• ...and so much more!
  • philagothon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    On the 7th step
    what do you guys think?

and, honestly, i hadn't even thought about a cost.... i sort of assumed i would fund it, except for food and drink..... i dunno......

I think this sounds more awesome the more I think about it, I am definitely in. Anyone not willing to pay for their own materials does not deserve to learn the skills to make a blade. I am looking forward to it.

Judging from this thread, it is likely you'll have more guys yell "me too!" than you'll be able to accommodate. If it's free, you'll also have many flake at the last minute. Once you settle on a date let us all know and put the first 20 or so on a published list with the next 10 or so on a wait list. Give the 20 an appropriate period to send payment, then move to the reserves. Of course, it's your party and your rules, the above is just my :twocents:.

PS: Feel free to send me advanced notice so I can get my name on the list. ;) It seems like I always miss the cool threads. I'm really not sure how I managed to stumble on this one, but I'm glad I did.
    :patriot::ingo:

Gabriel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 3, 2010
    The shore of wonderful Lake Michigan
    they will then be surface ground to a 400 grit finish PARALLEL to the cutting edge...

Unrelated to the grind in...but do you do that or send them out? I have a heck of a time keeping things flat and spent most of the time on my last six knives trying to flatten things. Starting them out surface ground after they're cut out would make things 100 times easier.

northtownship

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2012
    Would it possible to get a spot for this? My girlfriends boy and myself would like to attend. Maybe even a get few tips for leather sheaths. I've made a couple for axes and knives, one was a plain bushcraft style and the other a copy of a bowie sheath for my nephew. Nothing nearly as impressive as Lagrange or DaKruiser though. I'm sure my nephew would like to come too but he's leaving for the Army in June.

jonkertb

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Putnam County
    Hope I'm not too late to the party, Just saw this Cubby....or is it Chubby? I like breakfast too:)

Please put me on the list and I'm willing to pay my way...shouldn't come out of your pocket...keep your $$$ for the breakfast menu :>)

where will this be...any motels close by? anyone for splitting room cost?
    have you decided on a weekend so I can put it on my calendar?
    thanks
    tom

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    I will be working to nail down the date in the next few weeks. I have made our BLADE reservations, and need to hammer out the details on Sausagefest in my mind.....

There should be plenty of slots and there are nice hotels within 10-15 minutes easy country drive.

kobra

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 25, 2008
    My boy and I can't wait for this. By the way, what's Sausagefest? That sounds interesting too! LOL!

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    Sausagefest is a Usual Suspects Meet and Greet we do yearly, in Angola. its a fantastic time. guns, knives, and all things bad to the bone.

releo 37

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Joe
    Get with me in a couple of weeks and lets see if we can get a date nailed down for the Sausagefest. That way we can get some feedback from the core group on what will work for them.

rjstew317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 13, 2010
    Fishers
    Don't know if I'm too late but I would love to get in on this. Sounds like one heck of an opportunity to learn about knife making.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    Should know approx date in a few weeks. Like I said, this takes a ton of planning. Materials, machines, services, and such must all be aligned and set up.

Hopefully by the end of the month. The steel sheet should end up at Great Lakes Water Jet at the end of the month I believe.... Pending.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    i have recieved several PMs about a list of attendees. i won't be doing a list until the date is set... it will be easier to not have to edit the list, on account of the attendee being unable to make that date. i think that will be the easiest.

like i said, i hope to have a solid date by the end of the month or so. alot of pieces to get shuffled into place.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    This sounds really neat, just happened to stumble in this section. I don't have any knife experience, don't even have a quality "daily driver", which I probably should look more into.

I would be interested in attending if there's room. It'd be nice to be able to take a knife away and know that I did that. And I agree with the others, at first read I would expect each participant to pay for the blank and the usage of your tools, and for you not to be paying for this out of pocket.

So yea...put me on the list, would be best if it was a weekend for me, and I'd love to camp out if possible.

SideArmed

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 22, 2011
    This is something that I would most certainly be interested in, as I have no knife making experience and have always been interested in learning. I would not expect this type of knowledge to come at no cost, so of course I would be willing to pay a fair price for it.

I am tagging this in anticipation of the dates to see if I would be able to attend. I would be coming up from the Monroe county area and would be willing to share some spots in my vehicle to others from the area to save a few bucks on gas.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    blanks are starting to be cut at Great Lakes Water Jet, by Dave Curtiss of Curtiss Knives! another local guy doing things in the custom knife world!

Top Bottom