• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Coach13

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 13, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Sorry for long, hopefully worth the time.

Ok here is my story. I am new to carrying, have permit, and pretty much new to home protection too, but hunted for years as a youth. I am at Lowes, I have a conversation with a clerk about why I am carrying a firearm. CC but I bent over to check a price and she noticed the print. I did the normal talk about rights yada yada and reminded that each person shot on the news this morning, had they known today was their day, they would have taken protection. Since I don’t know my turn, I carry every day now. Also advised that there is probably 3 other people carrying in the store at that moment. Don’t know if this is true, but there are lots of ingo members so it was a guess. Left and headed home.

Note that my racing trailer has been broken into, outbuilding attempted another night, thread on here sharing that story, and a snooper spooked by my neighbor all in the last 2 years.

Ok, I pull in the driveway top of the hill to the house. I put my firearm in small of the back, grab backpack and head in. Walk in the front door, dogs barking in mudroom, and then I see a shadow upstairs followed by a subtle door close. Ok, game on. I have always been cool under pressure of any kind, just that way I guess. But I must admit, my heart was about to jump out of my chest, lump in my throat, and I had a heightened clarity of mind that I have not experienced in years. School day so I knew my wife nor the kids were home at noon. I pulled my gun, racked it quietly, hit the safety off. First thought was about my choice to carry hollow points as a good move, weird but was my first thought. One clip in, where was extra clip?, extra bullets?, shot gun location upstairs and one down, my mind was doing inventory but on autopilot. Damn, I processed an immediate plan and backup plan with precision, with exception on cell, in which never crossed my mind I admit. Yea I know that was an error.

Ok I head up the stairs in draw position pointing up. Three doors possible, 2 closed, both sons. I go to the one closest to the stairs to cut off escape providing intruder is in the other room. It was ironically like a video game, but for real. I push the door open, seems clear. Enter bathroom, intense moment when a shadow appeared to be behind it, pushed open with plunger to keep gun clear, nope, but like I said, extremely intense moment within an intense moment. Check closets by opening and stepping back real quickly out of reach and hopefully clear of direct fire if armed. Again nothing.

Back to hall in which I had kept an ear and eye behind me in case a run on my or a give-me-3- steps moment, remember the song, another weird thing I I thought about in the moment. Did a quick eyeball of my bedroom but not a search since I heard a door close and it was open when I got upstairs.

To the last door. Repeated steps from first room and came down to the last closet door. Ok, at this point I want to say that I am a tough macho s.o.b. Actually I am, grew up inner city, college football player, etc etc. But knowing that someone was in my house, and this is the last door unchecked, man my mind racing!!!!!!! No I didn’t run or leave, but It was some time before I thought about opening that door, so I didn't as first option. I stepped back around the bathroom door jam and yelled out for them to open the door slowly, both hands come first, if more than one person to exit slowly and lay down on the floor hands above head. Of course I informed that I was armed and that I have not shot anyone yet but was looking for a reason to enjoy my first. Made up that part for them thinking it was a good verbal posture. After what seemed like 30 minutes, not more that 1-2 minutes probably, there was still no response. So I moved to the door, I swear to you guys that the world stopped rotating at that moment, it was like mental tunnel vision. I threw the door open and took a knee to get low, gun drawn, nothing. I worked towards the door, still drawn, hit the light, check behind the clothes, all clear.

I quickly doubled back and did the same check on my bedroom, rechecked the first bedroom, and then the entire house, only now with a shotgun over my should too. I found no trace of anyone in the house or that anyone had been in the house. Ok now I stop at the fridge and get a glass of milk. I could not drink it I was shaking so bad! I had not been a bit nervous during the ordeal, heightened like I said, but not a shake in my body, honest! Now I am shaking like I have parkensons, light headed, couldn’t think clear, I was a total mess. This was the strangest thing I personally have ever experience, both parts during and after. Like dear fever times 1 Million! Anyone ever gone throught this?

