Is anyone else a second amendment absolutist?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigShow

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2012
    Anything the government can own, I should be able to pursue and own, if I can afford it.

2nd this.

As long as my 2nd Amendment right does not leave my property or a designated 2A range and injure another. I should be able to have anything the Government has and train/shot/fire/explode with it. I believe alot of our laws should end with, if injure another.

Hawkeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2010
    Warsaw
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

I'm good with this. I see no need to delve into Kut's game of parsing and dissecting and turning to points irrelevant to the basic issue. No offense, Kut, but your games sometimes get a bit tiring. Sometimes they do help see a fallacy, but I dont think they are needed here.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I interpreted the question differently. The position leadership takes the second is like a litmus test to me, if they don't support individual rights to own and use firearms I don't vote them.

HenryWallace

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2013
    Fort Wayne
    I'd say everyone should be educated on firearms. Have them in almost every home. 12 year olds get their first. As long as you have people that understand gun safety, I really don't think you'll have that problem with stray bullets flying everywhere. I actually believe that you could have some really cool technological advancements on some sweet bullet traps even inside people's basement and backyards.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

I'm good with this. I see no need to delve into Kut's game of parsing and dissecting and turning to points irrelevant to the basic issue. No offense, Kut, but your games sometimes get a bit tiring. Sometimes they do help see a fallacy, but I dont think they are needed here.

None taken. When someone says "absolutist," I take them to mean it per the definition provided by the dictionary. And hence why I think the notion to be ridiculous. You won't find any of our founding fathers or justices that have ever viewed any right as absolute.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I'm curious how anything other than a binary 0% or 100% is "absolutist." Even 99.9% isn't "absolute."

"I don't think that word means what you think it means."

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I'm curious how anything other than a binary 0% or 100% is "absolutist." Even 99.9% isn't "absolute."

"I don't think that word means what you think it means."

What if experimental accuracy requires that the results be rounded to two significant figures? :stickpoke:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I deleted my own post at that location and that's the reason. Self diagnosis, no critique of others express or implied :)

Fresh out of Snickers bars

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    I deleted my own post at that location and that's the reason. Self diagnosis, no critique of others express or implied :)

Fresh out of Snickers bars
    Oh, hahah

I even thought, "Wow. I didn't THINK I was crabby... maybe I was...."

Don't get me started on how "absolute value" only works in one direction.... ;)

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I think most gun laws should be scrapped, but am not a 2nd Amendment "absolutist." ...just like I'm not a First Amendment absolutist. There are limits to everything.

Sure. The limits on the 1st amendment are generally those which impose on other people's rights. Me simply owning a gun, per se, does not impose anything on other people. Same with free speech.

You can yell "fire" in a crowded theater all you want. All day long. Management will likely invite you to leave. And if you refuse, and they have you arrested for tresspassing, or whatever, you can't use 1A rights as a defense. And if you cause a panic, you can't use the first amendment as a defense for causing a riot.

Similar with firearms, or really anything that can be used as a weapon. You should be able to use them all day long, but if you use them in a way which violates other people's rights, you can't use the 2A as a defense.

The 2A doesn't cover using firearms to intimidate, threaten, assault, murder, or whatever other ways you can violate a person's rights.

I think I'd call myself a 2A absolutist in that the only gun laws we need are laws against intimidating, threatening, assaulting, murder, or whatever other ways you can violate a person's rights. However, the constitution does allow for restricting rights with due process. Incarceration and especially execution is the ultimate loss of rights through due process.

Creating preemptive laws which prohibits whole classes of people from exercising rights, without due process, without individual determination, should be considered unconstitutional.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    No, because that is an infringement on someone else's rights. Absolutism of any right, is IMO naive. No right is absolute, and typically they weigh risks (not actual infringement) of other people's rights.

My absolutism can't go beyond the constitution. So as written within that context, I am a 2A absolutist. It doesn't give you a right to murder people with your right to keep and bear arms.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Dude, I would love to own a battleship. And a few islands for target practice.

I've seen old jet fighters and tanks for sale but never battleships. Maybe I haven't found the right part of Craig's List or the right wheeler-dealer publication that carries them?

Top Bottom