• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    After a fierce bidding war (apologies if anyone here lost) I've acquired Ghost Ring Sight Kit by Mossberg, for my Mossberg 500
    pix448240193.jpg

My receiver is drilled that I can can just screw in the rear sight, but the front sight is confounding me. Or actually everyone's online comments are. If a gunsmith is just going to JB weld it on anyways, I do I have to pay someone to do it?

If I'm missing something please tell me, I want it to be done well, but I don't see. Even with a smith I'm unlikely to go the silver solder route...

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    OK, well, I'm assuming the front is steel.

Don't JB Weld the thing. It won't stay. You need to brush off the bluing where you want to put the front sight. Prepare the bottom of the front sight, the top of the barrel, add flux and silver solder, clamp, and hit it with MAP torch of appropriate heat until the silver solder melts.

Refinish using touchup bluing.

Josh

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    Josh forgot to tell you to use a wooden dowel inside the barrel to help dissipate the heat so you do not affect the metallurgy of the steel. There is also a great product sold by brownell's to help with the heat I don't recall the name of it and it is too late for me to search.

Rating - 100%
    139   0   0
    Sep 3, 2010
    Called Mike at crackshot in Anderson.....+1 for helpful information and friendliness, but says he doesn't do the bluing anymore and touchup won't look right at all.

He actually said I should go ahead and JB weld it, because whats the worst that will happen, and if I gunsmith it on it'll be $$$.
    Said he used to do the whole process for 40 dollars but you won't find that anymore, and no one local so I'll have to take a drive anyways.

And Yes the front sight is steel, John.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/...g?t=1291765278

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/...directions.jpg

Edit: I should add that Mike recommended putting the gun in a vice and finding level off the bottom of the receiver, then finding center on the end of the barrel with a combination of a lateral level and the eye sighting.

For future use.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom