• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    AWESOMESAUCE! VUPD ROCKS! It really helps having friends in "high" places, doesnt it?

Personally, I think that hassle is worth at LEAST a free month's payments, even more if you want to include pain and suffering. You DO have pain and suffering/anxiety, dont you? (nod your head like a good admin and show sad puppy dog eyes)

And I had no idea that it would have gone to IMPD. I assume it would have gone to the wrecker impound lot. Or is this just a coincidence that the shop tasked with the repo is the same one that stores tows for IMPD?

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana
    What IS somewhat disconcerting is that your car can be removed from your property without you knowing it. Apparently pretty talented repo guy ! And as you said, once before your bank had contacted you to discuss a potentially delinquency. What action might you have taken had you come out to discover the repossession "in progress ?" Physical altercation . . . . . or worse - while thinking your car was being stolen ! ! Not suggesting firearms would be involved - but I betcha many repo truck drivers are armed ! Perhaps even the OP might possess a firearm ! :(:(

long coat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 6, 2010
    Avon
    There was a story a few years ago about a guy that had his car repoed. It was parked in a gated parking garage, so someone had to let the repo driver in. When he called the police they keep telling him to call his bank because it was repoed, someone finally told him the name of the bank. The guy never had a loan and i don't think even banked with the bank that repoed it. The repo driver ended up getting charged with stealing the car because the owner had a clean, clear title and the driver didn't give it back when the owner showed him. The owner never said how much $ he got, but made it sound like a large amout.

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Glad you found it.

Why/how did IMPD end up with it, if it was a repo?

I'm not sure, exactly. My guess is that the same tow company that works for the city also does bank repos. Maybe they share a tow lot? I don't know, I'm just talking out of my ass here.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    All repos and private tows (like from apartment complexes or other private lots) must be reported to the IMPD auto desk. This is so that owners do not file stolen vehicle reports when the vehicle was not stolen. The problem, as in this case, is that the time window to report a repo or private tow is set at 2 hours so we do get erroneous stolen vehicle reports from time to time.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'm not sure, exactly. My guess is that the same tow company that works for the city also does bank repos. Maybe they share a tow lot? I don't know, I'm just talking out of my ass here.

IMPD doesn't have a tow lot. We use a contractor, Auto Return. I'm sitting there now waiting to do a warrant one an ET shows up...

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Huntington Bank once charged me twice in one month for a van payment. It took them about a week to do the refund, and they never gave me a red cent for the overdraft fees. I should have called the Comptroller of the Currency on them, but I missed my window of opportunity while I was being the nice guy and letting them fix their mistake.

I will never play nice with a bank again, particularly Huntington. I say get 'em for all you can, Paul. It may not be much, but don't let them off the hook.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Glad you got it sorted, Paul. And you should definitely talk to a lawyer. There are laws about what process must occur before a repo. It doesn't sound like those laws were followed.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    Glad it's been recovered. Time to slam the bank.

a good time to repost this. Don't leave your keys laying out. You can get keys made and mailed to you simply with a picture on your phone.

https://www.key.me/app

Although not relevant to this case, also do not give out unnecessary keys when having your car serviced. I have my car key on a separate ring so that when I have my car serviced, I'm not leaving them my house key.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Although not relevant to this case, also do not give out unnecessary keys when having your car serviced. I have my car key on a separate ring so that when I have my car serviced, I'm not leaving them my house key.

spare key with just that on the ring. I go so far as to pull the registration out as well.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    I would check the vehicle VERY closely for damage when you get it back.

Indeed. Dragging a car with a transmission in Park isn't very friendly. At the very least it has the potential to be very unfriendly. Hope your driveway was "slick" enough that it slid easily. And hopefully they put it immediately on a flatbed and didn't drag it for a few blocks before re-situating it for a better tow.

Top Bottom