• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Coach13

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 13, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Just got in, damn 3 pages! I debated on posting but now glad I did. I sure appreciate all the input. After reading I for sure could have done some things better and for sure being in the same situation having gone through it and now with a bunch of input, would be handled better.

One in the chamber, yes it's a new guy thing. I am just not there yet. Had a mishap with the kids target shootting. I had safety off after firing a round and tried to lower the hammer and it went off. I didn't realize the sensitivity of trigger when back compared to down. Fortunately all the years of boyscouts and my grandfather hunting, guns always stay earth bound. Gramps always said the only one shot in a misfire is your own foot. Scared the crap out of all 3 of us. Used my idiot moment as a teaching tool. At this point unchambered serves as a second safety and at experience and comfort level. I do agree that it would be smarter to be chambered and for sure working that way.

911, yes, big mistake, but addmitted that it never crossed my mind. Question on this one: Had I called and they found nothing, how would they respond to me? Could I be in trouble? I am in southern Johnson County, it takes them a while to get here. Not a slam on them, just about a mile from Brown County line, so it takes time. It took 25 minutes the night I caught those 2 jerks breaking in my outbuilding. +1 for JCS, when the did get there, 2 cars showed up same time and worked with me in looking for get away vehicle since I chased them into the words with my 22 rifle. Again, new to hand guns and home protection, but damn good with a rifle!

Searching alone. After reading here yes that wasn't so smart either. Again it never crossed my mind. I was pissed off about someone coming in the house. After the other breakin and attempted, it just pisses me off that someone is after my stuff that I worked by butt off for. It wasn't balls, more just pissed off, and a bit of stupidity too. Then again, retreat never seemed American!:patriot:

Dogs out, the 118 pound blood hound would have licked them to death, 11 months old, but my jackrussell would have ripped them apart one toe at a time! This would have been an option to locate though. With all the games of hide and seek with them they would have found an intruder. By the way, I'm being serious here, don't play hide and seek with a blood hound, you can't win!:n00b:

Windows. House is 3 stories with main door on middle level. If someone used to window to get in they for sure were not exiting from upstairs. But good tip that admit I didn't go back and check. Will be in just a minute.

I think that covered the input so far. I just want to tell you all thanks for the feedback and not blowing my butt up. I have seen people slaughtered here at times. I seriously debated on sharing it here, and also debated on how much to share. But decided to let it ALL out, even the shaking part afterwards, freeked me out. This happened about 2 weeks ago and think about it everytime I come home alone. I really don't know how to explain my feelings on it. Glad that it worked out emty, but still feel like it happened in a way. Not a life changer by anymeans, but for sure I have been more conscious of my surrounds home and away.

Again thanks to all!

nate1865

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 22, 2010
    Indiana
    I have thought through that scenario many times. What do I do if I come home alone and believe there is somebody else in the house?

I would execute a tactical retreat if able to do so and call the police. They are far better trained than I to clear a house, and I'll be calling them anyways once safe to do so.

In my thinking, my reasoning is that all it takes is a bad guy with a gun to set up a defensive posture waiting for you and you're toast, just like it would for them if I were cornered upstairs.

Anyways, good on ya for coming out safe in the end. It is easy to Monday morning quarterback and far harder when you're in the situation.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    You would not have had a issue calling the Police and they came out and checked your house and found nothing. I guarentee you, I would much rather check a house/building for someone and have it be a false alarm then to get called to a homeowner who had been attacked/killed while searching his own house.

Steve

Master
    Rating - 100%
    84   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Rack one into the chamber? Take safety off? We old school wheelgunners don't have those issues. ALWAYS ready to rock and roll. :rockwoot:

BTW. Great post. Glad things went as they did. Sounds like you did just fine. Calling 911 might have been a better way to go, but being prepared is equally as important.

jblomenberg16

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    67   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Southern Indiana
    I have thought through that scenario many times. What do I do if I come home alone and believe there is somebody else in the house?

I would execute a tactical retreat if able to do so and call the police. They are far better trained than I to clear a house, and I'll be calling them anyways once safe to do so.

In my thinking, my reasoning is that all it takes is a bad guy with a gun to set up a defensive posture waiting for you and you're toast, just like it would for them if I were cornered upstairs.

Anyways, good on ya for coming out safe in the end. It is easy to Monday morning quarterback and far harder when you're in the situation.

I've thought through the scenario a few times as well, especially in the last few months when we were building our house. Lots of folks in an out working on the place, and it wouldn't be too hard for an univited person to pose as a subcontractor.

My methods were always the same when I pulled up to the house while under construction. Park my truck behind the vehicle to block any escape of the vehicle. Walk in the house slowly and announce my presence. Fortunately everytime it was a legit contractor who quickly acknowledged me.

Now that the house is done, my plan is to still block the path of the vehicle, but I won't enter the house unless I know my wife and daughter are home.

To the OP, everyone has given you a lot of good feedback, and kudos for posting. That is one of the many benefits of INGO...chance for each of us to exchange experience and learn from them.

Sounds like this situation has given you a chance to first practice in what you thought to be a very real situation, and second, given you the opportunity to learn from it and do better the next time

dholmtime

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I agree with the last two if you know your family is out of the home stay out call police. It would be much safer to cut them off outdoors where you can have a safe distance to get therm to drop your things and get to the ground while the police come. Other wise while searching the house u choose the wrong door there is a possibilty for them to shoot stab etc. in your back.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Situations like this all depends if somebody I know who may be at risk are inside, I could call police if I suspect my house to be broken into.

