• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    We found a big pile of sandstone iron ore on our ground, wife uses it in her garden. Local history guy said it was probably somebody's iron stash a long time ago when people collected these rocks then made charcoal from local trees to smelt pig iron.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    We found a big pile of sandstone iron ore on our ground, wife uses it in her garden. Local history guy said it was probably somebody's iron stash a long time ago when people collected these rocks then made charcoal from local trees to smelt pig iron.

He who smelt it dealt it!

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    There is alot of hematite in Indiana and it is often confused for meteorites. Yours however, looks awefully good. Please keep us posted when you find out for sure.

Very cool find. You may have seen it in the spacerocks link for information on verification but if not this is local. Worst case he you get no response but email is free.

(verification only) Contact:
    Nelson R. Shaffer
    (812) 855-2687
    shaffern@indiana.edu
    Indiana Geological Survey
    Indiana University
    611 North Walnut Grove
    Bloomington, IN 47405-2208

^^^All of this^^^

This specimen looks pretty convincing to me. Contact Nelson. I know him personally and he will give you a straight answer. I'm interested to hear what he says.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    If it's an iron, it will display the Widmanstatten pattern of crosshatched lines when cut and etched with nitric acid. They aren't all that valuable - you can pick them up on eBay.
    xNWA-4710-Widmanstatten.jpg.pagespeed.ic.QFV_mhgzdv.jpg

iron meteorite in Rocks and Fossils | eBay

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    Ancient Foundry Slag?

Could be.... but the specific gravity is off from slag. The closest thing is Iron ore, limonite which has a specific gravity 3.6 - 4.0... But it doesnt look the same.... But bad news, I left it at my inlaws and its going to be a few weeks before I can do any more tests on it.

Specific Gravity Table for Metals, Minerals & Ceramics

proctologist have not been very helpful when dealing with stones in the past.... I need a Urologist..... they deal in stones sometime

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    As a former geologist:

I'll surmise that it's an iron concretion / nodule.

iron-oxide concretions & nodules 8

Also - you don't NEED a streak plate to perform streak tests. The bottom / unglazed underside of most coffee mugs should work just fine. But then you'll just end up with black stripes on it.

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    If I had it in my shop I would do what I did with a Nazi PPK I had in here...On the tag I put "Hitler's suicide pistol......?"

"Hey how do you know that's Hitler's suicide pistol and why are you selling it for what a common one would cost?"

"Look at the tag..."

"What?"

"See the question mark?"

"Yeah..."

"There ya go then...I'm a poor but honest shopkeeper..."

:)

"meteorite....?"

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    As a former geologist:

I'll surmise that it's an iron concretion / nodule.

iron-oxide concretions & nodules 8

Also - you don't NEED a streak plate to perform streak tests. The bottom / unglazed underside of most coffee mugs should work just fine. But then you'll just end up with black stripes on it.

So can you answer this... if magnetite and hematite are the most common of the iron concretions (which I also am thinking it is).... why would the specific gravity of my sample (3.9) be lower then what is listed on most websites.... like anywhere from 4.3 - 5.5....

Top Bottom