Is .380 powerful enough for defensive carry?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I've seen a lot of discussions about .380 and how effective it is as a defensive cartridge. I decided to do some testing of the .380 to see how both hollow points and ball rounds penetrated in 10% gel. I also compared it to my favorite 9mm carry load, Critical Duty.

[video=youtube;soNdX36P-3E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soNdX36P-3E[/video]

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Timely video for me, thanks!

I often carry a .380 and I used to carry ball before recently switching to critical defense. I have been wondering if I gave up too much penetration for expansion. Looks like I'm switching back to ball for the .380. Thanks for helping me make a more informed choice!

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    Interesting. I do believe that I will start carrying ball ammo in my Bodyguard .380 BUG. Gold Dot was my default round, but this video is pretty convincing to me. Thanks for filming this for us.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Another great video. Confirms what I had been taught that .380 hollow points don't perform well. I don't own a .380 but know people who do, this information will go help prepare some of those people.

Collin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Greenwood, IN
    Interesting video, I'd enjoy more of this type of testing on your channel (I subscribe). Specifically, I've heard many say .45 ball is a good choice for defensive loads (effective as GI load...) - love to see that tested. Also heard 9mm ball overpenetrates. Maybe you could shed some light on those suspicions for us?

Keep up the good work and content!

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I feel if you can handle a bigger gun it is a better ideal. I had a 380 for a while and switched back to a 9mm. for the last few years I have carried a .45acp. I bought a S&W 640 .357 for a bug. I carry it a lot in hot weather instead of the 45. I do applaud your video. Really informative! Thanks

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    I think to dismiss all .380 JHP rounds a "a poor choice" based on the performance of one round in one test is painting with a bit of a broad brush. There are LOTS of choices in .380 defensive ammo out there, including Golden Saber, PDX1 and Critical Defense, which have been shown to do quite well in gel testing. You should revisit this topic with additional testing.

Also, I wonder if the relative lack of expansion in the 9mm Critical Duty is due to it being fired out of such a short barrel? I have been told by Hornady reps that Critical Duty is intended for use in full-size pistols, which I take to mean it requires a certain velocity threshold to perform properly. The Critical Duty rounds I've seen tested have exhibited much better expansion, and were extremely consistent even through a variety of barriers.

:twocents:

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I think to dismiss all .380 JHP rounds a "a poor choice" based on the performance of one round in one test is painting with a bit of a broad brush. There are LOTS of choices in .380 defensive ammo out there, including Golden Saber, PDX1 and Critical Defense, which have been shown to do quite well in gel testing. You should revisit this topic with additional testing.

Also, I wonder if the relative lack of expansion in the 9mm Critical Duty is due to it being fired out of such a short barrel? I have been told by Hornady reps that Critical Duty is intended for use in full-size pistols, which I take to mean it requires a certain velocity threshold to perform properly. The Critical Duty rounds I've seen tested have exhibited much better expansion, and were extremely consistent even through a variety of barriers.

:twocents:

Yes.

Hornady Critical Defense is what should have been tested as its meant for smaller concealed carry PD firearms.

Critical Duty is exactly what the name sounds like....meant for a duty carry firearm.

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    Tired Old Argument

I've seen a lot of discussions about .380 and how effective it is as a defensive cartridge. I decided to do some testing of the .380 to see how both hollow points and ball rounds penetrated in 10% gel. I also compared it to my favorite 9mm carry load, Critical Duty.

[video=youtube;soNdX36P-3E]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soNdX36P-3E[/video]

Since most self defense battles are between one and twenty feet, does it really matter?
    Hit someone in the chest or face from ten feet, with either a 380 or 9MM and you won't have to worry about measuring wound channels.

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Carry what you shoot best. Even if it makes you slightly less comfortable. I think too many people base their carry decisions on comfort and style. I wonder, in that millisecond that you realize you are going to have to rely on that carry gun, how comfortable you will be with your choice at that moment? I lug around an all steel gun every day. It isn't always the most comfortable. It is always the best option for me because through much trial and error I realize it is what I shoot best. If a .380 is what you shoot best, after trying many others, then that's what you should carry. That .50BMG round won't do you any good if you can't hit with it.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    That was an interesting test.

My go to ammo testing YouTube page is tnoutdoors9. He uses the 4 layers of denim as in the FBI testing protocol. Here are some .380 acp tests. As the MAC test found, the JHPs come in under 12 inches, sometime well under the 8" area. The only one that went over 12" was the first where the cavity got plugged and there was no expansion. The FMJ passed through the 19" block- same kind of result.

AMMO TEST: .380 ACP Remington Golden Saber 102 gr JHP - YouTube

Hornady Critical Defense .380 ACP 90 gr Ammo Test - YouTube

.380 ACP Winchester Ranger T-Series JHP Ammo Test - YouTube

.380 Full Metal Jacket in Ballistic Gel - YouTube

crispy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Noblesville
    HCD went 11.25" AFTER having gone through four layers of denim.

Considering they feed perfectly in every single one of my .380s. That's good enough for me.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    nice vid......i'll stick with my 95gr HP Montana Gold's at just under 1100fps from my Government.....fired from 12ft they go through 3 gallon milk jugs with water......

14jnc42.jpg

Top Bottom