if anyone finds that. Talk about group buy lol...JC

Brownells sells a couple levels of "complete" AR-15 armorers toolkit, but they are very expensive, and include WAY more than what you (or even I) would actually need.

The tools I posted are part of a larger list I have, which also includes tools for true "armorer" (as opposed to just "assembly") and maintenance tasks. I didn't post the whole list because a lot of those things aren't necessary for the average AR owner/operator. I'd be happy to furnish the list to anyone who is interested; just drop me a line.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    Brownells sells a couple levels of "complete" AR-15 armorers toolkit, but they are very expensive, and include WAY more than what you (or even I) would actually need.

I have a slightly more comprehensive version of the list I posted, but it includes tools for true "armorer" (as opposed to just "assembly") and maintenance tasks, which wouldn't be necessary for your average user.

In this at least for now I am defiantly your average user. I am not sure how much assembly I will actually need to do. I did think this was allot of fun and because of that would like to be better versed and equipped to do more. Realistically at my currant economic stasis I would probably invest money in optics, ammo, mags and other things deemed more important at this time. When I hear these words.. "there's this little spring and if" My brain stops right there and I hear nothing after that. So until I am comfortable in knowing and then myself making that statement, I will be privy to and will attend more builds. Stripped lowers are relatively inexpensive and after going to the build party I am kinda feeling that ...Well ya know I might replace a trigger group for better sensitivity or something like that, but other than that what is the advantage to building one. It was fun and great fellowship but at least for me fun will have to wait till a later date when I have more expendable income. My concerns at least for the time being I have to use the thought process of here or there pay Peter or Paul. I did love this was a great time....

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    :rockwoot:Another one bites the dust!:rockwoot:
    I think someone put something in the cookies.........my brand new consecutive serial number RRA lowers have filled out form 1 paperwork in the cases now. Im ready to mail this week!!!

Shhhhh....don't tell my wife!

Thanks for the help today VUPDblue!!!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom