• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PhxCollier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2017
    Indiana
    I would get a help desk, entry level type job in a larger company. They have, most likely, the most generous tuition benefits.

Get a good overview, then I would suggest a long term speciality like security, program management, or application development. I personally went back to school and got my computer science degree at 35, so I understand how hard it is.

I would advise you to move away from system administration long-term because I would be concerned about the move to the cloud ( and a lot of the admin jobs being concentrated into a few cloud providers).

Full metal gave great advice, and I whole heartedly agree with “ don’t be a dbag”.

Last edited:

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    I'm sorry, but I have to disagree with phx in regards to system admin jobs going away. That's just plain wrong.

Sure lots of things are moving to the cloud. But there are still lots and lots and lots of private /hybrid clouds. And regardless if it's a big cloud like AWS or rackspace or azure etc. This clouds are puffy bits of water in the sky. Those clouds are living on hypervisor's and storage clusters. Someone has to manage those resources. Someone has to manage the ever growing active directory environments, exchange, and the million other tasks.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Just a suggestion. You can often get an old computer for little money. Get one. Install Linux on it and play with it. Back in the old days when I was more into learning about such things, I set up my own mail server and would play with it. I would stay in command line only for a couple weeks every now and then. It would surprise you the apps available for CLI for mail, irc, Usenet, MP3 players, etc. okay, lynx isn’t an exciting web browser, but I used it back then. Learn BASH and do some shell programming. Compile your own kernel. You can always install an unupdated OS and try to exploit your own box.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    The A+ is a good start. And that is something that almost everyone looks at for a basic level of understanding of computers. That is the equivalent of a GED or HS diploma in our industry; dont have at least that, and you may not be taken seriously. (unless you have a degree of some kind or other higher level certs)

Look around and explore the industry a bit. Different things require different mindsets. I'm a hardware and networking guy. You couldnt PAY me to code and write programs. Too mind numbing and tedious. But others get their rocks off on that stuff.

Find your passion.

Udemy has lots of training for not much $$.

https://www.udemy.com/courses/it-and-software/

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Just a suggestion. You can often get an old computer for little money. Get one. Install Linux on it and play with it. Back in the old days when I was more into learning about such things, I set up my own mail server and would play with it. I would stay in command line only for a couple weeks every now and then. It would surprise you the apps available for CLI for mail, irc, Usenet, MP3 players, etc. okay, lynx isn’t an exciting web browser, but I used it back then. Learn BASH and do some shell programming. Compile your own kernel. You can always install an unupdated OS and try to exploit your own box.

Hell, I have some old hardware I'll GIVE you if you want something to play on. Wont be spectacular, but it will work and will help you learn. PM if you are interested.

fullmetaljesus

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Let's not forget about the awesome and inexpensive raspberry pi. You can even run a striped down version of win 10 on it.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Let's not forget about the awesome and inexpensive raspberry pi. You can even run a striped down version of win 10 on it.

From what I have seen it is VERY stripped down. I didnt bother downloading that it looked so bad. But Raspbian works awesome. We use it to power a web dashboard on a big screen in our helpdesk.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    There are some very good suggestions in here. Half the reason for my post here is to get a sub on this thread :):

i've been in IT field service for ~16 years now. I come here and read gun stuff and tinker with building, repairing & modifying weapons. I do not tinker with IT or computers outside of work very much anymore. I need a break from the super aggressive project timelines we're forced into at work.

In the past I have built and upgraded my own home network, PCs, RAID servers, media servers etc. You can gain some very good experience building your own equipment.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    Ethical hacking?

Yes, also closely related to pen testing

Yes. But if you know cyber security from an enterprise standpoint you can make some serious dough. Huge demand for these guys.

I use a pi to run a dedicated vpn to the office. It was easy to setup and I didn't have to buy an expensive endpoint. Run my laptop and an IP phone extension over it.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    As an aside, what is it that computer guys do for fun? Gun guys build/modify guns to suit a purpose. Car guys try to build faster cars and tougher trucks. What do computer guys find fun?

It depends on the computer guy. Hardware guys try to build and tweak hardware to get the most performance out of it like car guys do. Security guys tend to read up on the latest attacks and defence mechanisms. I can't tell you what programmers do, since I am an old Hardware/Security/SysAdmin guy.

I also play computer games as well for fun.

As far as advice, if you are interested in something, and you have a computer start learning on your own. Classes will help, but if there is no passion to learn about the field you are in, and it is just a paycheck then I am not sure it is what you should do.

I have switched my career multiple times and have had to learn new things all the time. I have done Helpdesk, desktop support, Windows Server Administration, Linux Administration, Network Engineering, Network and Systems Architecting, Business Consulting, etc. In the past 25 years technology has changed, evolved. I am constantly learning something new. Sometimes it is something I need to learn, sometimes it is something I find interesting.

Haven nailed it. When I worked helpdesk/desktop/network support, my passion was gaming and computer hardware. Nothing was funner to me at that time then building a cutting edge system from scratch, tweaking it to run the best it possibly could, than gaming on it. Now I'm 50, I did 16+ years on the support side of IT and I've been doing Information Security for the last 5 years and don't find computer hardware or gaming nearly as compelling. I still game on occasion, but just periodically stick a new video card in the ancient computer I have and call it good.

IT is a very exciting field is you are passionate about it. I started as a desktop support guy back in '99 and currently am an Information Security Engineer doing all kinds of cool stuff (to me at least) protecting some seriously critical things. Good post by fullmetaljesus. Read it carefully. I also invite you to check out a community that has been key in my professional development: TechExams. The fine folks there can help you set a path and provide valuable input on which certs will help you out the most. Best of luck.

One thing I've noticed in Information Security is that the people who do the best have an infrastructure background. Not just reading it out of a book and/or getting a cert, but on hands experience. To have the most well rounded experience, education and background, I would agree that a combination of school, certs and work experience is best. If you could find a decent IT job, like helpdesk/desktop that you could work a couple of years, then move to network admin/systems engineer/sysadmin, you would learn a lot about how the systems work. That would make a great foundation to moving into Information Security. That said, that's not mandatory at all. We just hired a 25 year old straight out of college and he's doing a pretty decent job and learning quite a bit. I do vendor risk and it's a good place to get a lot of good knowledge and experience with InfoSec. While doing your schooling with IvyTech, make sure you do at least part time work if you can, in the IT or InfoSec realm. If there is nothing else, take an intern position. There's nothing wrong with going straight into InfoSec, especially if you have an interest in the field. Passion helps a lot, in any field. I'll take a passionate worker who is less experienced but willing to learn over someone who knows a lot but doesn't want to be there, any day of the week. Don't be afraid to ask someone to mentor you, whether it be your manager, or just an experienced colleague. There are quite a few people who would be happy to help you get your career going. Study for and take the CompTIA Security + certification, as it will get you exposed to Information Security. I personally started in Vulnerability Management and after a couple of years, moved into Vendor Risk. Both areas were great, for different reasons. As mentioned, another great area is Cybersecurity, working on a SOC (Security Operations Center) or something similar. These folks are the "cyber warriors or protectors" who actively monitor for threats, intrusions and such and work to clean them up if something occurs. All areas of InfoSec pay very well, but Cybersecurity is the best paying for the companies I've been with. Upside is that you will learn a LOT working in such a role. Downside (for me) is that you'll often be on call, participate in calls at all hours and often work a lot more than 40 hours a week. Not such a big deal at your age, but at my age it's much less attractive. Key things that I like about InfoSec is good pay, flexible work hours, challenging work and the ability to work from home. It also helps that there are tons of openings around Indianapolis (and other areas). Companies like Anthem, IU Health, Eli Lilly and many others are always on the lookout for InfoSec folks, of all experience levels.

Hope that helps and good luck :yesway:

Last edited:

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    What about this course?

D E F G H I J
    COLLEGEWIDE CURRICULUM OF RECORD
    SCHOOL OF COMPUTING AND INFORMATICS
    NETWORK PENETRATION
    CERTIFICATE
    PROGRAM CODE:
    2017-2018
    LOCATIONS:
    Bloomington - Columbus - Evansville - Fort Wayne - Indianapolis - Kokomo - Marion - Richmond - Sellersburg - South Bend - Terre Haute - Wabash
    ALSO AVAILABLE STATEWIDE VIA DISTANCE EDUCATION
    Leads to certifications in the Cyber Security/Information Assurance field including CompTIA: A+, Network +, and Security +; and EC Councils: Certified Ethical Hacking.
    PROFESSIONAL - TECHNICAL
    CSIA 105 Introduction to Cyber Security/Information Assurance 3
    CSIA 106 Workforce Preparation: CompTIA Security+ Certification 1
    CSIA 210 Network Protocol Analysis 3
    CSIA 225 Ethical Hacking 3
    CSIA 260 Business Continuity in an Information World 3
    INFM 109 Informatics Fundamentals 3
    ITSP 135 Hardware/Software Support 4
    ITSP 136 Workforce Preparation: CompTIA A+ Certification 1
    NETI 105 Network Fundamentals 3
    SVAD 111 Linux and Virtualization Technologies Fundamentals 3
    REQUIREMENT TOTAL:
    TOTAL CREDITS:

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I started to go down this path. I worked for a little company a local hospital bought then later sold. I was entry level as it got and did basic desk top support. Everything from password resets to setting up new pc/monitor/printers. Virus removal, imaging new pc's for the clients. They offered to pay for me to go to school to learn networking so I took them up on it and enrolled to Ivy Tech to get started. About 4 weeks in they laid off desk top support and formed a new company shortly after.

