• ...and so much more!
  • danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I was just wondering how many fellow INGOers were guitar players. I had a cheap Santa Rosa dreadnought I learned to play some back in my early teens, but I traded it to my uncle for a K-frame S&W .38 special snub nose when I turned 18 and moved out of the house. I haven't played since, and I've considered picking up another guitar and learning to play again. A co-worker told me that Takamine makes a good starter acoustic guitar, any other advice/suggestions?

Thanks in advance. :ingo:

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    I have played Acoustic, Electric and Electric Bass. My favorite is acoustic 6 string I just love the sound of it. I have a Washburn I got at a pawn shop that I couldn't be happier with. Trying to sell my electric and amp just because it doesn't do it for me. I'm more "country" then I am a Jimmy Page but still love his style.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    Also, Washburn, Takamine, Fender, Dean and some others make good starter guitars but I personally don't like starter guitars might as well play something "real" if you're going to play. My 2 cents.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    I have played Acoustic, Electric and Electric Bass. My favorite is acoustic 6 string I just love the sound of it. I have a Washburn I got at a pawn shop that I couldn't be happier with. Trying to sell my electric and amp just because it doesn't do it for me. I'm more "country" then I am a Jimmy Page but still love his style.

Thanks for sharing that, I think I saw your Epiphone Les Paul 100 for sale with a Crate amp in the classifieds earlier this evening.

I PM'ed another member about his Takamine acoustic listing, that seems to be more up my alley than an electric. Don't get me wrong, I love Led Zeppelin as much as the next guy, but I prefer acoustic guitars.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    Thanks for sharing that, I think I saw your Epiphone Les Paul 100 for sale with a Crate amp in the classifieds earlier this evening.

I PM'ed another member about his Takamine acoustic listing, that seems to be more up my alley than an electric. Don't get me wrong, I love Led Zeppelin as much as the next guy, but I prefer acoustic guitars.

Same here I love their sound but strumming an acoustic to one of your favorite songs with a cold beer you cant beat.

rbrthenderson

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    The Moon
    I play and sing. I've got some of my music posted here.

I have 2 Fender Strats and a Taylor 614CE Acoustic and I love them all.

Taylor makes great inexpensive guitars and they play great!

IndyMedic

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I have played a Takamine for many years. It is a higher end model and I love the sound I get from it. I have played many of there lower end models and I think they sound great also. I have also played some really nice washburns, Epiphones that I would like to have.

Pretty much the same as buying a new gun. Go to a store with a good selection and play everything you can. Pick what feels and plays the best.

jmiller676

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    18 feet up
    I have played a Takamine for many years. It is a higher end model and I love the sound I get from it. I have played many of there lower end models and I think they sound great also. I have also played some really nice washburns, Epiphones that I would like to have.

Pretty much the same as buying a new gun. Go to a store with a good selection and play everything you can. Pick what feels and plays the best.

:yesway:

Guitar Center, Pawn Shops, Local music stores.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    i try to play, lol.

I have a fetish with Gibson les paul juniors especialy. i now have 2 original juniors from the 1950's, and a les paul custom from the 1970's. and 2 billy Joe Armstrong (green day) signature Les paul juniors.

yes I have a problem, lol

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East

dont the Eagles play Takamine guitars?

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County

Thanks for the great advice. I understand choosing a guitar on how it feels, but as to how it sounds or "plays", I'm afraid my level of experience doesn't allow me to accurately judge a guitar.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    Thanks for the great advice. I understand choosing a guitar on how it feels, but as to how it sounds or "plays", I'm afraid my level of experience doesn't allow me to accurately judge a guitar.

if you skimp on quality you will regret it later in my opinion and experience. example ...... a epiphone by gibson will NEVER be a real Gibson nor sound the same or retain its value like a gibson. when I started out playing I traded up a few times till I was comfortable playing the music I wanted to learn, and then I started buying the guitars I wanted. Guitars are no different than guns. you get what you pay for. and if you ever decide to trade up or sell one you will be happy you bought the name brand.

kedie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Southeast of disorder.
    i try to play, lol.

I have a fetish with Gibson les paul juniors especialy. i now have 2 original juniors from the 1950's, and a les paul custom from the 1970's. and 2 billy Joe Armstrong (green day) signature Les paul juniors.

yes I have a problem, lol

Nice!!

My '97 Les Paul Custom.

S5003584.jpg

I play an Epi DR acoustic. It's OK. A buddy of mine has a Washburn acoustic, it's pretty nice.

danielocean03

Come in, Manacle Shark.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Hamilton County
    if you skimp on quality you will regret it later in my opinion and experience. example ...... a epiphone by gibson will NEVER be a real Gibson nor sound the same or retain its value like a gibson. when I started out playing I traded up a few times till I was comfortable playing the music I wanted to learn, and then I started buying the guitars I wanted. Guitars are no different than guns. you get what you pay for. and if you ever decide to trade up or sell one you will be happy you bought the name brand.

Totally agree, I feel the same way and the same goes for practically everything I buy. Thanks for the advice.

INyooper

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    North Central IN
    I mostly play bass, though I have a few guitars, including a Sigma (Martin) acoustic that I traded a dual 15 band eq for a dozen years ago or so. Take another guitar player along with you when you're auditioning guitars if possible. This helps in two ways; first, you get another pair of ears and eyes when looking/listening. Second, they can play it as well, which will allow you to hear the guitar from various places in the room.

Like others have said, you'll get what you play for (bonus points if you caught the LP reference ;)). Then again, a lower cost guitar now can make a great "beach" guitar down the road ...after you've gotten better and played a few (dozens) more guitars to help you know what you're looking for.

Just remember, it's not the destination, it's the journey ...it never ends.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    I've been playing guitar for a L O N G time. I have one guitar, a 12 string Washburn that is nearly 30 years old. I must have played 25 guitars before I bought this one. It's about sound and feel.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    I play and sing. I've got some of my music posted here.

I have 2 Fender Strats and a Taylor 614CE Acoustic and I love them all.

Taylor makes great inexpensive guitars and they play great!

Another +1 for Taylor is you are going the acousitc route.

2 strats, a LP, and a Taylor Big Baby acoustic.

Top Bottom