• techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Look, the only real questions about the schedule are these:

1. In which week do you go from shivs to kukhri?
    2. Do you get to mill your own AR Lowers? (free hand or CNC)
    3. If you have a SOTIII standing next to you, can you start working on a can for extra credit?
    4. Can you make an 18" battlespork that uses a standard AR15 bayonet lug for mounting?
    5. Are you having fun?

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    There's the typical Mechatronics curriculum that takes almost two years and follows the normal school schedule, and there's also the accelerated 40 week program that has four 10-week quarters back to back with a week long break between quarters. All of Ivy Tech's 40 week accelerated programs award 48 credits total, just 14 credits shy of an Associate of Applied Science degree.
    I was just telling lovemywoods in a PM that I already have 1.9 Masters degrees. 1.0 in Comp Sci. 0.9 in Physics. I really have no use for another degree, but I want something that will finally get me a career. If I can burn through the entire ADMF curriculum in a year, I'm willing to give it a go.

Kr_Treefrog2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Look, the only real questions about the schedule are these:

1. In which week do you go from shivs to kukhri?
    2. Do you get to mill your own AR Lowers? (free hand or CNC)
    3. If you have a SOTIII standing next to you, can you start working on a can for extra credit?
    4. Can you make an 18" battlespork that uses a standard AR15 bayonet lug for mounting?
    5. Are you having fun?

Well, we are encouraged to make our own projects... :D Although the machines being on a school campus, weapons are a no-no. That's not to say you couldn't draw it up in MasterCam and machine it off-campus. Although, a lower looks weird enough that someone unfamiliar with guns would probably have no clue what it is. And as long as you don't intend to sell it, you don't have to buy a serial. As for knives, it's totally possible to mill blanks and handles; then find someone to heat treat them and put an edge on them. *cough*Tyler*cough*
    Battle... spork?? I had to look up your thread to see what the heck you were talking about, lol. In theory, yes it would be possible. The shop keeps several types of aluminum and steel on hand. It would be a combo of CNC lathe and mill work to create the threaded portion and shape of the... spork. A 4th axis machine would be ideal for this type of job, but we don't have those at the shop. It can still be done with jigs and such. We do, however, have a 3D printer that is normally off-limits to students, but I think that with such an unusual project, the instructor might be willing to help out of sheer curiosity.
    And yes, I am having MAJOR fun!

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    The Ivy Tech campus here has a pretty nice manufacturing facility that is fairly new. I have experience in machining, welding, and fabricating. That's why I chose Mechanical Design Technology. Which is more than just drafting alone. It also gets into the Engineering aspect of manufacturing. There are not many students in my program, and there is a high demand for Designers. Someone has to develop prints and 3D models for manufacturing. Not to mention, you can make a pretty damn good salary. If you get the oppurtunity, take some CAD classes as well. It's nice knowing how things work on both sides of the fence, so to speak. Now I just make it possible for the machinsts and fabricators to do their job. I miss getting my hands dirty though.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Titanium Sporks. Just $9 at thinkgeek.com.
    Titanium Spork :: ThinkGeek

Is it 18" long and bayonet lug attachable? If not, then it is not what I am looking for. Now, an acceptable alternate is a bayonet lug attachable tube with a heavy spring that will accept an 18" battle spork but be launch able like those old russian spetznaz ballistic knives.

While the thinkgeek sporks are a step in the right direction, this is INGO. We don't take small sensible steps; we step off the edge of the map and into the abyss of absurdity.

Kelly, if you think about this for more than a few minutes, I can supply whatever you need to turn a silly/fun idea into a final project for class.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    OMG! OMG! OMG! OMG!

Is that good enough esrice?

Don't blame your sister for intuitively grasping the design beauty behind such a primitive, yet advanced piece of battle, yet culinary, gear.

You are like the guy who said, "You're gonna glue googglie eyes to a rock and sell it?!"

No, my well trained brother. I tell you this, if the battlespork ever sees it's creation and emerges from the insane vision of a single visionary into the light of day on the training field, you will never forget it's effect.

Just imagine it now. A hot summer day of carbine training. The air is heavy with the stink of CLP and sweaty students. The perspiration of your well hydrated system drips stinging sweat down into your eyes, but you ignore it as your mind remains fixed on the instructor as he finishes explaining the next course of fire. He turns to you with the nod to get prepared.

And then in that moment, the look on the face of your sensei Yaeger when you latch that glistening 18" of cruel paradox onto your AR and cry out of your twisted war-face,

"FIX SPORKS!!! TONIGHT WE DINE IN HELL!!!"

Last edited:

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    P.S. Oh, and Kelly, if you get the spork made up, I will move ahead with getting an AR bayonet lug for welding onto the tactical cricket. That will be a whole nother bit of fun, but one well worth it. You mentioned threading, were you thinking of it threading onto the barrel instead of latching into the bayonet lug? If so it would still work, but would have trouble getting into the way of a suppressor - I am not sure, but I guess I can imagine a situation where both would be mission critical at the same time....

Last edited:
    Top Bottom