• ...and so much more!
  • 1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    I have to ask, why? I mean, what's it to you if someone comes in, makes whatever requisite posts (or better yet, becomes a dues paying member, which you don't appear to be currently) and then simply uses the classifieds?

I guess I've never really understood why anyone cares what anyone else is doing. It's no skin off your nose and if they are paying a subscription fee, it actually supports the site. If nothing else, if they are just cruising the ad sections all the time, they are getting just as much site advertisement coverage as anyone else does, which pays the bills.

I've been a site supporter for quite some time. My year ran out around Christmas and with work ramping up due to the cold haven't paid it up yet.

My whole beef in my response is with those who don't close ad's after selling. I don't care if they come as long as they pay or follow the rules.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I've been a site supporter for quite some time. My year ran out around Christmas and with work ramping up due to the cold haven't paid it up yet.

My whole beef in my response is with those who don't close ad's after selling. I don't care if they come as long as they pay or follow the rules.
    I always close my ads. Doesn't necessarily stop someone from making me an offer on my sold item (happened just recently). :dunno: I agree I prefer that they do close them though.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I always close my ads. Doesn't necessarily stop someone from making me an offer on my sold item (happened just recently). :dunno: I agree I prefer that they do close them though.

This boggles my mind when it happens. Ad says “Sold” in it and it’s closed, yet someone will PM and ask anyways. Just peculiar.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

It is a rule actually. It is the 2nd thing I look at when an ad is reported.
    1st is infractions. How many and when.
    2nd is open ads. You would not believe how many members just blow that part off. I think the record is 86 old ads. Close them or loose the privilege.
    3rd is how many ads they have. Just sets a tone.

The there is the time spent explaining why/how.
    And my absolute favorite is the snarky PM's. I love those. I really do. "NOT"

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    It is a rule actually. It is the 2nd thing I look at when an ad is reported.

It would help if it were easier to find the procedure to close a thread. I recently spent a long time looking for instructions on how to do it. Never did find it. I know there is a way to do it, because I have closed them before after I sold something; but when I wanted to do so recently I couldn't remember the procedure and could not find anything on here about how to do it.

I searched the FAQ, searched for "How to close a thread", and several variations of it. Never found anything.

Someday I will get an infraction for not closing one and then I will finally learn how to do it again. Ah well, as Hickok45 says, "life is good."

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    It would help if it were easier to find the procedure to close a thread. I recently spent a long time looking for instructions on how to do it. Never did find it. I know there is a way to do it, because I have closed them before after I sold something; but when I wanted to do so recently I couldn't remember the procedure and could not find anything on here about how to do it.

I searched the FAQ, searched for "How to close a thread", and several variations of it. Never found anything.

Someday I will get an infraction for not closing one and then I will finally learn how to do it again. Ah well, as Hickok45 says, "life is good."

-On the top of the ad find and select Administrative.
    -The drop down has close thread already selected from choices.
    -Bottom of drop down find/select proceed.
    -Easy peasy. Thread is closed.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    You think 50 quality posts is less an enablement than requiring them to pay $20? Kitchen table dealers are going to deal, no matter what (and frankly, constitutionally, they should be able to, but that's another discussion).

I can almost guarantee you there are folks doing it right now in the classifieds, ones who would meet the posting purity standards people seemed concerned about. So what?

Honestly, I don't mean to make this a big argument. I just get irritated by self-righteous rulebook thumpers who make it their business to enforce rules that don't even exist. :rules:

It's the same kind of busybodiness you see on HOA boards from retirees with too much time on their hands. They should just get a hobby or something... oh wait, I think that's what this board is for. :ingo:

Personally, I think the requirements to participate in the classifieds should be much higher.

A 200 quality post / 6 month participation requirement, with NO buy in, would eliminate all the problems we have allowed to happen in our classifieds. On top of that, there would be no "runners" wasting everyone's time with one liners to get in. :twocents:

You can find the Rules For The Classifieds :rules: stickeyed in six or more threads at the top of each classified section.
    All you have to do is read them. ;)

Beowulf

Master
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Mar 21, 2012
    Brownsburg
    Personally, I think the requirements to participate in the classifieds should be much higher.

A 200 quality post / 6 month participation requirement, with NO buy in, would eliminate all the problems we have allowed to happen in our classifieds. On top of that, there would be no "runners" wasting everyone's time with one liners to get in. :twocents:

You can find the Rules For The Classifieds :rules: stickeyed in six or more threads at the top of each classified section.

I have read the rules. Nothing anyone was complaining about when I made my original comment was in any way an infraction of them. The complaint was people with multi-year membership with a relatively low post count (though clearly over 50, since they can post), posting in the classifieds. That's not a rule infraction. That's people inventing behavior conventions that are unwritten and asking mods to enforce them.

In fact, the only complaint that is an actual rule infraction that I've seen in the last couple pages (after my post) is that some of these people don't close their threads (though somehow I doubt it's just "those" people as the previous few comments have shown). If you see that, then fine, report it, but don't just go hunting for low post count sellers on some sort of weird witch hunt.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup

Wouldn't even have to be a high number like 200 if the time frame came AFTER the post number. Member has to hit 100 quality posts and then the 6 month timer starts. It's on the member to keep track of the time and to PM a mod for classified access after their 6 months. No access unless all criteria is met and it's asked for.

This shouldn't be much extra for the staff since all they would have to do is verify and grant access. Place the burden on the member. Something similar has been in place for a long time when members pay to play early. They are required to send a PM asking for early access so they can get their post count adjusted and access granted.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    ...don't just go hunting for low post count sellers on some sort of weird witch hunt.

No one is hunting for anything. The problem is in our faces everyday, whether it's "pro traders" occupying top spots the classifieds or our inbox full of meaningless one-line posts running to get there.

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    If you stand back and actually look at the Forum there are a number of draws for new members. The classifieds is a big one. To put unrealistic hurdles in front of folks would reduce the head count in the welcome to ingo threads. Growth is all part of it. Not everyone is here to jump in the classifieds and start swinging. Some are. There have been several new names come in of late and most are contributing.
    Trust that we have all this in place for good reason.

Thanks for caring folks.

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup
    No one is hunting for anything. The problem is in our faces everyday, whether it's "pro traders" occupying top spots the classifieds or our inbox full of meaningless one-line posts running to get there.

Exactly. I'm sick of seeing WTS posts almost filling each page when I click the unread threads button. Same as the endless one liners. I see a thread I've posted in previously or am interested in and it turns out to be a garbage post intended to build numbers. I find myself clicking the button to mark the entire classifieds read several times a day.

Those that want to run a business in the classifieds need to purchase a vendor title. I'm sorry, but when a member has several thousand classified posts and very little in the way of real posts then they are running a business. Same thing goes for the "member" that hasn't posted outside of the classifieds for years. Their only reason for being here is to hock their wares, that's a business and they should have a vendor title.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Exactly. I'm sick of seeing WTS posts almost filling each page when I click the unread threads button. Same as the endless one liners. I see a thread I've posted in previously or am interested in and it turns out to be a garbage post intended to build numbers. I find myself clicking the button to mark the entire classifieds read several times a day.

Those that want to run a business in the classifieds need to purchase a vendor title. I'm sorry, but when a member has several thousand classified posts and very little in the way of real posts then they are running a business. Same thing goes for the "member" that hasn't posted outside of the classifieds for years. Their only reason for being here is to hock their wares, that's a business and they should have a vendor title.

I am eliminating the vendors as I can.
    Ease up there Angry.....:)...I got this.

Top Bottom