Instructors limiting gear/equipment choices??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Why is the BUG a mouse gun?

How would I carry a second full size? I know you carry two on your belt when you carry, but I've fought way more people than I've shot and retention of two belt guns could be problematic. Plus, even in plain clothes I have a radio, spare mag, cuffs, tourniquet, badge, and duty gun on my belt. Unless I want to carry SOB, and I don't, my options are pretty limited. On Uniform details, my belt is completely full, so again, where would I carry it?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    How would I carry a second full size? I know you carry two on your belt when you carry, but I've fought way more people than I've shot and retention of two belt guns could be problematic. Plus, even in plain clothes I have a radio, spare mag, cuffs, tourniquet, badge, and duty gun on my belt. Unless I want to carry SOB, and I don't, my options are pretty limited. On Uniform details, my belt is completely full, so again, where would I carry it?

You need to gain some weight so you'll have more belt space.

You make a good point about the career-specific gear you are obligated to carry that we are not, though. I have no use for handcuffs or a belt-mounted radio. I carry my tourniquet in a pocket.

Given that, I've seen uniformed cops with two pistols on their belts (not in Indiana). For example, when the show "COPS" filmed in Pittsburgh, several of the police officers wore two pistols. I am assuming, of course, that it wan't just for the tv show.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    You need to gain some weight so you'll have more belt space.

j9p0f.jpg

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Given that, I've seen uniformed cops with two pistols on their belts (not in Indiana). For example, when the show "COPS" filmed in Pittsburgh, several of the police officers wore two pistols. I am assuming, of course, that it wan't just for the tv show.

You sure it wasn't the big 2 shot Taser?

I won't say "all", but most PDs prohibit a second visible gun due to retention issues.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Let me inject something more valuable into this thread. Because I don't want to be referred to as a gear guy because that is not who I am.

[video=youtube;3D5lMyo3fp0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3D5lMyo3fp0[/video]

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    You sure it wasn't the big 2 shot Taser?

I won't say "all", but most PDs prohibit a second visible gun due to retention issues.

Absolutely sure they were not tasers. They were second handguns. That's why I remember it . . . it was unusual. One of them had one of those RCMP Mountie-style shoulder straps to support the extra weight. You also don't see that very often anymore.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville

I have been in more than a few fights. You are a smart guy figure it out. Why does it have to be on your belt?

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    The whole world is not about cops. I know that is hard to believe for some.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Why is the BUG a mouse gun?

In my case deep concealment is the biggest concern so the smaller the better.

That said, I admit there are other guns out there in a larger caliber with just a slightly larger footprint than the LCP, but the little Ruger is what I've got right now and it's just so damn easy to carry.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    In my case deep concealment is the biggest concern so the smaller the better.

That said, I admit there are other guns out there in a larger caliber with just a slightly larger footprint than the LCP, but the little Ruger is what I've got right now and it's just so damn easy to carry.

I just cannot get my head around a 3-4 pound object being hard to carry. If you have to use that thing to survive what are you going to want in your hand?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I have been in more than a few fights. You are a smart guy figure it out. Why does it have to be on your belt?

Craig Douglas' ECQC proved to me I'm not terribly smart in this arena and I'll just listen to Craig, who is smart in this arena.

The whole world is not about cops. I know that is hard to believe for some.

Sure. Others who aren't cops are free to answer from their perspective, just as I answered from mine.

Despite the multitude of rabbit holes, my point remains the same:

If the goal of a self-defense course is to increase the survivability of the students, and if we accept that someone who is trained and armed with a .380 they know how to use has increased survivability over someone untrained and armed with any handgun at all, it isn't logical to not train someone based on the caliber of the handgun they bring to class. It is logical to train them and to also take that opportunity to explain the advantage of a duty caliber and/or larger handgun.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    Craig Douglas' ECQC proved to me I'm not terribly smart in this arena and I'll just listen to Craig, who is smart in this arena.

Sure. Others who aren't cops are free to answer from their perspective, just as I answered from mine.

Despite the multitude of rabbit holes, my point remains the same:

If the goal of a self-defense course is to increase the survivability of the students, and if we accept that someone who is trained and armed with a .380 they know how to use has increased survivability over someone untrained and armed with any handgun at all, it isn't logical to not train someone based on the caliber of the handgun they bring to class. It is logical to train them and to also take that opportunity to explain the advantage of a duty caliber and/or larger handgun.

It is also logical that if they are better armed with a suitable caliber that their survivability is even higher than if they are trained and equipped with a lessor gun or caliber. A false sense of security is one thing that I try and guard against in all of my classes. I can take nearly anyone and make them better. I cannot make anyone a ninja. I see training someone up with a sub par gun as going half way. I am not interested in half way or good enough.

Top Bottom