I swear to you all this is how this went down. Never did figure out the shadow or the door. I never thought my house was haunted, still don’t, but damn strange. Several points for sharing is so that anyone else in my situation would maybe react the same or do it differently. I am open to critique but clearly not why I posted. This just scared the “ship” out of me thinking it was my turn and it was actually happening to me.

I have read hours and hours of stories here. And have to say thanks to all of you for the education I received. Although no story was exactly like mine, enough pieces covered, along with some militia videos on YouTube, and video games with my kids, I feel pretty good about how I handled my first time. I just want to give a giant Thank you INGO Members for having a hand in waking me up and getting me a prepared citizen!:ingo::draw::rockwoot:

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    Glad it turned out the way it did. No intruders inside your home.

Being prepared is the first defense, I don't care how much a person practices, thinking you have walked in on a perp is going to make one's heart beat fast.

It does seem like time stands still.

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Glad nobody was in there. I'm also glad you took your time clearing. Always remember, you have the rest of your life to clear your house. Take your time and do it right: slowly and carefully.

We're not the SWAT team running room-to-room in a line with a dozen guns pointed every which way. We're usually ONE person that has to cover everything. So above all, take your time with it.

45pro

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Plymouth
    So you carry without one in the pipe and safety on? What woulda happened if there really was a guy in your house and he was heading out at the time you were coming in and met face to face? who would be more prepared if he also had a firearm? i'm sure he would have been ready to go, so why not you?

IMO always carry one in the pipe, you never know if your gonna need that extra second. It may save your life!

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Glad everything turned out OK for you.

One thing I would like to mention (and is in no way meant as criticism, since we all carry which ever way is comfortable and what we decide is best for ourselves), in the beginning of your story you told the clerk you carried for protection and pointed out people who had been attacked and how they might have had a gun on them if only they had known and that is why you carried to be prepared (which is GREAT). Then you point out later on when you felt threatened you drew your weapon, racked it, and disengaged the safety, now that worked out well for you because you had the time to do all that, but what if you had been attacked suddenly and with out warning, do you feel you would have been able to accomplish that in time? I know you said your new to carrying but you might think about how you carry your gun and if you are truly prepared to defend yourself or a loved one at a moments notice.

Please don't take this as criticism directed towards you, it is only intended to give you something to think about.

Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 7, 2008
    Greenfield
    So you carry without one in the pipe and safety on? What woulda happened if there really was a guy in your house and he was heading out at the time you were coming in and met face to face? who would be more prepared if he also had a firearm? i'm sure he would have been ready to go, so why not you?

IMO always carry one in the pipe, you never know if your gonna need that extra second. It may save your life!

Everyone has to start somewhere, and preferably where they are comfortable. Many moons ago when I first started carrying, I also started this way. After much more time on the range, training, and a comfort increase with the gear, I graduated to carrying with one in the chamber.

Point well taken, and agree it's the best way to carry, but only once you are confident in doing so.

ggglobert9

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 6, 2009
    Ft Wayne
    Call 911 and back out? Since you were sure none of your own were inside? CYA and let LEO do their job. I was a Paramedic for 15 years and picked up several that did what you decided to and confront it on their own without all the proper training, instinct etc and made grave errors. Just my thought that if it's just stuff no threat to life maybe plan B is a better alternative especially during daylight hours. Anyone brazen enough for broad daylight probably is nuts enough or experienced enough to be willing to commit during daylight. Thats what they make canines for! just my opinion not being judgemental.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    No way I'm searching a house I have reason to believe has a bad guy in it unless I feel my wife and kid are in immediate danger and I gotta go get them. And even then, once I get to them, I'm barricading and waiting for the cops. They can bring a bunch of folks to help, and we pay them those huge salaries (:D) to do just that.

I woulda unassed the house, called the cops, and enjoyed the show. I've had to do building searches by myself. It's not fun, it's dangerous, it's a good way to get dead.

Kick

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    Illinois
    +1 Rep for having the balls to do it yourself but, even with proper extensive training, I hate doing building searches alone.

