• ...and so much more!
  • indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    This shortage is the sole reason I broke out the press for the first time in years (see my thread https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/ammunition-reloading/482853-havent-done-awhile.html). It's been so long since I've loaded 9, I still had projectiles from a source only some members will recognize.

profire.jpg

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    So, honest question. Without the typical "I want a million rounds of *blah, blah*" that will surely follow this question, How much ammo do you really need?

Personally, I would think 2000 rounds is probably what an average person would shoot in a several year span. I have a range in my yard, can shoot whenever I want to, and find I really only go through 50-100 rounds per week. When people without a private range come over, they shoot a TON, and that's fine, but they don't do it often either.

People can't buy enough because they can't GET enough. People can't get enough because they're always wanting more.

My thoughts - a responsible shooter should have 500 rounds in a bag ready to go. If you own a firearm, you should already HAVE 500 rounds of ammo for it. The rest is hunker-down and wait stockpiling. Even if the world goes to absolute crap, 500 rounds will last most people longer than they'll be living as food and water will be a much higher priority than those ten ammo cans in the garage.

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    So, honest question. Without the typical "I want a million rounds of *blah, blah*" that will surely follow this question, How much ammo do you really need?

Personally, I would think 2000 rounds is probably what an average person would shoot in a several year span. I have a range in my yard, can shoot whenever I want to, and find I really only go through 50-100 rounds per week. When people without a private range come over, they shoot a TON, and that's fine, but they don't do it often either.

People can't buy enough because they can't GET enough. People can't get enough because they're always wanting more.

My thoughts - a responsible shooter should have 500 rounds in a bag ready to go. If you own a firearm, you should already HAVE 500 rounds of ammo for it. The rest is hunker-down and wait stockpiling. Even if the world goes to absolute crap, 500 rounds will last most people longer than they'll be living as food and water will be a much higher priority than those ten ammo cans in the garage.

That is an interesting question. Of course need and want are two entirely different things. Just focusing on need you are in the ballpark with 500 rounds. That would allow for some ability to practice and wait out a shortage. For TEOWAWKI all bets are off as no one really knows what to expect. If one has to bug out those of us with thousands and thousands of rounds won't be able to bring it with us.

There are plenty of reasons to stock up. I am old enough to have lived through many shortages. I also remember when a case of 7.62x39 was well under a hundred bucks and quality range 9mm ammo was 4.99/50. The price of ammo over time has only gone up. I always viewed stocking up as something to do when times are good (to save money in the long run) and not when the crisis is at hand. YMMV

Last edited:

schmart

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2014
    Lafayette

I would guess that the average person goes through much less than that. But the average gun owner doesn't shoot at all! There are way too many people who purchase a self defense gun and never go through a single box of ammo. However for an average enthusiast, 2000 rounds can go pretty fast. Between weekly league pistol and rifle shooting, plus monthly matches I go through pretty close to 200 rounds/week of pistol ammo, and over 50 rifle rounds/week (average). So 2000 rounds for rifle is about a year, but pistol is only 3 months. And I'm not anywhere close to what the gung ho enthusiast shooters in those disciplines go through.

However, I reload for all the above. When I get below 1K pistol rounds or 250 rifle rounds loaded I get nervous. However, I have a couple year stash of components and powder and start to get nervous when I get below an 18 month cushion (and that cushion grows thicker as I get older! :)

gmcttr

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 22, 2013
    Columbus
    Guess I'm not your average shooter as I go through way more than 2000 rounds a year in several calibers.

I don't stock ammo for a SHTF scenario where I can't get food and water or have to "bug out".

I stock for extended and repeated ammo shortages and the potential for changes in laws.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I think there are very few gun owners that are casual shooters. Most are either neglectful and 50rds is a lifetime supply or they are enthusiasts for whom 500 is a single range session.

Those of us in the middle are only prevented by time and money from being more of an enthusiast.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    As for how much is enough? Tough to answer because the "burn rate" varies so much. As we run low, we will shoot less. I'm down to my last couple hundred small pistol primers so when I load that up I'm going to be VERY stingy on shooting pistol.

I've got a reasonable stash of 5.56 supplies so I'm comfortable shooting that. I also think it's much better to stockpile 5.56 than 9mm because I'm one of those "pistols are for getting to a rifle" kinda guys. I'd rather have 100rds of 5.56 than 500 of 9mm in a true SHTF/WROL/TEOTWAWKI

Most of my 5.56 loading has been heavy match bullets (80gr+) for 600y shooting. I'll be beefing up the stash with some 69smk loads to have something mag length that supports an aggressive firing schedule. A couple thousand of those is sufficient IMO.

indyjohn

PATRIOT
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    In the trees
    As for how much is enough? Tough to answer because the "burn rate" varies so much. As we run low, we will shoot less. I'm down to my last couple hundred small pistol primers so when I load that up I'm going to be VERY stingy on shooting pistol.

I've got a reasonable stash of 5.56 supplies so I'm comfortable shooting that. I also think it's much better to stockpile 5.56 than 9mm because I'm one of those "pistols are for getting to a rifle" kinda guys. I'd rather have 100rds of 5.56 than 500 of 9mm in a true SHTF/WROL/TEOTWAWKI

Most of my 5.56 loading has been heavy match bullets (80gr+) for 600y shooting. I'll be beefing up the stash with some 69smk loads to have something mag length that supports an aggressive firing schedule. A couple thousand of those is sufficient IMO.

We went for a long time not shooting at all. Circumstances. Then one of our kids got their LTCH and began consuming our stores. So, with the shortage I started reloading again. Wanting to proof the reloads, I took some out last weekend and tried to hit an 8" steel disk at 20'. Let's say the reloads performed fine but the shooter did not.

This is were Aszerigan's point of 500 rounds may not meet the point of gmcctr's mark of thousands of rounds. ~Or somewhere in between.

I think the everyday prepper has to weigh a reasonable ground between enough rounds on hand and you'll never see it again because ITEOTWAWKI.

You have to practice to be able to stop the threat, how often you practice determines how many rounds it take to accomplish that goal. THAT determines how many rounds you have on hand at any one time.

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Deadman's Hollow
    I'm back to shooting the 357, 41, 44 magnums myself. Was loading up on Grendel, then it sold out. Started to load up on 7.5 Swiss, and now it's out. More loading and less shooting going on now. This poor Thompson isn't going to get any work anytime soon.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

My AR15 in 556 loves Hornady 75gr BTHP match and 8208 xbr. I just picked up some cheap 2nds they are fmj and are 75gr. I haven't tried them out yet but will soon.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    My AR15 in 556 loves Hornady 75gr BTHP match and 8208 xbr. I just picked up some cheap 2nds they are fmj and are 75gr. I haven't tried them out yet but will soon.

23.6 of 8208 is magic. Very warm but seems ok in my gun.

Top Bottom