• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

tem375

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 3, 2010
    thanks for having us, it was good conversation, good people, good cigars and nice guns, oh and thanks for the detonics history lesson!!

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Glad to hear you had a good event. Just a little far for me (several hours) or I would have been there.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I didn't take a count, but I'm guessing we had about a dozen open carriers there puffing on cigars. We had several not smoking and several not openly carrying. Glocks and 1911s dominated the guns in holsters with a couple others mixed in.

chef larry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 27, 2010
    Hobart,In
    The best part of last night was the price to get in, FREE for good conversation and gun information included in the price. Met new people and some I met at Winamac last Sunday. It's a shame INGO members can't see a good deal when presented to them, yes I'm a new member and enjoy meeting new people who share a common interest, along with different information to provoke the brain cells to work and digest new ideas.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    The best part of last night was the price to get in, FREE for good conversation and gun information included in the price.
    You make a good point about the FREE thing.

The manufacturer of the cigars actually pays for these events other than the small meat and snack trays that I provide. There is no cost to anyone walking in the door, and the cigar manufacturer only cares that there are people who show up to smoke the cigars. The fact that he is also a LTCH holder and Pro-Gun advocate is just a bonus. His job is to host these events, and he really loves the gun/carry events because he gets to talk/smoke cigars and talk about guns too. We are the only cigar lounge in the state that hosts Gun/Cigar nights.

Last night was interesting because we had some competition shooters there. Those guys brought a new perspective to the event as the evening progressed. I've never competed in any of the new shooting sport events and it was interesting to hear about those from a first hand perspective. Last time I competed in shooting sports it was on the Trap fields in Whiting Park shooting clays that were thrown out over the shore into Lake Michigan. I'm guessing that ended just about 20 years ago. Clearly a different type of competition from the 3-Gun Shooters and Pistol competitors of today.

GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana
    Had a GREAT time Thursday nite! I regret that we had another commmitment and LadyGhost and myself had to leave early into the festivities. We BOTHsmoked several cigars and found that we liked them both. LOL Looking forward to picking up a few and smoking them at home.

Yes the conversation about competative shooting was interesting. USPSA and IDPA shooting is quite different from target shooting or shooting clays. I like to think of it as training for personal defense. (although the targets can't and don't shoot back LOL) I would recomend anyone that wants to shoot competatively to try shooting a steel match or two beforehand. IDPA and even more in USPSA you are moving from place to place while shooting so it's a bit more involved.

Again great meeting everyone and looking forward to the next one!

Tactical Dave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plainfield
    You make a good point about the FREE thing.

The manufacturer of the cigars actually pays for these events other than the small meat and snack trays that I provide. There is no cost to anyone walking in the door, and the cigar manufacturer only cares that there are people who show up to smoke the cigars.

I don't smoke but used to work at a private city club that has quite a few cigar smokers in it. The cigar company rep was a really nice guy. I asked about a few things just because I was curious and he was glad to anwer my questions even though he knew I did not smoke.

Some guys (members) would just come in and smoke for hours.... some smelled nice, some were over powering..... I got a little two much second hand at times..... they ended up putting these descent sized electrical air filters in the ceilings (about the size of an A/C unit that you put in an open house window). You could not even hear them runing and it made a HUGE difference in the smoke levels in the air.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Thanks again for having us out. It was good to put names to faces and meet new people.

Special thanks to Bob for being a generous host and selling Juan a Taurus.. great job!

And by the way... my sinuses were great for teh next 36 hours!!!!!!

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Thanks again for having us out. It was good to put names to faces and meet new people.

Special thanks to Bob for being a generous host and selling Juan a Taurus.. great job!

And by the way... my sinuses were great for teh next 36 hours!!!!!!

You have to go easy on Juan, he is a handgun newbie and was looking for a self defense gun for the house. He was unaware of the fact that there are actually expensive guns out there. I had him out to shoot at my house one day and even with a laser equipped CZ75 had a hard time hitting a target from 15 to 20 feet away. I took him to the Indy 1500 show and that really opened his eyes to what is available.

