Status
    Not open for further replies.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    I don't know about everybody else, but I love being able to use INGO from my iPhone. However, I don't like that it isn't quite the best fit in Mobile Safari. So I thought, what about a dedicated INGO app? I have some experience with iPhone development, so I started tossing a proof-of-concept app together that I was going to show off.

But then I found Tapatalk.
    Tapatalk is an iPhone, Android, Nokia mobile application for super fast and handle forum access. Forum owner can download the free plug-in to activate this in your forum. Tapatalk supports iPhone and Android. Nokia and BlackBerry version are in the making and will be available in February 2010.

Tapatalk supports phpBB and vBulletin forums. It is not a vBulletin style. Nothing would change for people who use the web browser of their mobile device. It is a plugin that allows each respective native mobile app to interact with the back end.

For iPhone users, there is a free "read only" app (iTunes link) as well as a $2.99 fully-featured app (iTunes link). Here are the differences between the free and paid versions:
    2oPM

I don't know anything about the Android app, but it apparently is already available on Android Market.

@ Fenway & Mods - Can we convince you guys to look into installing the free vBulletin plugin so we can have a better on-the-go INGO experience?

ETA - it isn't already set up for this is it? Cuz I'd feel stupid for suggesting it if you already had it.

Caleb

Last edited:

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    That's a lot like designing a web site for Windows only and excluding Mac/Linux/etc users. I think it is a better strategy to support a more standards-based technology that is friendly to most all mobile clients rather than dictating only a couple of platforms and excluding other users.

It should support pretty much anything with a smaller screen and HTML browser. For example, this vBulletin style would appear to do the job:
    Mobile Style- vBulletin 3.8
    or
    Mobile Style- vBulletin 3.7

Last edited:

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    If you have an iPhone, download the app called Perfect Browser from the App Store. I think it is $.99 but it kills the Safari browser. You can even use Tabs!!!

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    That's a lot like designing a web site for Windows only and excluding Mac/Linux/etc users. I think it is a better strategy to support a more standards-based technology that is friendly to most all mobile clients rather than dictating only a couple of platforms and excluding other users.

It should support pretty much anything with a smaller screen and HTML browser. For example, this vBulletin style would appear to do the job:
    Mobile Style- vBulletin 3.8
    or
    Mobile Style- vBulletin 3.7

Is there a way to see screenshots of those styles? I don't see any on the first page, and the second one's are all having a :redxdance: party without me.

Also, I don't think Tapatalk would be quite what you're thinking it would be. This wouldn't require any development beyond the 3-step installation. I'm not a webdev by any stretch, but I think taking the m.ingo.com approach would mean even more work to write a mobile version of the site.

And FWIW, native apps on the iPhone approach being always better than just using the mobile versions of the website. Examples: Facebook, Twitter, and Wikipedia. Flickr and eBay even link directly to their (free) iPhone apps from their mobile sites. So even if there was a mobile version, it likely wouldn't be as smooth as a native app.

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    I think there is a add-on for turning the site mobile automatically when it finds a supported mobile device. Problem is, it makes it white page and text only. no pics.

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    I would be interested in some sort of mobile version if at all possible.

I don't even know where to start, but I know my way around a website and basic HTML so I'd be willing to help in any way I could as well.

I view INGO on my iphone quite a bit!

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    I've suggested the mobile skins for the site before and nothing came of it. It would be great to have some kind of mobile friendly site for us users on the go, be it with this app or with the vB skins/plugins. I hope something comes out soon because its just a bit to much to load on 3G with the normal site.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    the only thing i use my phone for is phone calls and texting. i dont even like texting that much. that is a cool idea, but just nothing i would ever use.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I believe vBulletin has a Mobile skin that can be applied. Not sure how all that works though, it would be something Fenway would have to setup.

mk2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    North Carolina
    Bump for a good cause. I'd really like to see something - anything - done to make our mobile INGO experience a little more pleasant. :)

Last edited:

Prometheus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Northern Indiana
    FYI The "Opera Mini" browser is great for surfing INGO, it has a couple of drawbacks and you can always tell when I use it because I type in long paragraphs and make stupid type-o's.

I don't have an Iphone and using a Win mobile system, I'm not installing massive programs to jack up the registry.

I probably wouldn't use it.

edit: Opera Mini is a free download for pocket pc's

MOSSMIND

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2010
    I spend alot of time on the INGO site with my iphone. But if there was a way to make posting easier I am sure that my post count would be quite a bit higher :)

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom