Is a 10/22 worth it???? or what is a better 22lr rifle?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WyldeShot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 28, 2011
    Greenville
    I really like my 10/22. I have a decent Vortex Rimfire scope on it. No collection is complete without a 10/22.

With that being said, I love my Henry.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    All good guns, but how many of those can you pick up for $200?

FWIW, this one cost exactly $200, but that was in 1984.
    Now, you can't get a brand new one at all, unless you find one of the very few unfired specimens out there.

rational

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    New Whiteland
    I wondered this for a while. Should I build up a spare 10/22 I have or buy a bolt gun.

What's the best value and accurate aftermarket threaded barrel?

I just picked up a threaded feddersen for under 200 shipped. From what I have read they hang with the more expensive barrels. Can't wait to get it out to the range.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    as for the argument of Marlin 60 vs. 10/22, after owning both, what I can tell you is:
    #1. loading tubes sucks in the winter.
    #2. SBR'd 10/22 > any Marlin 60.

Patriot3

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 11, 2012
    Kokomo
    From personal experience, I can say the ruger 10/22 is the best survival/ fun gun in semi auto 22 that I've owned. The gun is worth every penny and can be customized however you envision it. The reliability is fantastic and the take-down model is worth the extra money. If you cant tell I am a huge ruger fan so i might be a little biased, but to answer your question I say go for it.

DFM914

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Avon
    I have always liked the Ruger 10/22. it is a proven design and functions quite well. I have a Savage Mark II bolt that I can shoot better. It may be a mindset thing knowing you have one shot rather than just keep pulling the trigger on the Ruger. Both very nice .22 rifles!

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Everyone needs one. It is an excellent tool for learning to shoot and manage semi-autos. They work well right out of the box. Not tack drivers, but they do the job. I did add a BX trigger recently, and ii improved my accuracy.

I think I will pick up a Marlin 60 if I can find one at a reasonable price, and a lever action would be a good addition, also—Winchester 9422 or Marlin 39. It is hard to beat a day at the range with a variety of .22 rifles.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    The 10/22 is the popular choice, but it doesn't really seem as classic as this:

In hunting garb:
    Marlin_39A_Camo.jpg

In dress garb:
    Marlin_39A.jpg

Marlin 39 or Henry? I'm guessing Marlin.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    Ruger 10/22 isn't the best option if you are trying to push the limits of .22 lr accuracy.

However, If you want an everyday .22 for plinking then a Ruger 10/22 is never a bad choice. Marlin/Glenfield, Savage and CZ are also good options. The Ruger 10/22 isn't the only .22 lr I own, but it will always be part of the collection.

Areoflyer09

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 28, 2017
    Indianapolis
    I really like my 10/22. I have a decent Vortex Rimfire scope on it. No collection is complete without a 10/22.

With that being said, I love my Henry.

I completely share the above sentiments.

i bought my fiancé a 10/22 for her bday last year and she loves it. The polymer stock makes it light enough that she can handle it without issue. I quite like it myself and considered getting one for myself this year. Decided to get a Golden Boy instead, I've wanted one for years.

Frist trip to the range, with the Henry, and any desire for the 10/22 went away. It's incredibly smooth and the quality of the workmanship is outstanding. I enjoy the Golden Boy enough, I've entertained selling the AR (I've barely used it) and getting a Big Boy for those days I want a bigger bang.

I like the 10/22, but I love my Henry. Easily the best purchase I've made.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    One son has a Ruger 10-22, one has a few Henry's in 22. I have a couple of 22's, one older Remington, one Marlin 60. Can't say anything against the 10-22 especially If you want to add / customize a 22, as there are probably more aftermarket items made for it than any other firearm except maybe the AR-15.

However I do think the Marlin and Savage are a little more accurate. I don't have any reason to customize a 22 so can't see purchasing the 10-22, I do think they are a little overpriced for what you get, although I am sure many will disagree. I picked up both of my 22's several years ago, don't think I paid more than $35 each in excellent condition, did add a scope to the Marlin a few years ago. I used to do a lot of hunting with a 22 in the 50's, before the 10-22 was built so have used many other 22 firearms.

I am a collector and now do favor and shoot center-fire, hi-power firearms, usually .308 or similar so that may have something to do with my opinion.

dung

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2017
    Charlestwon
    I can't compare this to a 10-22, but I have an old Winchester 61 with an weaver scope that can't be beat for how fun it is to shoot. I am pretty sure pumping that is more intimindating than a 12 guage. :)

Top Bottom