I think next time Juan shows up he may be wearing an old west sheriff's costume so he gets a bit more respect :laugh: But at least now he wants an AR15 and also wants to go on a big game hunt too. I give him credit, he does want to learn, but he was clearly in the deep end of the pool last Thursday evening.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    Through some converstaion I come to find out we live on teh same Street although on diffrent sides of town. He's more than welcome to come here to get some knowledge when your not overwhelming him!! LOL

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Poor Juan, just like Rodney Dangerfield he can't get any respect and besides one day he may own more guns after the Taurus.

ONLY IF HIS WIFE LETS HIM :rolleyes: Oh wait, maybe that's why he gets no respect :): :): :):

Actually he is applying for his LTCH and one of the NON-INGO guys at the cigar night was a competitive shooter and has invited Juan to join him for a day at the range. He is planning to give Juan some tips on shooting and I'm willing to bet that Juan will move up in firearm quality as his skill progresses. He and I smoked cigars together at the lounge today and he said he is really interested in trying to shoot in a competition. I suspect that he will do it, he's pretty competitive in life, competed in college sports, etc, so it is natural for him to want to push things.

BTW, for those interested in the new lounge that is being built, Juan met with officials in Schererville to get the appropriate permits and we should be moving forward pretty quickly with the progress on that lounge. The new lounge will be almost 3x the size of the lounge I own in Pine Island Plaza, will have 2 flat panel HDTVs, fireplace, walk in humidor, free Wi-Fi and several seating areas.

tem375

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 3, 2010
    Good to hear the other place is coming along, I had never had a good quality cigar until last Thursday, but i really enjoyed them. In fact I stopped at your shop yesterday evening and picked up a couple more. I will have to come in sometime when you or another "cigar guy" will be there and help me pick a some more out, as I know nothing about them and stuck with the ones like we enjoyed on open carry night but would like to venture into some other types and see what I like. I am already looking forward to the next o/c and cigar night.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    ...I will have to come in sometime when you or another "cigar guy" will be there and help me pick a some more out...
    I typically only am around in the mornings. I'm in the process of moving my office and I set up a temporary spot in the back of that store so I stop in almost every day. Usually I'm gone by 2pm. With the building of the new lounge I do some running around for that too, and occasionally will be in the Cedar Lake lounge. So catching me is best done in the mornings.

One cigar I always recommend, especially to people looking for a relaxing cigar, is the TABAK ESPECIAL ROBUSTO NEGRA. It is one of my 'go to' cigars. Bypass the light "DULCE" wrapper and go for the black "NEGRA" wrapper. The cigar, with the NEGRA wrapper is absolutely awesome, mild, and full of great flavors.

I do have a guy who works several evenings a week, his name is JT. He's a cigar smoker and a gun guy. JT can help you if he is there. He works at least 3 evenings a week.

If Viola is in the store (she's a black lady who clerks a few days a week) she actually is pretty helpful with cigars and has been known to smoke a Romeo y Julietta Bully from time to time.

GhostofWinter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Lake Station-NW Indiana
    ONLY IF HIS WIFE LETS HIM :rolleyes: Oh wait, maybe that's why he gets no respect :): :): :):

Actually he is applying for his LTCH and one of the NON-INGO guys at the cigar night was a competitive shooter and has invited Juan to join him for a day at the range. He is planning to give Juan some tips on shooting and I'm willing to bet that Juan will move up in firearm quality as his skill progresses. He and I smoked cigars together at the lounge today and he said he is really interested in trying to shoot in a competition. I suspect that he will do it, he's pretty competitive in life, competed in college sports, etc, so it is natural for him to want to push things.

For those interested Northern Porter County Conservation Club is having it's monthly IDPA shoot this Sunday (June 20th). Info is here:

North Porter County Conservation Club in Chesterton, Indiana

And here specifically:

Welcome to the NPCCC IDPA Web page

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom