• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    What’s the issues with the gun? I’ve seen that and some ruger 10/22 conversion kits. I’m leaning towards a 10/22 with as much as you can do with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1) The trigger bar is a very long, too thin, piece of metal with a bend in it. Consequently, it flexes when you pull the trigger making for a very long, mushy trigger. With time, it eventually becomes so flexible that the gun won't fire when you pull the trigger! Fortunately, this is actually a very simple fix, you simply beef up the trigger bar. In my case, a couple of additional pieces of metal epoxied to it have worked wonders.

2) The plastic stock will bind the magazine and cause failures to feed if you tighten the screws all of the way back up when you reassemble it after cleaning. The solution is simple, you don't torque the screws all the way down. I suspect this issue is what plagued it more than anything since it made the gun unreliable for anyone that didn't read the manual.

3) There are 2 small springs that come off and are easily lost when cleaning it. They are a real pain. Fortunately, you do have the option of just leaving them off if they get lost. The only thing that fails to work without them is the magazine safety and the bolt hold open, the gun functions fine otherwise. I have always been careful with them, so mine still works in all respects.

I really, really like this gun, a lot of fun, easy to shoulder, great balance, and amazingly accurate. However, anytime I clean it I am left scratching my head wondering how Walther ever let something get into production with such obvious flaws that would have been so easy to fix. It almost makes you angry how much potential this rifle had if they had just done it right.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    So like, you know just saying... If and its a big If... But if I wanted such a wonderful rifle.. What would be some of the things to look for...???? and say you only wanted to get one because my butt can not pay for all the kick ass variations I am seeing what would you recommends one looks for..

They are pricey and shooting the short's will cost more than lr but they can be had. You never go wrong with getting them like they came from the factory. The factory only made 3 variations, I like the third.

I have seen two for sale in the last month, talked my brother into buying this one...

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    They are pricey and shooting the short's will cost more than lr but they can be had. You never go wrong with getting them like they came from the factory. The factory only made 3 variations, I like the third.

I have seen two for sale in the last month, talked my brother into buying this one...

I was intrigued that they started making those in LR 1st and then went to Short.. would have thunked it just the opposite. But that must speak to the fact that at one time in this world 22 shorts were cheaper and more plentiful.

PS

Nice looking rifle.

Do the flaming bomb marked rifles command more then not??

russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    What’s the issues with the gun? I’ve seen that and some ruger 10/22 conversion kits. I’m leaning towards a 10/22 with as much as you can do with them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1) The trigger bar is a very long, too thin, piece of metal with a bend in it. Consequently, it flexes when you pull the trigger making for a very long, mushy trigger. With time, it eventually becomes so flexible that the gun won't fire when you pull the trigger! Fortunately, this is actually a very simple fix, you simply beef up the trigger bar. In my case, a couple of additional pieces of metal epoxied to it have worked wonders.

2) The plastic stock will bind the magazine and cause failures to feed if you tighten the screws all of the way back up when you reassemble it after cleaning. The solution is simple, you don't torque the screws all the way down. I suspect this issue is what plagued it more than anything since it made the gun unreliable for anyone that didn't read the manual.

3) There are 2 small springs that come off and are easily lost when cleaning it. They are a real pain. Fortunately, you do have the option of just leaving them off if they get lost. The only thing that fails to work without them is the magazine safety and the bolt hold open, the gun functions fine otherwise. I have always been careful with them, so mine still works in all respects.

I really, really like this gun, a lot of fun, easy to shoulder, great balance, and amazingly accurate. However, anytime I clean it I am left scratching my head wondering how Walther ever let something get into production with such obvious flaws that would have been so easy to fix. It almost makes you angry how much potential this rifle had if they had just done it right.

It's an Umarex Walther. I think they basically gave some engineering interns with no prior firearms experience free reign and no mentor. The Walther CCP has the same problem: fantastic gun in principle spoiled by ****-poor, rank amateur mistakes and oversights with poor QC spawned from not knowing how much variation was a problem. "Real" Walthers (PPK, P99, PPQ, etc),were and still are fantastic shooters, Umarex Walthers have severely tarnished the reputation (PK380, PK22, CCP, G22, Creed, etc)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

Love the look of that! Also guessing they cost more than I am willing to pay. :):

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I was intrigued that they started making those in LR 1st and then went to Short.. would have thunked it just the opposite. But that must speak to the fact that at one time in this world 22 shorts were cheaper and more plentiful.

PS

Nice looking rifle.

Do the flaming bomb marked rifles command more then not??

Yep, the military marked are more sought after.

The Army sold them to NRA shooting clubs for $1.25 back in the day...

Johnnn

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 15, 2015
    Garrett
    Couldn’t ever get ahold of one, but one of my first firearms was a beretta neos. I ballpark round count at 15k+ with no issues. Great shooter with 6” barrel and 10 round magazine. They made a conversion kit to make it into a carbine. And I haven’t looked in years but it would make for a good little camp/backpack gun. If anyone has one collecting dust I’ll be happy to take it off their hands :)
    View attachment 80696

Last edited:

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    did you know daisy (the airgun company) made 22 rifles?, i know where 2 are for sale, ones a bolt action
    https://www.gunbroker.com/item/825705549

ones a semi auto
    https://www.gunsamerica.com/userimages/130654/903027718/wm_7576281.jpg

the bolt action has a removeable 10 shot mag that is like the 10 round rotary mag on a 10/22, and if you push in the black button on the back of the stock, the can extend out the butt of the stock (its adjustable for lop)
    and you charge the semi auto by pushing back the piece that's sticking out the front of the forearm

both guns have a plastic "woodgrain" stock, they didn't sell very well, and I think they're from the 70's

their pretty cool and the ones we have for sale are cheaper that the ones listed above!