By the way, "proper extensive training" Rule #1 NEVER search alone, just don't have the man power sometimes and if there are no signs of forced entry, gotta go solo.

smitty12b

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    +1 Rep for having the balls to do it yourself but, even with proper extensive training, I hate doing building searches alone.

By the way, "proper extensive training" Rule #1 NEVER search alone, just don't have the man power sometimes and if there are no signs of forced entry, gotta go solo.

Very true sir, alone you can only check one area, that leaves you VERY exposed, there are four corners in every room:twocents:

magic man

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Mar 7, 2010
    NWI
    I'm glad everything turned out alright. One thing that just crossed my mind is the windows. I would check all your windows and make sure they are all locked. If someone were to climb out a window while you were coming in the house the window would be left unlocked.

jdewyse

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 4, 2010
    could have let the dogs out, not much back up there but at least they bite:D. Glad everything turned out ok.:ingo:

bman1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2010
    Huntington, Indiana
    Call 911 and back out? Since you were sure none of your own were inside? CYA and let LEO do their job. I was a Paramedic for 15 years and picked up several that did what you decided to and confront it on their own without all the proper training, instinct etc and made grave errors. Just my thought that if it's just stuff no threat to life maybe plan B is a better alternative especially during daylight hours. Anyone brazen enough for broad daylight probably is nuts enough or experienced enough to be willing to commit during daylight. Thats what they make canines for! just my opinion not being judgemental.

Perfect!!!!

DesertDoc

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2008
    Central Indiana
    Glad it turned out well for you. Just a few comments that others have touched on. Consider carrying with one in pipe, NEVER search alone, and if presented with an oppurtunity always call LEO.

Glad you are carrying on regular basis +1

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Glad everything turned out OK for you.

One thing I would like to mention (and is in no way meant as criticism, since we all carry which ever way is comfortable and what we decide is best for ourselves), in the beginning of your story you told the clerk you carried for protection and pointed out people who had been attacked and how they might have had a gun on them if only they had known and that is why you carried to be prepared (which is GREAT). Then you point out later on when you felt threatened you drew your weapon, racked it, and disengaged the safety, now that worked out well for you because you had the time to do all that, but what if you had been attacked suddenly and with out warning, do you feel you would have been able to accomplish that in time? I know you said your new to carrying but you might think about how you carry your gun and if you are truly prepared to defend yourself or a loved one at a moments notice.

Please don't take this as criticism directed towards you, it is only intended to give you something to think about.

Everyone has to start somewhere, and preferably where they are comfortable. Many moons ago when I first started carrying, I also started this way. After much more time on the range, training, and a comfort increase with the gear, I graduated to carrying with one in the chamber.

Point well taken, and agree it's the best way to carry, but only once you are confident in doing so.

No way I'm searching a house I have reason to believe has a bad guy in it unless I feel my wife and kid are in immediate danger and I gotta go get them. And even then, once I get to them, I'm barricading and waiting for the cops. They can bring a bunch of folks to help, and we pay them those huge salaries (:D) to do just that.

I woulda unassed the house, called the cops, and enjoyed the show. I've had to do building searches by myself. It's not fun, it's dangerous, it's a good way to get dead.

Glad it turned out well for you. Just a few comments that others have touched on. Consider carrying with one in pipe, NEVER search alone, and if presented with an oppurtunity always call LEO.

Glad you are carrying on regular basis +1

Not to dogpile you, but yes, all of these. I too, when new to carrying, first got used to a pistol with an empty chamber and safety on, then eventually, to my pistol being ready to go. Practice, under safe conditions, drawing and dropping your safety switch off, if you haven't already.

Also, as you realized later, not calling the boys in blue was an error and yeah, it could have been fatal. :+1: to you for realizing it yourself. There's a fine line between bravery and foolhardiness. I'm not going to define where it is or on which side of it your actions were, that's your job to do. I'm glad for your, your wife's, and your children's sake that everything worked out OK. Please do not take any of this post as criticism, just as thoughts to consider.

"In life as in baseball, it is the number of times you reach home safely that counts."

Blessings,
    Bill

Top Bottom