• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Good evening INGO, I hope you are having a better evening than me.

My wife's car was stolen from our driveway today. She is beside herself. I am simply dumbfounded.

Here's the details:

The car is a White 2011 Mazda3, license LV4756 ("Pet Friendly" Spay/Neuter Specialty Plate), it has a peeling green decal on the rear window "KCCO". It was stolen from my home in Northwest Indianapolis in the area of the Lafayette Road/Moore Road intersection between the hours of 5:30PM and 7:00PM.

My wife says it was locked, and both sets of keys are currently hanging on the hook in my kitchen.

If you see a car matching this description please contact IMPD or your local law enforcement agency. (PM me for the IMPD case number, if you need it). I would also appreciate a message here, or on my cell phone (ask any moderator for my # if you cannot find me here).

Thank you...I know this is a long-shot.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    All keys accounted for and still stolen? That sucks. Hope you get it back. I guess there's no way something wierd happened like a mistaken repossession?

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Hey when's the last time you refilled the wiper fluid, got a little dry on the way back home.

... But seriously, that really sucks. Hope it's recovered, and in good condition.

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    All keys accounted for and still stolen? That sucks. Hope you get it back. I guess there's no way something wierd happened like a mistaken repossession?

I do the books at our house, so I can verify that she sends money out to Capital One Auto Finance every month, on time. I have a printout here on my desk of her account activity, downloaded from the lender's website. Everything seems in order to me.

I once had a repo order put out on one of my cars during a dispute over the end of the loan. Both the bank and the repo company contacted me on multiple occasions to inform me of their intent before they ever made any attempt to take the car. In the end the bank offered a settlement, and I agreed. The whole thing dragged on for months. They never did come for the car.

I have assurances from her, as well as ample circumstantial evidence to support her claims that she is current on her car note.

Still... it's really weird.

As far as I know the car has an electronic immobilizer, so I don't think it should even be capable of running without the key. A technician could potentially bypass the system, given the correct tools and enough time...but a street-level car thief? I don't know...I don't think the car is that easy to defeat...

That leaves me with the idea of a quick-grab with a wrecker...either a professional thief, or a repo...do mistaken repos happen? That's a new one on me. A truck is the only thing that makes sense to me...I just don't see someone walking up...in my neighborhood...and hot-wiring my wife's car right in front of our living room windows. How did they defeat the immobilizer and the column lock?

It all sucks.

The bright side is that we are well-insured, and nothing sentimental or valuable was in the car.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    That sucks, I'll keep an eye out.

Some newer cars with bladeless electronic "smart" keys can be started if the "key" is stored too close to the car. The car will drive as normal until it is shut off.

Hopefully you get it back intact.

Edit: Shared info on social media.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Man that is so cool it has been found.
    Great work.

Paul.....I know this had to absolutely ruin your day. Hope it gets better with this news.

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    MYSTERY SOLVED (Mostly)!

So, our very own VUPDblue called me to let me know they found my wife's car, in the IMPD impound lot. It was, in fact, taken in on a repossession.

The details are still pretty sparse. The bank called in the repo, but we still can't figure out why. The bank's website shows the loan current, with the next payment due in January. We called the "24-hour" customer service line, but when I get transferred to the "correct" department I get a recording telling me to call back tomorrow.

So, looks like I can sleep at ease tonight. Tomorrow I'll get back on the phone and figure out how to get the car back.

Thanks for the kind words everybody!

EDIT: and, of course, a double-thanks to VUPD and the rest of the IMPD crew. You guys are tops.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    MYSTERY SOLVED (Mostly)!

So, our very own VUPDblue called me to let me know they found my wife's car, in the IMPD impound lot. It was, in fact, taken in on a repossession.

The details are still pretty sparse. The bank called in the repo, but we still can't figure out why. The bank's website shows the loan current, with the next payment due in January. We called the "24-hour" customer service line, but when I get transferred to the "correct" department I get a recording telling me to call back tomorrow.

So, looks like I can sleep at ease tonight. Tomorrow I'll get back on the phone and figure out how to get the car back.

Thanks for the kind words everybody!

EDIT: and, of course, a double-thanks to VUPD and the rest of the IMPD crew. You guys are tops.
    So now you know the answer to your question above. :)

Hopefully, you get it back soon.

Top Bottom