Mid 80's is when I bought my Daisy legacy at Wallyworld, 10 shot bolt action. Also there was single shot bolt action offered. They were takedown rifles that came with a tool to unscrew the halves apart. Daisy even sold wooden stocks and fore ends. Sadly it was one of the few guns I have sold.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Couldn’t ever get ahold of one, but one of my first firearms was a beretta neos. I ballpark round count at 15k+ with no issues. Great shooter with 6” barrel and 10 round magazine. They made a conversion kit to make it into a carbine. And I haven’t looked in years but it would make for a good little camp/backpack gun. If anyone has one collecting dust I’ll be happy to take it off their hands :)
    View attachment 80696

I've never even seen one of those carbine conversion kits in person. Years ago, shortly after they came out, I saw a few on Gunbroker but they brought big $$$ - quite a bit higher than the MSRP. I've been casually keeping my eyes open for one, but no luck. Since the carbine is the way I really wanted it, I'll probably end up selling the pistol even though it works well.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    Mid 80's is when I bought my Daisy legacy at Wallyworld, 10 shot bolt action. Also there was single shot bolt action offered. They were takedown rifles that came with a tool to unscrew the halves apart. Daisy even sold wooden stocks and fore ends. Sadly it was one of the few guns I have sold.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the Daisy V/L rifle that fired caseless .22 ammunition.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daisy_V/L

2615530_03__22_daisy_heddon_vl_rifle_640.jpg

DSC00333_web.jpg

DSC00315_web.jpg

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    attachment.php

The good ole Calico M-100. Were "modified" into a "laser firing weapon" in the movie "Spaceballs"

The top example was owned by an engineer of the original Calico Light Weapons System group. I called them many times way back when getting parts and talking about how the clinton weapon stupidity affected them. It was in one of those phone calls that they verified that the top rifle was one of, if not the only one made with a removable muzzle device. Due to the clinton fear of flash hiders, subsequent rifles had the device as part of the front sight with an unthreaded barrel, as shown in the lower rifle. The drum magazine, holding 100 rounds of .22LR drove the clinton people crazy as it didn't fit his magazine ban as written.

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    The "Winder Musket" is a fine shooter.

Ok you got me for one... Went to an auction today and got one. Did not even go to that rifle. But it was very clean. Was not the best deal I ever got but I liked the rifle alot.. What I like about is how when you drop the block to load it, the trigger goes down with it, then when the block comes up the trigger is cocked. Now that is nifty. Much more elegant than a rolling block or lots of the cheaper Boys rifles that require you to cock the hammer and then load the shell as 2 separate operations.

Attachments

• winmusk1.jpg
      winmusk1.jpg
      891.6 KB · Views: 13
    • winmusk2.jpg
      winmusk2.jpg
      640.9 KB · Views: 9
    • winmusk3.jpg
      winmusk3.jpg
      940.6 KB · Views: 10
    • DSCF1346.jpg
      DSCF1346.jpg
      775.4 KB · Views: 12
    • DSCF1347.jpg
      DSCF1347.jpg
      696.9 KB · Views: 11

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    Don't keep your head behind it when lowering the lever. Mine will shoot the empty case straight back with some attitude.

I can't find a thing to fault this design, hours of fun to shoot. Squirrels will shudder at the sound of your name.

Excellent purchase!

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Don't keep your head behind it when lowering the lever. Mine will shoot the empty case straight back with some attitude.

I can't find a thing to fault this design, hours of fun to shoot. Squirrels will shudder at the sound of your name.

Excellent purchase!

squirrels.jpg

......... Now I am become death the destroyer of Squirrels...

Hey now I like it even more more... Lots of those 22 extractors, especially on those 22 military conversion, one has to go in and get the shell case.

Any idea what the government purchase price was for these in the day???

Oh yeah, I need to thank you for pointing this rifle out to me.. That is one hell of a rifle.

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I think the original purchase price in 1918-1919 was about $20. The gov was buying 1903's for $25- $25.50 during the war.

They quickly changed to a bolt action trainer and during the depression the army sold the Winder's to NRA shooting clubs for $1.25.

To hold one is to have it scream "QUALITY" to you.

I see they changed the rear peep on yours also. The original was a smaller outer diameter with a larger inside diameter. The old timers would either change them or thread a McDonald's coffee stirrer through them to decrease the id.

Put one of these on some sand bags and shoot them all day without them moving. The first not to touch two consecutive shots looses...

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    I think the original purchase price in 1918-1919 was about $20. The gov was buying 1903's for $25- $25.50 during the war.

Many thanks for the info.. Wow a 22 rifle at 80% the cost of a War rifle.. Now that was a costly little beastie.. But like you pointed out there is alot of workmanship in that rifle..

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    My most unique .22 is an old Winchester 1885 "Low-Wall" that started life as a .22short.
    Somewhere back when it was modified, and it looks to be a professional job.

It now sits in a bench-rest style stock, and wears a Winchester model 52 barrel, which changes the caliber to .22lr.
    I'm sure someone used this in competition shooting.

Top Bottom