• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I started four years ago, and am down 70 overall. My best advice, is think long term, little changes at a time. Don't overwhelm yourself or you'll be far more likely to regress. Once you've started and cut out small things, and can maintain that, the rest gets way way easier. And being that greencastle isn't too far, feel free to get in touch if you head west, you guys can hike/ jog with the heathens and me :-) though they chickened out today, can't blame them though, boot spikes, boots, and wet snow don't make for easy mobility lol
    True, the snow sucks, I've been walking around in it all day, but it sure does make you work, the extra weight from clothes, lifting your feet higher than normal... It's worn me out...

Mrs Evilwrench

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2012
    I am working on getting my certification to teach "chair yoga". It is an adaptive yoga that still offers all of the benefits but is more "user friendly" for those of us who aren't fashion models. My sons and I call it "Fat Yoga", but it is really effective! I bought four extra-large folding chairs that will hold 990 lbs and I plan to target really big people, because no one else is really able- or willing- to help those of us who really need it. After I lost my job and my disability got really bad, I put on about 50 lbs. Limited mobility makes it even more challenging to take it off, thus "Fat Yoga" was born.

Another point that you won't hear from "weight-loss experts": big people need more calories than small people. The more you move, the more calories you will burn. So don't set yourself up for failure by increasing your activity and dramatically decreasing your calorie intake. you then put yourself into starvation mode, and then beat yourself up for going off your "diet". Make gradual food changes that you can live with. Instead of a whole chicken quarter, eat just the breast or the thigh, and fill your plate with more veggies. Try sour cream or yogurt instead of mayo. Spice things up with jalapenos or chile powder to cut down on salt. If you think of yourself as a vehicle, put only premium fuel in, and never overfill your tank- it's just wasted fuel!

And if you need to reward yourself, I know a pretty good massage therapy student who gives great FREE massages!!

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I am working on getting my certification to teach "chair yoga". It is an adaptive yoga that still offers all of the benefits but is more "user friendly" for those of us who aren't fashion models. My sons and I call it "Fat Yoga", but it is really effective! I bought four extra-large folding chairs that will hold 990 lbs and I plan to target really big people, because no one else is really able- or willing- to help those of us who really need it. After I lost my job and my disability got really bad, I put on about 50 lbs. Limited mobility makes it even more challenging to take it off, thus "Fat Yoga" was born.

Another point that you won't hear from "weight-loss experts": big people need more calories than small people. The more you move, the more calories you will burn. So don't set yourself up for failure by increasing your activity and dramatically decreasing your calorie intake. you then put yourself into starvation mode, and then beat yourself up for going off your "diet". Make gradual food changes that you can live with. Instead of a whole chicken quarter, eat just the breast or the thigh, and fill your plate with more veggies. Try sour cream or yogurt instead of mayo. Spice things up with jalapenos or chile powder to cut down on salt. If you think of yourself as a vehicle, put only premium fuel in, and never overfill your tank- it's just wasted fuel!

And if you need to reward yourself, I know a pretty good massage therapy student who gives great FREE massages!!

Good point. There is a weight level that gives diminishing returns and makes it more difficult to do anything about it. One thing about Myfitnesspal is that if you put in your dimensions, it gives you a calorie count for your size and weight and gives you a calorie count for your goal which is roughly 500 calories a day less for 1 lb a week weight loss and 1000 a day for 2 lb. They do suggest you do no more than 2lb a week. As you lose weight, it automatically reduces your daily caloric intake to conform to your weight. You can also add to your daily caloric intake depending on your exercise which keeps you on track for your goal because it is important to fuel your workout.

Jenny B

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2014
    Clay County
    True, the snow sucks, I've been walking around in it all day, but it sure does make you work, the extra weight from clothes, lifting your feet higher than normal... It's worn me out...

Most definitely had me worn out. Only did half my normal routine, but felt like I did double!

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    If you're larger framed and are seeking HEALTHY weight loss looking for quick results... I have a big one for you.

CARBS.

No, I'm not saying go on Adkins (No carb diet). I've done it several times in the past, it absolutely works, but it really messes with your body.

My recommendation? (As someone who went from 376lbs in June 2013 to 336lbs in October 2013) - Eat less bread. Drink more water. And everything in between that.
    Obviously everyone's body is different and will react differently, but with minimal work outs, I lost 40lbs in 4 months and I saw my gym maybe once every 9 days.

If you do add working out to it, the results will speak for themselves.
    I've always been an actively fit guy (basketball, football, gym, heavy weight lifting, etc)... but shedding 40lbs in that short of time frame really pumped me up.

