• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    I played until I taught my son to play and he quickly got FAR better than me. He had been in a fairly succesful band until they decided to tour across the country and he is still in school. Im very proud of him for making the decision to stay in school.

Let's see if I can remember the gear.
    Epiphone Les Paul
    Ibanez S 570 DXQM
    Alvarez Acoustic Forget the model
    Ibanez 7 string RGA 7 ( bought from an INGO member thank you)
    Fender P Bass
    La Petrie Etude Classical
    Peavey 6505 + amp
    Freakin Marshall 1960 B cab. You can turn this up to 11.
    Various other electronic devices, switches, pedals, boards etc. that I bought but have no idea what they do.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    my favorite pedal is my Boss, keeley phat modified blues driver

you want that true classic leslie west rock n roll sound, you get it out of this pedal and a p90 pickup in my gibson junior. makes me get quite excited just typing about it.

CandRFan

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 12, 2008
    Kokomo
    I've been playing for many a year. As a child of the 80's I have a couple of Jacksons and Charvels, but over time I've become a Strat guy (currently have three.) I also have one of the new Gibson 60's Tribute Les Pauls with P90s, an older Charvel acoustic and an Alvarez acoustic made out of Koa.

I also have a box full of pedals. If anyone is good with a soldering iron I have an early 80's RAT pedal that needs fixed.

Feel is so subjective...tone is too, though many of us guitar guys can agree on who gets great tone out of their rigs. I always say buy what you can afford and just play play play. Gotta crappy guitar? Play it. It'll only make you better.

Loar

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2011
    I'm a guitar and mandolin player. My advice to anyone looking to buy an acoustic instrument is to put primary emphasis on the setup of the instrument more than just the instrument. By setup, what a luthier (or guitar technician) does to make the guitar playable and help it sound good. Stuff like adjusting the height of the strings above the fretboard, the nut and saddle of the guitar. Having an average guitar with a good setup will be a ton easier to play (and sound better) than a better guitar with a poor setup. The first guitar I picked up was setup so badly I couldn't get a decent chord to form and I thought it was me. After months, a more experienced guitar player picked it up and informed me that it was virtually impossible to play. I would have given up thinking it was me.

In a nutshell, I would prefer to order an instrument sight unseen from a reputable place like Elderly Instruments who I know will do a quality set-up before the instrument leaves their shop. Plus, a place like Elderly isn't going to carry true junk so if it's in there shop, it's at least decent. I always shop with Elderly but Maurys music has a good reputation with Martin players.

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX
    I rock out on the electric bass when I get angry or need a distraction. Used to play in a fwe bands, but don't have time any more.

Currently have an Epiphone Goth Thunderbird, and a fender mustang (in the classic white of course).

You can knock on the bass all you want for not being a real instrument, but try and play music without one!

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    My practice setup is a Fender Squire Strat & a Roland Micro Cube, my good setup is a Schecter C-1 Classic & a Peavey Classic 50 212

Only bad thing is that I've been playing since Christmas of 1981 & I still suck.

amhenry

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Bloomington
    I've been playing bass guitar since I was little and switched more to electric guitar in college. I grew up doing woodworking, and studied Violinmaking at IU, so now I build my own guitars and basses on the side. I don't build many, but it's loads of fun.

Lucas156

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    Yeah I play electric and acoustic. Im no expert but I know enough to have a little fun. I started with an electric guitar setup and then bought an acoustic later. They both have their advantages and disadvantages. As far as brand I wouldn't be able to tell you which is better than the other unless I was there to play it.

G-Niner

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    I haven't played a lick for several years but this thread is getting me thinking about it again. I started with a classical guitar and still have a nice classical and a few really nice Martins. Strictly acoustic.

Top Bottom