• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN

Nope didnt take temperature into consideration for SG because it changes very little in the normal temp range of households.

Dont get me wrong, I am still leaning towards terrestrial iron of some sort.... just dont know why SG would be so far off. I need to test it again..... but I cant for another 2.5 weeks.

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    Well I am fairly certain now its not a meteorite. Bummer, but expected. The streak test turned up a black.... which is a strong sign it isnt one..... So I decided to pop the rock into the tumbler and clean it all off.

4A64589D-D90A-4A91-95D0-9DE87A881313_zps8n0gpqmt.jpg

I have a buddy is a metallurgical eng. who works at an manufacturing company where they can grind down and polish steel auto parts and he said he would take off an end and polish it up and acid etch it so see what the internal structure is like o..... Texted me this morning that it is very interesting and that he is having a hard time cutting it down.... Stay tuned.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    The coloration MAY be an artifact of the heat from the cutting/grinding. MAY be.

Are those pits in the ground surface? I think I can see some small pits.

woodsie57

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    I found something very similar in my regraveled driveway- figured be a broken tooth from the gravel crushing machinery, in my case. Have had it for years, just not sure about it; looks an awful lot like the OPs find

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    The polished surface. Even though it's prolly not worth anything, I think it's cool looking and will keep it around.

Further more ore since there were some vesticules under the part that broke off, that confirms for me at least it's from the earth .... sad tromboner .

Plus we did a hardness test and the results.... let's just say it's limp or I would be harder watching a Mia khalifa video

4628CCF1-9676-4FDA-9472-479F970B9063_zpsnjqrwdu0.jpg

4E74B4CF-A220-4A21-B01B-48F216A97120_zpsm8mdx0xj.jpg

Last edited:

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    That almost reminds me of what my dad used to call "clinkers". As someone else mentioned, when our driveway was gravel, we would find those mixed in with the rocks. I think (IIRC) they were by-products from coal burning power plants (coke?).

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    That almost reminds me of what my dad used to call "clinkers". As someone else mentioned, when our driveway was gravel, we would find those mixed in with the rocks. I think (IIRC) they were by-products from coal burning power plants (coke?).

Cinders
    That's what it looks like, except for the fact that he said it's magnetic.
    It's probably a pyrite of one sort or another.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Depending on the hardness test, it looks more like a hematite with impurities to me--several different metallic compounds can show up mixed in with iron in igneous rock, and the crystal structure looks igneous to me. Probably an import from Canada in the last glacial event.

This is all from memory that I haven't used actively since the early '90's, so I am NOT guaranteeing any accuracy here--but those are my best guesses.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Depending on the hardness test, it looks more like a hematite with impurities to me--several different metallic compounds can show up mixed in with iron in igneous rock, and the crystal structure looks igneous to me. Probably an import from Canada in the last glacial event.

This is all from memory that I haven't used actively since the early '90's, so I am NOT guaranteeing any accuracy here--but those are my best guesses.

Agreed
    There are plenty of rocks and haystack boulders consisting of material that wouldn't even be here were it not for the glaciers.

Top Bottom