Good luck,

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I started my diet on Oct. 12 and as of today I have lost 51 lbs. and 3 pants sizes No exercise except the occasional walk to the car, just strictly calorie counting.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    Well, since work is really bad the first couple weeks of January and my wife and I are leaving for a cruise today, I decided to start my program on return from the cruise. Actually, I hope to hit the ship's gym pretty heavily during the cruise, but also don;t want to worry too much about the food intake! Planning to enjoy myself and then hit the program on the 20th!

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    my wife and I are leaving for a cruise today, I decided to start my program on return from the cruise. Actually, I hope to hit the ship's gym pretty heavily during the cruise, but also don;t want to worry too much about the food intake! Planning to enjoy myself and then hit the program on the 20th!

Have a GREAT time on your cruise!!!

Well, I'm in the same boat. I paid for my upcoming cruise back in Jan. '13, long before I started dieting and I didn't spend $9,000 to watch other people eat! I will just have to put the diet on hold for a couple of weeks in Feb.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Have a GREAT time on your cruise!!!

Well, I'm in the same boat. I paid for my upcoming cruise back in Jan. '13, long before I started dieting and I didn't spend $9,000 to watch other people eat! I will just have to put the diet on hold for a couple of weeks in Feb.

One interesting thing is if you do lose weight and go on something like a cruise where eating is one of the attractions and you eat like a pig then go back to your normal diet when you get back, you won't see a huge weight gain.

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    Anyone do virgin healthmiles? I do it through my work at Norfolk Southern and its free. It takes your steps you take and assigns points for stepping a certain number of steps up to 100 fro stepping 20k steps, or by how many active minutes you get up to 100 for reaching 45 min. You can earn up to 500 dollars in a yr which is a yr that you sign up. They have many challenges for extra points and contests for vacations and whatnot. You can also get points for doing health checkups where you measure your weight and body fat and other things. Right now I'm close to making my 500 and only been doing this for a year. I do a lot of walking up to 4 miles a day for the railroad so made sense to do .

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I have started doing the Hasfit videos again for abs. Got on the treadmill today for the first time in a while. Did an oblique video, only 6 mins long but I'm already sore two hours later. Tomorrow could be rough. Feels good though!

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I have started doing the Hasfit videos again for abs. Got on the treadmill today for the first time in a while. Did an oblique video, only 6 mins long but I'm already sore two hours later. Tomorrow could be rough. Feels good though!

You should try twerking next Doc! :woot:

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    My weight has fluctuated a bit in the past 2 weeks. I have gained about 2 lbs overall. The good thing is that it has been 15 days without a cigarette or alcohol. I have cut out sugar by means of candy and have drank only water.

For now i eat when i want to counter the urge to smoke but it is getting better. In time i will address the eating habits and improve there as well but for now my first priority is no smoking.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    My weight has fluctuated a bit in the past 2 weeks. I have gained about 2 lbs overall. The good thing is that it has been 15 days without a cigarette or alcohol. I have cut out sugar by means of candy and have drank only water.

For now i eat when i want to counter the urge to smoke but it is getting better. In time i will address the eating habits and improve there as well but for now my first priority is no smoking.

I switched to water some time back and now prefer it over any kind of soft drink. I will get a sugar drink once in awhile (probably about 6 or 10 throughout the year) if I eat out, that or coffee. Nice cold water is so refreshing.

As far as cigs, great job! You are over the addiction (3 days) but probably not the habit depending how long you have been smoking.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Though I don't look it, I am in the mildly obese range for my height and frame in BMI. I know some people poo poo that but it is a general rule of thumb that works. I don't look it because I am tall.

The saying that goes through my head is this one, "You don't see any old fat people." By old I mean not many past 60. My dentist was morbidly obese and died around that age.

Depending on what you do to yourself, smoking, drinking, too heavy, you do relatively OK up to a certain point in life where it just seems to hit all at once.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    You should try twerking next Doc! :woot:

my wife didn't know what that meant a few months ago. I demonstrated, and she still had no idea :dunno:

Just looked at Hasfit. Very interesting. Thanks Doc.

Sure! The guy is awesomely simple, free, and motivational. My dad is starting to do some of the low impact ones he has. He has an online meal plan too. I watch the videos on my phone or iPod, but now with Appletv I use that too. When I'm playing with my kids in the family room it's hard to claim I don't have 6-8 mins to do an ab video.

Baditude

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 2, 2011
    SE Indianapolis
    Well I have a long way to go, 2 months not smoking is a big deal for me - I normally would have cheated by now. A big step to me would be to reach 250 (266 now) which would be the loss of all the weight I gained when I quit smoking. I know when the ground gets better I will be doing mountain biking. So far I have sort of done Medifast which is why I am not getting the results like last time (2011 I lost 50 lbs in 3 months) Can anyone recommend a good appetite suppressant that won't keep me up at night?

Top Bottom