Is .380 powerful enough for defensive carry?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ru44mag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 6, 2013
    I have pretty much switched over to 9mm or 38 +p, but still occationally carry my LCP or my P238. I know some think it is stupid, but I alternate FMJ and either Federal Hydro shocks or Hornady CD/Zombie max. And always carry an extra mag...or 2.

Hoosierman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    I realize the FBI needs 12" of penetration, but I wonder if the standard is a bit much for civilian carry? If I have to use my gun, and have a through and through that hits someone else, i'll be strung up. 17 inches of penetration IS going to be a through and through in most defense situations, IE: the perp is facing you. I'm fairly certain 9" of penetration is plenty enough to reach vitals.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'm fairly certain 9" of penetration is plenty enough to reach vitals.

If everything is perfect.
    If it doesn't hit a bone.
    If it isn't deflected before or after entering the body.
    If it isn't having to go through an arm first before entering the chest.

Etc. etc.

Ballistic gel has its place, don't get me wrong, but it simulates a near perfect scenario. A soft tissue strike and zero deflection angle and typically with no intermediate barrier or some cloth draped in the front of it. That's why the inches to reach vitals is padded a bit, to account for the perfect test vs the imperfect world.

The .380 has some power behind it, although it is the smallest caliber I would personally recommend. I've seen it go through and through a fat guy's torso and keep on trucking through drywall and I've seen it break a femur into 3 pieces, so its got some punch to it up close and personal.

Hoosierman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 1, 2013
    If everything is perfect.
    If it doesn't hit a bone.
    If it isn't deflected before or after entering the body.
    If it isn't having to go through an arm first before entering the chest.
    I understand that it's not a perfect world, but in my case, and i'm not a super skinny guy, my heart is in the neighborhood of 4" from my chest. Even hitting bone, that .380 hp would get the job done. I'm not arguing, just playing devils advocate. If you shoot a guy and he's not facing you straight on, you're gonna have a tough time of making a self defense claim anyways.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Let's hope so.

I think BBI's point is a strong one-- that gelatin is rather optimistic in terms of what might happen. I personally prefer more like 14" to 16" in gelatin for penetration.

It's rare for handgun rounds to through-and-through, they just don't have that much energy to make it all the way.

Skin is also much harder to penetrate on exit than on entry-- roughly equivalent to another 4" of muscle.

My reckoning is that I need to be able to penetrate even an oblique or awkward angle through even a very large person. That might mean 18" of actual tissue.

Never mind the effects of bone that make it even harder.

The FBI tests I've read have argued that more expansion is a good thing ONLY once you have sufficient penetration. How much is sufficient? They say 12" I prefer a little more. I find teh FBI's reasoning to be persuasive.

I'm recalling the FBI report on the PA shooting where the perp took several 180gr Gold Dots from a duty weapon and didn't go down, and none of them were through and through on the torso. There was actually a pretty remarkable LACK of penetration for a 180g .40 cal.

See the file here, if you don't remember it.

Like Houghmade, I've adopted TNoutdoors9's Youtube tests as my primary reference for gel testing. I don't believe his tests are gospel, but I don't think they are good comparisons relative to each other.

I'm not a fan of several of the super-expanding loads because I think many of them trade off too much expansion.

JMO

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I understand that it's not a perfect world, but in my case, and i'm not a super skinny guy, my heart is in the neighborhood of 4" from my chest. Even hitting bone, that .380 hp would get the job done. I'm not arguing, just playing devils advocate. If you shoot a guy and he's not facing you straight on, you're gonna have a tough time of making a self defense claim anyways.

So if I'm standing bladed toward you, a self defense claim is now harder to make? The .380 may get the job done, it may not. You just have a lot less room for error than you do with larger calibers, that's all.

Top Bottom