• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    I know I can weather the storm, but the other side of me is always anxious to put more away than I take out.

The ammo shortage has caused me to spend a lot more time reloading, which has seriously eaten into by component stores. Now I find those difficult to replace.

I probably won't sell, even if it was a justification at the time for buying more.

Well, I might reconsider letting go of a case if 9mm hits a buck a round!

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    "Stick to the common calibers so that way you'll always be able to find ammo."

Time to retire that one, I'm thinking. Turns out that common calibers are the first to run out and last to come back. And since the only way to have a reliable inventory is stockpile/inventory, the benefit of a "common caliber" is almost entirely moot compared to stocking up on something just a bit less common. 38spl/357/40SW/10mm are all looking pretty appealing about now.

The only advantage to common calibers that I see is that you'll be able to stockpile for less in the intermittent seasons of plenty. But stockpile we must; there is NO caliber that is "abundant" when you need it most.

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    looks like you'll have to spend some of that

stimulus cash.......

and get a revolver...

maybe anorher cal. pistol.....

finally cave & start reloading..[/QUOTE]

Somebody obviously hasnt looked for components recently. Reloaders now are having the same difficulty as ammo buyers.

yep.......

I load & cast for MANY center-fire handguns & rifles.

I have ammo, components & time for ALL i need to shoot.

Check with the guy Greentiwn. east of Kokomo!

Also, you think I'm gonna Adv. where I get MY stuff?????

yep......

just keep lookin......

you got not other choice.....

buy guns, reload, be happy.:):)

openwell

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 31, 2014
    Carmel
    The hobby is expensive with or without a shortage. Things will get better one day.

no eye don't think sooooooooo.

I did back in 2012... when all ammo especially rimfire, that I could NOT reload without MAGIC......

Never has come back like before.

Riots & Dems in all big cities that Republicans can't begin to vote in...

Look @ Indy...
    I can't even travel there without bein
    "harrassed" by mask police karens.....

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    After the last shortage, I said "never again".
    I consolidated my calibers down to 4 and bought ammo with the proceeds from the firearms that didn't make the cut. I think I'll just sit back and watch this one play out.
    FWIW I got a fair deal on some top shelf 9mm right here on ingo classifieds recently, still some left as of writing this post.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    "Stick to the common calibers so that way you'll always be able to find ammo."

Time to retire that one, I'm thinking. Turns out that common calibers are the first to run out and last to come back. And since the only way to have a reliable inventory is stockpile/inventory, the benefit of a "common caliber" is almost entirely moot compared to stocking up on something just a bit less common. 38spl/357/40SW/10mm are all looking pretty appealing about now.

The only advantage to common calibers that I see is that you'll be able to stockpile for less in the intermittent seasons of plenty. But stockpile we must; there is NO caliber that is "abundant" when you need it most.

I think you are missing that point, I generally believe that point to mean if we were in EOTWAWKI (end of the world as we know it) the easiest ammo to find will while scavenging will be 9 mm, 5.56/.223, and .45. I Never understood it to mean there wouldn't be shortages at retail. In a small town of 200 homes how many would have .40 cal? 9 mm? .45? And it would be a smal miricale to find 6.6 creedmore...

dan1001s

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 24, 2020
    Fort Wayne
    still out there

For those that have stocked up and prepared for the lean times, why is it so difficult to believe that the lean times are upon us again?

This is exactly what we were preparing for, isn't it?

Is there a psychology that explains why we prepare for the bad times and then don't want to admit that the bad times have come? It almost seems like hard-core preppers just want to prep, no matter what. The times can always get worse so there is never a time to stop prepping. Maybe that is a true formula for success. I haven't figured it out yet.

For those that have recently decided to become gun owners or take practice-time seriously, sorry, you are too late.

For those that prepared, is it time to profit and sell down the stores a little (and risk the name-calling that will come with it)? Or is it time to sit back with the knowledge that you have done well and will weather the storm better than others?

OP, still 9mm out there, albeit at varying prices. Best i could get this week was .48 ea delivered on LAX. Found a local private source at .35 ea, but qty limited to 1k. As has been said, diligence in research matters.

rb288

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 14, 2019
    Grovertown
    Reloading your own helps.
    I, currently, have over 1500 rounds of 9mm on hand and enough powder, primers, brass, etc. to make 3 to 4 thousand more, quickly, when needed.
    My current rate of production for 9mm is around 250 rounds per hour.
    After that, I'll have to see how things are going.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I always tell myself that I will sell some during the next big panic and make some extra money, but when the time comes, I struggle to sell anything. I keep thinking "what if I need it"...

I am on the same page with Expat.

I always wonder why certain events or times create shortages of different caliber ammunition. :dunno:

I think I can remember a time when 45 ACP was very difficult to find. (I might be imagining this one.) :scratch:

I remember 380 ACP being unobtainable for a while.

I am sure we all remember the .22 rimfire panic and shortages which made no sense to me.

Now it's 9mm.

Rubix

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2020
    Harlan
    Election year, political unrest, riots... all factors. I'm ok for what I have and would like to buy, but the prices on everything are just nuts. New 2020 python reseller pricing, haha, nope. I'm waiting.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I am on the same page with Expat.

I always wonder why certain events or times create shortages of different caliber ammunition. :dunno:

I think I can remember a time when 45 ACP was very difficult to find. (I might be imagining this one.) :scratch:

I remember 380 ACP being unobtainable for a while.

I am sure we all remember the .22 rimfire panic and shortages which made no sense to me.

Now it's 9mm.

I just checked Targetsports website and it's not just 9 it's everything. No 9, 40, 45 or 22LR practice ammo.. It seems we're in uncharted territory.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&quot]

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” ….Coach[/FONT]

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I just checked Targetsports website and it's not just 9 it's everything. No 9, 40, 45 or 22LR practice ammo.. It seems we're in uncharted territory.

[FONT=&amp]NRA Life Member / [/FONT]Basic Pistol instructor[FONT=&amp] / RSO[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]"Under pressure, you don't rise to the occasion, you sink to the level of your training. That's why we train so hard" [/FONT][FONT=&amp]
    [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Unnamed Navy Seal[/FONT][FONT=&amp]

[/FONT][FONT=&amp]“Ego is the reason many men do not shoot competition. They don't want to suck in public” ….Coach[/FONT]
    I remember after Sandy Hook everything was cleaned out for a little bit. Most people only remember the .22 shortage but I can remember being astonished that even .45 Colt was sold out there for awhile.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    I guess I am a little out of touch with the shortage and didn't realize it was so widespread. MidwayUSA has very little ammo available. What they do have is extremely high end stuff at 1 dollar plus per round. I have a lot put back and reload often so I don't really pay much attention to availability. It is a little sobering.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Deprimed, sized and tumbled 1000 9mm cases today.

On a single stage. 2 hours of recapping and sizing.

If you can’t buy it, you have to make it.

Top Bottom