ReSSurrected

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2010
    Bloomington
    ....School day so I knew my wife nor the kids were home at noon.

I know I'm late to the party, but I think everyone has pointed out what you did right and what you could have done better or differently, but the mindset in the above quote will get your family killed. By you.

In the situation you described, you do not know if the person in your house is friend or foe. Cell phone batteries die, kids come home from friends' houses early, wives come home from work for lunch, and moms pick up sick kids at school.... ALL THE TIME.

Make 110% sure who/what you are about to fire on is an intruder. PERIOD, END OF STORY.

I'm lucky in that I have encountered an intruder entering my home and did not have to fire, so I do not know the emotional price of killing someone in my home. However, it's a safe bet that the emotional toll of killing your own wife or child in your home eclipses it many many hundreds of times over.

ReSS

finity

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 29, 2008
    Auburn
    I know I'm late to the party, but I think everyone has pointed out what you did right and what you could have done better or differently, but the mindset in the above quote will get your family killed. By you.

In the situation you described, you do not know if the person in your house is friend or foe. Cell phone batteries die, kids come home from friends' houses early, wives come home from work for lunch, and moms pick up sick kids at school.... ALL THE TIME.

Make 110% sure who/what you are about to fire on is an intruder. PERIOD, END OF STORY.

I'm lucky in that I have encountered an intruder entering my home and did not have to fire, so I do not know the emotional price of killing someone in my home. However, it's a safe bet that the emotional toll of killing your own wife or child in your home eclipses it many many hundreds of times over.

ReSS

+1

I'm quoting this again just in case somebody might have missed it.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I pulled my gun, racked it quietly, hit the safety off.

So you carry without one in the pipe and safety on?

Everyone has to start somewhere

I too, when new to carrying, first got used to a pistol with an empty chamber and safety on

Not to detract from the topic, but can somebody explain why it would even be necessary to have the safety on if there's nothing in the chamber and nothing's gonna get there until the slide gets racked?
    Just curious... thx

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Not to detract from the topic, but can somebody explain why it would even be necessary to have the safety on if there's nothing in the chamber and nothing's gonna get there until the slide gets racked?
    Just curious... thx

Paranoid maybe?

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    Paranoid maybe?

OK, maybe I should rephrase my question...

I'm asking about the technical function of having a safety in the "on" position with nothing in the chamber...what is the physical purpose ?
    And two other things come to mind here...
    1) The safety on my RIA can not be employed if there's nothing in the chamber.
    2) Conversely, my empty Kimber can be racked with the safety on (thus altering the safety's position into "off").

So the questions are;
    If this particular pistol had nothing in the chamber, and it had the ability to have the safety "on", how could the slide be racked and then the safety be flicked off? I'm just trying to understand two things; The mentality of "safety on" with nothing there to need it for... and how the design of whatever gun it was allowed it to be racked in the "safety on" position.
    Just askin'.
    I'm inquisitive like that...

Coach13

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 13, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    Like I posted earlier, unracked and safety is like a double safety. And being new to handguns, I am not yet comfortable with racked and safety off. I do see the point of being more ready if surprised. For me, where I am at now, being more aware of my surroundings should give me a better chance at time to rack it, just like my post. It is not 100% fullproof, nor is racked and safety off. It comes down to experience and percentage of risk. Keep in mind, 5 months ago I didn't own a handgun at all or have a LTCH permit.

Paranoid? A little, but I consider it more respect for the firearm and admittitude of my experience level.

Unracked and safety. My gun is a Walther, racks just fine with safety on. I don't know enough about others firearms, but mine does. Safety stays on too. I just checked what I thought I already knew to be sure. I just imagine a time when my 8 year old would lose his mind and pick it up, unracked and safety is the place I want to be for now. I trust my 12 and 15 year olds, but not the 8, although he is very mature. I don't leave it laying around or anything, but it's not locked up at night but next to me. I posted in another thread that my kids shoot 22 anytime they want, so they are kind of unattracked to guns in a way they feel they have to sneek. Trust me when I say, with the misfire I shared, my kids still talk about keeping tip down when not aiming. They are dead serious on gun safety.

Checking under beds? I did, only because i can see them without entering rooms. Had they not been in easy view, I probably would have missed it. Good tip!

Possiblity of someone home. Great advise! I didn't think about it because in my case my kids can't make it home from school alone and wifes car wasn't in driveway and dogs were locked up. If any one of my kids were home, tv would have been on and every damn light in the house would have been on!:xmad:

I hope this helps others that find themselves potentially taking their turn.

Thanks again for not eating me alive, I am sensitive you know.....:crying:

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    Glad everything turned out well. Also glad you're taking all the constructive criticism and suggestions with a good attitude. A couple of suggestions:

1. Learn to use the handgun system you've chosen or get a different one. You don't specify which Walther you have, but IMO, a hammer fired semi-auto handgun these days should either be safe with the hammer cocked, i.e. 1911 w/safety on, or have a decocker. If yours doesn't (like an older Walther), it may not be a good match for your level of risk tolerance (at least what I'm picking up on).

2. Consider getting some safe storage if you don't have any already. Something like a gunvault can keep your loaded firearm relatively handy when it isn't on you, yet out of little one's hands. Gun Safes | Home Gun Safe | GunVault

Top Bottom