• Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    A good friend of mine came to my office and this was the conversation:

Him: I know you are a gun guy, but I saw something even you would have been upset about.

Me: What was it?

Him: I took [his son] to Bounce Town in Greenwood and a guy was walking around with a Glock on his hip, in the open. There was no need for that! He wasn't security, so why did he need that.

Me: Because he could.

INSERT HIS PUZZLED LOOK

Him: I'm not sure what the law is, but I was going to ask him to cover it up or something.

Me: I would have told you to go jump.

Him: Why?

Me: I have good friend who was out to dinner with a group of people and as the evening progressed he went to the restroom. Shortly after returning to his table, the manager came over and asked if he could have a word with him. The left the dining are and walked closer to the entrance of the restaurant. The manager asked if he would please cover his gun, because some of the customers were nervous and he would really... Before he could finish, my friend, while reaching in his pocket, asked, "If I clipped by badge to my belt, will that make it better?" The manager began kissing his rear and... [you know how it ends].

Him: You are absolutely right! That guy could have been a cop. But, he was dressed in flip flops and shorts and didn't look...

Me. [quickly interjecting] It shouldn't make a difference if the guy was a cop or not. The law states that he can carry concealed or in the open is he has a license to do so.

Him: Is that what the law says? I didn't know that.

He's not totally converted, but wants to go to the range. I only wish this city [Bloomington] had a range! I have had so many people want to give guns and shooting sports a try, but there is nowhere to go in B-Town. BTW, which one of you was in Bounce Town OCing your G19? :D

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Good story. Always interesting to see how some people treat law enforcement differently when it involves carrying a firearm. Hopefully once work friend thinks it over a bit he will realize that everyone has the civic responsibility to be armed.

85t5mcss

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Zionsville-NW Indy
    Que, good job on educating the friend without getting bent out of shape.

BUT, I goota ask. If he is a "good friend" of yours, how did he not already know this? You have shared so much info with this internet family I just assumed that anyone around you in person had a similar wealth of knowledge.

And I hope the G19 wasn't the one that got "the mag kicked out of her".

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    What always bothers me about these stories is why on earth someone thinks it's a good idea to approach a stranger to tell them to cover up their gun. These folks are often the same kinds of folks who are happy talking loudly on their cell phones while disrupting the conversations of everyone around them.

RobbLG

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2010
    Ive never heard Greenwood called Bounce town. I wonder why the nickname

I took it from the story that "Bounce Town" was a Kid's play area... I would guess that it probably has the inflatables that kids can jump in...

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    We need to educate people, not confront them. Just say "he's within his rights to carry concealed (if he has CWP) or not. If he was dangerous he would be pointing it at people, whether you'd seen it on him before that or not." Yes, you never know who might go off, but someone who is forthright enough to carry open is not likely to be a threat. Just carrying is not a threat in itself.

edsinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    NE Indiana
    This is why you must get one of the "concealed carry permit' badges and clip it to your belt, then you can play cops and robbers.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Que, good job on educating the friend without getting bent out of shape.

BUT, I goota ask. If he is a "good friend" of yours, how did he not already know this? You have shared so much info with this internet family I just assumed that anyone around you in person had a similar wealth of knowledge.

And I hope the G19 wasn't the one that got "the mag kicked out of her".

I love God and guns, but I force neither down the throats of my friends. Both should be freely embraced with joy and love. My friend knows how I feel about guns, I think that is why he came to me with the conversation. I have never OC'd in B-Town, so he may have thought he found something we could agree is wrong with gun ownership. :dunno:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    What always bothers me about these stories is why on earth someone thinks it's a good idea to approach a stranger to tell them to cover up their gun. These folks are often the same kinds of folks who are happy talking loudly on their cell phones while disrupting the conversations of everyone around them.

Whenever I read these stories, similar to mine, I see where people say, "I was" or "I should have"; however, I rarely if ever have seen where they walked up to an armed person and demand they cover their gun. They will get someone else to do it (restaurant manager) or not say anything at all.

Captain Bligh

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    ...Me. [quickly interjecting] It shouldn't make a difference if the guy was a cop or not. The law states that he can carry concealed or in the open is he has a license to do so...

Technically incorrect; the law doesn't say this. The law says nothing at all on the subject, therefore open carry is not prohibited nor is concealed carry required. :rules:

Otherwise, you provided him with a good education.

Top Bottom