Was kind of a blessing I got laid off. I learned I hate staring at a computer screen for most of my day, hate being in a cubical where I can only have my ipod up so loud and a boss constantly looking over your shoulder.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I started to go down this path. I worked for a little company a local hospital bought then later sold. I was entry level as it got and did basic desk top support. Everything from password resets to setting up new pc/monitor/printers. Virus removal, imaging new pc's for the clients. They offered to pay for me to go to school to learn networking so I took them up on it and enrolled to Ivy Tech to get started. About 4 weeks in they laid off desk top support and formed a new company shortly after.

Was kind of a blessing I got laid off. I learned I hate staring at a computer screen for most of my day, hate being in a cubical where I can only have my ipod up so loud and a boss constantly looking over your shoulder.

So you're saying you found out you don't like office work? Cause most places are like that, if you're in an office. InfoSec would be the same, for the most part, unless you were lucky enough to get a permanent work from home position.

natdscott

User Unknown
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 20, 2015
    Buckle up for a wall of text.......

First!

Get yourself an "A+ study guide"...

Bombard me with questions if you have them. I will do all I can to answer them.

I'm not going to full quote all that in the name of bandwidth, but what a great effort to help this young man!

Rep +1

-Nate

fullmetaljesus

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    What about this course?

D E F G H I J
    COLLEGEWIDE CURRICULUM OF RECORD
    SCHOOL OF COMPUTING AND INFORMATICS
    NETWORK PENETRATION
    CERTIFICATE
    PROGRAM CODE:
    2017-2018
    LOCATIONS:
    Bloomington - Columbus - Evansville - Fort Wayne - Indianapolis - Kokomo - Marion - Richmond - Sellersburg - South Bend - Terre Haute - Wabash
    ALSO AVAILABLE STATEWIDE VIA DISTANCE EDUCATION
    Leads to certifications in the Cyber Security/Information Assurance field including CompTIA: A+, Network +, and Security +; and EC Councils: Certified Ethical Hacking.
    PROFESSIONAL - TECHNICAL
    CSIA 105 Introduction to Cyber Security/Information Assurance 3
    CSIA 106 Workforce Preparation: CompTIA Security+ Certification 1
    CSIA 210 Network Protocol Analysis 3
    CSIA 225 Ethical Hacking 3
    CSIA 260 Business Continuity in an Information World 3
    INFM 109 Informatics Fundamentals 3
    ITSP 135 Hardware/Software Support 4
    ITSP 136 Workforce Preparation: CompTIA A+ Certification 1
    NETI 105 Network Fundamentals 3
    SVAD 111 Linux and Virtualization Technologies Fundamentals 3
    REQUIREMENT TOTAL:
    TOTAL CREDITS:

I don't mean to be rude, but many of those will be over your head. But the A+ will be a good start and the hardware software support may be a good follow up

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I don't mean to be rude, but many of those will be over your head. But the A+ will be a good start and the hardware software support may be a good follow up

If I recall IvyTech classes correctly, the 100 level stuff is all pretty basic. They should be introductory courses that will give basic understanding of the subject. I think the list looks great, but I agree that the A+ and Security+ will be very helpful to get basic understanding down.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    So you're saying you found out you don't like office work? Cause most places are like that, if you're in an office. InfoSec would be the same, for the most part, unless you were lucky enough to get a permanent work from home position.

Nailed it.

If I recall IvyTech classes correctly, the 100 level stuff is all pretty basic. They should be introductory courses that will give basic understanding of the subject. I think the list looks great, but I agree that the A+ and Security+ will be very helpful to get basic understanding down.

When I started back in 2013 we started with DOS from which you could move to the beginner classes for networking and such. Most of the "class time" was just showing up for a test and turning in homework. Most of the class was a software based program to configure virtual networks which we did at home.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    When I started back in 2013 we started with DOS from which you could move to the beginner classes for networking and such. Most of the "class time" was just showing up for a test and turning in homework. Most of the class was a software based program to configure virtual networks which we did at home.

My experience with IvyTech was similar back in 93-96, though we didn't have any virtual network stuff back in the stone age...lol!

Top Bottom