• ...and so much more!
  • JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    Thanks.
    2"x6" hardwood brace under presses, edgeways, with 'Joist Hangers' on both ends, the brace is also screwed to the top. Solid as a rock.

Inset presses at bench level means no bending/stretching, everything within arms reach and the press doesn't get leverage on the bench.
    Either your bench beats the press, or your press beats the bench...
    I hate it when benches slapping the wall or 'walk' across the floor.

No hip/elbow busters either!
    If the entire room was dedicated to reloading, it might be different, but this is a hobby and such I don't care to dedicate a room to reloading I have to serve & support.
    If reading made me money & served me, it would be different, but it doesn't.

I use the design with my little case processing equipment since it's cheap & easy to build and works quite well...

73b0a2ee-62bc-4689-9c44-a37152243ef4-original.jpg

These machines are mounted on plates, so they don't torque the bench/top like a pump handle press does, so this particular bench doesn't need an extra under top brace.

Left, case neck qualifier, 95% open necks or better, no kinks means no splits, ejects blanks, loaded rounds, .204 Ruger, .222 etc.
    Middle, case roller. Restores the extraction rim & groove, takes lower case bloat out from sloppy chambers (something no top down die can do),
    Right, slow driven Dillon Super 1050, slow drive because the trimmer needs time to work, and the shoulder (Datum length) gets back to where it belongs.

The drawer under the top has all the spare parts, stuff I'm not using currently, and caliber changes.
    Still PLENTY of storage on the floor under the bench for buckets & other misc. stuff, 8 sq.ft. footprint and moves easily on a roller dolly.
    Casters could easily be installed, but I like it sitting solidly on the floor.

When you reload at home and can stop/walk away when it suits you, standing over a conventional bench with raised press might be OK.
    I'm disabled, replacement knees, one hip, enough exotic metal in my back to build a small spacecraft out of, so I sit and I want to reach everything from a comfortable, supportive chair...
    AND,
    When I'm processing brass as a business it's several hours at a JOB, no getting up and walking off.
    The bench tops/presses are at optimum height for me sitting in a supportive chair.
    When manually operated, the handle is never higher than my shoulder, and I never have to lean forward and 'Stoop' to complete the stroke.
    Feet are flat on the floor, chair has a backrest, and is solid, good for hours without damaging myself or 'Limp Wristing' or short stroking the press.

The XL650 loads MUCH better quality, more consistent ammo than the 1050, while the 1050 has the strength/rigidity to whip stubborn brass.
    Brass going back into the same firearm doesn't need a lot of bending, but general brass and milbrass takes a TOUGH press to beat it.
    With a little tuning, I haven't seen a 650 that won't produce match grade ammo and decent dies.

Last edited:

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    the 1st thing i'd ask is what do you plan on reloading, how much will you be reloading, and whats the purpose of the ammo you plan on reloading.....

:cheers:

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I haven't read the whole thread in detail, but I was in your position a few years ago. I was new to reloading and still consider myself pretty much an amateur despite having loaded 10's of thousands of rounds. I jumped right in and bought a Dillon 1050 as my first press having never loaded a single round on any other press (and still haven't). My goal was high production of one caliber. I wrote a bit about my experience here:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ep-end-dillon-1050-a.html?387822=#post5946257

I actually don't care for reloading and if ammo prices had stayed at the level they are now, I probably never would have started. I don't think a progressive press is so difficult to operate once you get your mind around everything that is happening, but I definitely had some hiccups and frustration. It really just depends on you.

Last edited:

crewchief888

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2016
    NWI
    i started reloading back in '96 for USPSA with a dillon SDB. loaded a LOT of 45acp as well as 38spl, 40s&w, and 38 super with that press.

still using it today, only thing i load now is 45acp for USPSA and steel challenge.

:cheers:

cmann250

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 2, 2018
    Land of 300bu corn
    I was in the OP’s place about 2 years ago. I used a Hornady single stage a little bit and jumped to a Dillon XL650. All told, I have done 99% of my reloading on this 650.

Things I wish I knew when starting with a progressive press:

-start slow,get the feel for it, and learn the system
    -the “feel” is a huge part of progressive presses
    -if it doesn’t feel right, it’s not! Stop and find out why
    -even though it’s automated, pay attention. You’ll feel like a bonehead pulling down 50 rounds that have no powder in them. Firsthand experience.

For beginners in general, go slow, stay focused, and be careful. If you have a question, ask! This forum probably has combined centuries of information.

Reloading is a fun hobby :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Broom_jm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2009
    It's pretty hard to make a recommendation without knowing the volume of ammo you'd like to produce, and whether or not it's mostly handgun or mostly rifle.

For relatively modest volumes of mostly handgun ammo, I would strongly recommend the simple Lee Classic Turret press. This is a remarkably cost-effective way to get into handloading, in order to determine if the discipline required is something that appeals to you.

For relatively modest volumes of mostly rifle ammo, I would suggest a strong O-Frame press, like a RockChucker, from RCBS.

It's only if you're loading relatively high volumes of handgun or rifle ammo that a true progressive press makes any sense at all. The Dillon 550B is an excellent, if very expensive, compromise that will allow you to make good quality rifle and pistol ammo, in decent quantities.

Under no circumstances would I recommend a true progressive for someone new to reloading.

Mattroth54

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 23, 2013
    When I started a few years ago, my plan was to go progressive right off the bat, but was talked into buying a Lee Classic Turret Press instead, which can be converted to a single stage press by removing the indexing rod in a just a second or two. I am very glad I did that.

I now have a Dillon XL650, which I love, but the Lee turret press still sits in my reloading room, and gets used for various tasks.

This was a GREAT suggestion that I received, and I pass that same advice along to anyone who is just starting out. It served me very well, and was very inexpensive. If you decide to go bigger later, you can always sell it and make most of your money back, but even if you don't, you are only out slightly north of $100.

Also, get some books and read them cover-to-cover. I got the Lyman reloading book and the ABCs of Reloading. I read them at least twice each before even pulling the handle for the first time.

Good luck!

This mirrors my reloading journey down to still having and using my old Lee Turret. No regrets and would highly recommend this direction.

jcline122

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2009
    New Haven
    Read many books on reloading, that is what I did. One of the best things I read was load pistol for power, load rifle for accuracy. I have lee pro 1000 for pistol and several single stage reloaders for rifle.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I started on a single stage press just last month, so I'm brand new also.

You'll probably end up with a single stage AND a progressive either way. I followed the recommendation to start on a single stage.

I'm looking at a Dillon as that looks like the way to go long term.

HOTSHOT357

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2018
    Lafontaine
    PICKING A NEW PRESS

I started reloading a little over a year ago. My first press was a Dillon SDB. Six or seven months later I bought a .30-30 Winchester. I then decided to trade in the SDB on a 550 B. I have never looked back. The 550 is one sweet press. I guess I'm trying to say, look "long range". Buy it once and be done with it!! Here is a pic of my set-up. I can load .38/.357, 45ACP and .30-30 Winchester. Good luck on your choice and have fun!!!!

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I started reloading a little over a year ago. My first press was a Dillon SDB. Six or seven months later I bought a .30-30 Winchester. I then decided to trade in the SDB on a 550 B. I have never looked back. The 550 is one sweet press. I guess I'm trying to say, look "long range". Buy it once and be done with it!! Here is a pic of my set-up. I can load .38/.357, 45ACP and .30-30 Winchester. Good luck on your choice and have fun!!!!

I think you mean "long term" since most long range shooters use a single stage press, LOL!

Top Bottom