• ...and so much more!
  • cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    Handle materials.

Lets get two to four types by a popular vote!

Micartas
    G10s
    Cord wrap (some one ELSE gets to lead THAT $&@%**|€|£*{£ mess!)

Colors
    Type of micarta if you vote that way.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    I vote for the Micartas handles. I think brite green, blue and yellow would be pretty tuff. Plus it would be easy to spot if you dropped it in the woods, but would look more customized vs G10. Of course this is all still new to me, and I don't know how hard it would be to make.

Last edited:

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    Handle materials.

Lets get two to four types by a popular vote!

Micartas
    G10s
    Cord wrap (some one ELSE gets to lead THAT $&@%**|€|£*{£ mess!)

Colors
    Type of micarta if you vote that way.

I'm big on OD green G-10...but any darker earthy color is good with me. I'm also like natural canvas (brown) micarta, and it's one of the least expensive.

Never been a fan of cord wrapped handles. :dunno:

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    i just remember! i have two huge chunks of brown canvas micarta under my bench... they wiegh about 40lbs a piece and are 3" thick x 12" wide x 24" long!!!! wonder if i can get them cut down....... all directions.....

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    If you could get someone to cut them length wise so they're 1/4x3x24, you could make a ton of handles.

I've found that stuff (as I'm sure you have) to make good fixtures and work well for a lo tof other things. I'd love to have a chunk like that about 1 inch thick for a router table.

Andyccw

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    NW INDY
    I would be interested as would my dad who is into blacksmithing.
    It would all depend on the date... my wife probably doesn't want me to miss the birth of our child in late May :D
    I like bright colored G10 handles, but thats just me...

Maybe the micarta could be cut with an large band saw?

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    450 round trip miles for me. If I can carpool or get a new bike by then it sounds like a good time (as long as it's not the weekend of 5/17-19, wife's birthday).

My choice of steels would be CPM154, 1095, 154CM, 440c (in that order). I would prefer canvas micarta, and would not mind brown if that is easiest for you. I would ultimately like to have a nice utilitarian hunter, but would not be at all opposed to something along the lines of an ESEE 4. Do you have a ballpark figure on anticipated cost per participant? How many knives can be made in two days of instruction?

This sounds like a lot of fun and I hope to be able to be a part of it. Thanks for offering to share your knowledge with the rest of us.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    How many knives can be made in two days of instruction?

Probably one, especially considering the number of participants vs number of grinders and equipment. If one has no previous experience it may even be somewhat difficult to get even one knife ground and handled.

Honestly I'm willing to go just to watch people grind or help out if at all possible. While I'm new to this and don't know much, I do have the tools at home to make knives, unlike some others that may attend. I wouldn't want to take up time on a grinder when someone that doesn't have the tools at home could be using it.

philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    Probably one, especially considering the number of participants vs number of grinders and equipment. If one has no previous experience it may even be somewhat difficult to get even one knife ground and handled.

Honestly I'm willing to go just to watch people grind or help out if at all possible. While I'm new to this and don't know much, I do have the tools at home to make knives, unlike some others that may attend. I wouldn't want to take up time on a grinder when someone that doesn't have the tools at home could be using it.

I was more our less trying to figure out how many participants it might be limited to, or at least how many people might be able to complete a knife. If only one knife will be completed amongst the entire group it might be hard to justify the time for many guys. If there is time enough for 10-20 guys to complete one knife each, then it would be worth it for everyone. Anyone expecting to make more than one knife for themselves is just being greedy.

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    I was more our less trying to figure out how many participants it might be limited to, or at least how many people might be able to complete a knife. If only one knife will be completed amongst the entire group it might be hard to justify the time for many guys. If there is time enough for 10-20 guys to complete one knife each, then it would be worth it for everyone. Anyone expecting to make more than one knife for themselves is just being greedy.

I thought you meant each participant.

I'm going to guess that the blanks will already be heat treated. Making all grinding post heat treat will make handling and finishing a knife in two days possible. How much gets done really depends on the number of machines vs the number of participants.

I'm willing to bring my grinder and whatever other tools I have that may help. It's only a Coote, so I'm sure it isn't nearly as fancy as what the other grinders will be.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN

part will depend on the level of finish required on the blade. my thoughts are as follows:

day one:
    breakfast. 'cause i'm fat.
    introduction and run down of terms, process, and such.
    splitting into groups.
    -we will split into two groups or so, right off the bat.
    -one for the blade grind and one for handles.
    -group one begins blade grinding. we will take the blades to a scothbrite 220 finish. when blade is ground, maker goes to handle group.
    -group two begins picking and fitting handles. when the handle is ready for install, maker goes to grinder group.
    -as finished, makers begin glueing handles into place.
    -as group finishes glueing, we complete all knives with wrapped handles.
    -dinner, day end.

day two:
    breakfast. 'cause i'm fat.
    sitrep. overview of handle shaping and sheath making.
    -group one (first to grind) goes to sheath.
    -prep sheath design, size sheath blank, and ready their parts.
    -as complete, maker moves to handle shaping group.
    -group two begins shaping handles. to level which makes hand finishing easy.
    -as completed, maker moves to sheath making group.
    -sheaths are formed after handles shaped.
    -sheaths completed after last handle is shaped.
    -sheath adjustment.
    dismiss

the key is: we WILL NOT be polishing blades, or getting super crazy on a perfect finish. the realiity of the matter is: most finishing is done by hand, with just sandpaper and a backing board. this is not time well spent for the group. it IS something you can do in an home in the world, easily, without instruction. the blade finish will be a scothbrite 220. again, anything higher you can knock out at home, with sandpaper and a backing board. this alone will save us the most time.

we are going for a knife that YOU did most of the work on. and can be proud of that. we ARE NOT going for perfection. i think up to 20 knives may be possible. there WILL be down time. but it all depends on the group and how things progress. we can change the group dynamics as we go as needed, and with the several experienced makers in attendence, we will have a good bunch to assist everyone in having a great experience.

what will be done before the event:
    knives will be waterjetted. i will drill all the holes in the tang. i could waterjet them, but that is not how i like to do them. then off to heat treat. they will then be surface ground to a 400 grit finish PARALLEL to the cutting edge. this is where we will begin, as a group.

what do you guys think?

and, honestly, i hadn't even thought about a cost.... i sort of assumed i would fund it, except for food and drink..... i dunno......

Top Bottom