International Space Station passes overhead...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    Last time we watched it fly over, it came from northwest, and it was a little later in the evening I believe, anyhoo, it disappeared into the earths shadow about 45* above the horizon, THAT was cool, it went from very bright to quickly dimmer, then gone in probably 15-20 seconds.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yep. Whether you call it 17,000 MPH or 4.75Miles/sec its crazy fast.

Even crazier? Technically it is falling as fast as it is moving forward. Let that sink in; It is in a perpetual freefall. (but the earth is moving out of the way as fast as it is falling)

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Yep. Whether you call it 17,000 MPH or 4.75Miles/sec its crazy fast.

Even crazier? Technically it is falling as fast as it is moving forward. Let that sink in; It is in a perpetual freefall. (but the earth is moving out of the way as fast as it is falling)

Interesting.........very interesting.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    I read an article earlier talking about how the ISS use to orbit at 220 miles above us, then they raised it to 248 miles I think it was.....and they said just raising it to that orbit saved like 70% on fuel needed for thrust.

A couple questions to ponder.......How far can the human eye see? How can we see that thing when it is 250 miles away? Question 2...why is that thing so bright? Does it have lights or is there another reason?

Very cool to see though......and I didnt see any of them flaming balls tonight.

cordex

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 24, 2008
    A couple questions to ponder.......How far can the human eye see? How can we see that thing when it is 250 miles away? Question 2...why is that thing so bright? Does it have lights or is there another reason?
    1. Quite a few light years at least.
    2. Reflected sunlight.

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    What a show tonight. Just perfect sky conditions. Even with not so good binoculars you could see the solar panel "wings". Elton John's 'Rocket Man' was playing in my mind.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Winner. Just like the moon that has no illumination of it's own the sun lights it up from below the horizon.
    If it is bright enough we will see it.

And it is worth noting it does fly over our heads many times when it does not appear on the watch list. Because it is in the shade of the earth and the sun wont reflect light for us to see. So it sneaks overhead and we cant see it.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Think I'll pass on this one. Went out earlier this week to watch it go SW-NE* and enjoyed it immensely! However, I was a forgetful if not downright stupid individual and forgot that a) our area is swarming with mosquitoes and b) they ALL seem to think I'm the best skeeter bait in town.

Still scratching and itching. Sigh.

Next time I'm swimming in OFF before going out.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I have seen all kinds of meteorites.
    Some just like a flash going off.
    Some like a long light blue streak.
    Some like a long blue streak and a flash.
    Some a short streak and big red flash, Just like a fireworks rocket.
    Enjoyed every one.

cbhausen

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Feb 17, 2010
    Indianapolis, IN
    I was down at the Checkered Flag Tavern at Washington and Morris in Indy when I got pinged by my iPhone (running Sky Guide) about tonight’s flyover. Went outside and saw most all of it. One of the better ones I’ve seen lately I wish I remembered to get my binoculars which were stowed in the car not 20 feet away.

Top Bottom