• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • elliotle

Plinker
    May 1, 2012
    Did my first AQT today with a scoped SGL21 AK47. My eyes aren't in the greatest shape (waiting for my new prescription glasses and contacts to come in this week), but I look forward to trying irons as well. I was fortunate enough to research and purchase a taller scope mount so I can still access my irons without uninstalling the scope/mount.

ol' Huff

Sharpshooter
    Mar 8, 2012
    I can be, if you make it so. I was Shoot Boss at an event in KY where we had a Distinguished Rifleman and a CMP Master Instructor on the line. They didn't make the score first try, or the second. The DR commented that it was harder than he thought it would be.

He made it his third try and then backed it up, but he had to shoot as if he was at a HP match. Six steps, steady hold factors, trigger control. If you go in thinking 25 yards with a 22 is for kids, the kids will out score you. I've seen it way too often. But if you listen and apply the instruction, you will do well and leave able to make hits at 500, and know why you did.

In the end, you will need to apply what we teach, and practice it to become proficient. Marksmanship is not something you can unwrap and bolt on, it happens in your noggin and it takes more than a weekend. We can lay out the path, but the rest is up to you.

YHJ

The guy sent 80 rounds of .308 through a Springfield Super Match, got up from his second AQT and said, "I'm going to go get my data book." He shot Rifleman the instant he took his fundamentals seriously.

I saw an instructor shoot a 228 with irons then turn around and shoot a 228 with a scope.

Its the software boys, not the hardware.

yellowhousejake

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    May 25, 2009
    Greenfield
    Seriously folks, if there was one thing you could buy to increase your scores at an Applessed, to give you that "edge". I would be torn between these two items.

- New ammo, the same lot for the whole weekend. Kind of ammo matters little so long as it functions well.

- Blue locktite. I stopped counting how many times I have seen scopes drop into the dirt, rings shake loose, sights fall off.

Get your rifle ready by running 200 rounds through it without adjusting/tightening/parts swapping. When it can do that, it's a good choice for an Appleseed, and your instructors will love you for the effort.

YHJ

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    So I wasn't supposed to be using Federal bulk pack ammo from 1994?

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    So I wasn't supposed to be using Federal bulk pack ammo from 1994?

Guessing you forgot the purple on this, but I'll answer it seriously for those who might ask it that way.

The ammo you use, so long as it works (and, per YHJ's post, is all the same) is unimportant. Different manufacturers or for that matter, different lots from the same manufacturer can make a difference. If your Federal Bulk from 1994 is all from the same box, it's fine. :)

Blessings,
    Bill

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    No. I didn't forget the purple. I hardly ever shoot .22 and grabbed the Federal bulk pack from the back of the ammo cabinet. Most of the bullets went boom but a few went pfffffttcrack and threw the shot up to 2" off POA.

YHJ and crew were thinking they hadn't seen the graphics on my Federal 550 bulk pack box before and I guess their memories weren't good enough to go back 18 years! :):

yellowhousejake

Sharpshooter
    Industry Partner
    May 25, 2009
    Greenfield
    No. I didn't forget the purple. I hardly ever shoot .22 and grabbed the Federal bulk pack from the back of the ammo cabinet. Most of the bullets went boom but a few went pfffffttcrack and threw the shot up to 2" off POA.

YHJ and crew were thinking they hadn't seen the graphics on my Federal 550 bulk pack box before and I guess their memories weren't good enough to go back 18 years! :):

I resemble that remark. I have a plastic bulk pack from Remington called... "Bucket-o-bullets". Remember those? They all still go bang, and shoot cleaner than brand new Golden Bullets, go figure.

YHJ

ilovemyjeep

Marksman
    Dec 19, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    OK,.....tech sights, scope, iron sights, AQT? I need a dictionery! I get the idea that the iron sights are the way the rifle comes already. But are tech sights and scope the same thing? And what is AQT? And lastly, what if I can't see a 1 inch square at 25 yards? :)

Brown

Sharpshooter
    May 27, 2009
    Brownsburg
    tech sights are from a aftermarket company that makes aperature sights that mimic those of main battle rifles. not the same as a scope. AQT= Army Qualification Test. score a 210 out of a possible 250 on the AQT and get the Rifleman Patch. yes it is harder than most people think. women and kids are the first ones to get the patch because they dont have most of the bad habits to break us old guys have

ilovemyjeep

Marksman
    Dec 19, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    OK thanks for the input. I am doing the Appleseed in 2 weeks and am trying to be ready. I watched the video for the shooting positions and whew....I m getting there but it's not pretty! :):

spitfire51

Sharpshooter
    Nov 16, 2010
    OK thanks for the input. I am doing the Appleseed in 2 weeks and am trying to be ready. I watched the video for the shooting positions and whew....I m getting there but it's not pretty! :):

That's what the Appleseed is for! The majority of day 1 is working on different positions and fundamentals of marksmanship. In all this debate about equipment and ammo to bring, the most important thing to have with you is a teachable attitude and a willingness to learn and try new things.

Pitmaster

Expert
    Jan 21, 2008
    South Bend, IN
    I love teaching women to shoot. I got hugged by a young one last week she was so excited. She was terrified taking her first shot. Then she had so much fun she arranged for someone to pick up her kids so she could shoot more. She took to the 10/22 like a fish to water. I have to get her back out soon to keep the enthusiasm going. I've offered to pay and provide everything for attending an Appleseed July 6.

benjaminlee06

Plinker
    Jun 11, 2012
    Downtown Indy
    Most inexpensive and effective set up is a Marlin 795 with tech sights and usgi sling from the midwest or the appleseed store. It already comes with studs, so you just have to buy swivels, which you can get at walmart. I chose a 1 inch cotton usgi sling and it is awesome. $20 at gander mtn gets you the second mag you need and you are good to go. Shoots well out of the box and is better than any beginner. I shot 211 at my second shoot, but I'm also new to all of this, so unlike other guys I don't have bad habits. I just had a teachable attitude and blank slate. Have fun and be safe!

Top Bottom