• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Weapon beside you on the seat or under your leg in the car is a fairly bad idea, panic braking, hard maneuvering, and that gun may not still be there. I think the Miami FBI shootout had a gun skittering across the floorboard unusable at the time. AIWB makes for an easy draw while seatbelted if you adjust accordingly.

Vigilant beat me to it. Seems he and I train in similar places and hold similar opinions.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Weapon beside you on the seat or under your leg in the car is a fairly bad idea, panic braking, hard maneuvering, and that gun may not still be there. I think the Miami FBI shootout had a gun skittering across the floorboard unusable at the time. AIWB makes for an easy draw while seatbelted if you adjust accordingly.

Off body carry in the car makes it harder to do one of the most important things you can do: get out of the car (assuming you can't just drive away). Stuffing a gun beside the seat not firmly fixed to the car also leaves open the potential for the gun to end up somewhere else when you need it. I'd rather have the gun on my hip than tucked between my seats or under my thigh or any of the other popular car carry spots. It's also in the same place I always keep it for training consistency and so I don't forget where to reach when I really need it.

Yes and yes. So glad Chez taught me how to multi quote.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Weapon beside you on the seat or under your leg in the car is a fairly bad idea, panic braking, hard maneuvering, and that gun may not still be there.

I do the "under the leg" with a revolver during alley crawls and a few other choice situations on occasion. When the situation passes, back into the ankle holster. It's also not my only gun. One of the advantages of two guns is carrying one in a position that covers the weaknesses of the other carry position.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I do the "under the leg" with a revolver during alley crawls and a few other choice situations on occasion. When the situation passes, back into the ankle holster. It's also not my only gun. One of the advantages of two guns is carrying one in a position that covers the weaknesses of the other carry position.
    The SAS and Brit Royal Marine Commandos used to tuck a P35 under their thigh for static surveillance in Northern Ireland, but they too had another holstered on their person. In general, it’s a less than stellar arrangement, but it sometimes has a use, as you demonstrated.

stoneytoney

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 17, 2014
    indy
    I have a slot in my arm rest where my G23 fits perfect! But asking instructors about this, every one said NO. That's a bad idea. What if you have to hurry and get out of the car and forget to grab it? This practice of carrying is a lazy carry. This is when you say I don't need it just to run into the gas station or wherever you're going "real quick." and this when you will need it the most, or somebody else will see it beside your seat and now it's theirs.

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    Appendix carry works very well for me. It make the weapon more accessible and I believe the presentation of the weapon is faster than the hip holster. As with any other holster, it requires practice and getting used to carrying in that position.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    As far as twig and berries go, I look at my holster when reholstering, ensuring nothing fouls the reholstering. I also do it slowly and deliberately. After that, I pose no danger to myself using this mode of carry. Proper holster, proper techniques.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Also, for those that carry at 4, video tape your drawstroke, I will bet several of you using improper techniques flag yourself on the draw? I've seen it corrected in several advanced pistol classes even.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I am sure you are correct, but if there is a negligent discharge the rules of safety are not being followed. The appendix position can be just as dangerous as any other carry method if the person carrying the weapon gets careless or complacent.:twocents:

People I've seen dead who shot themselves in the butt cheek with strong side carry: 0
    People I've seen dead who shot themselves in the groin with appendix carry: >0

As far as twig and berries go, I look at my holster when reholstering, ensuring nothing fouls the reholstering. I also do it slowly and deliberately. After that, I pose no danger to myself using this mode of carry. Proper holster, proper techniques.

For admin handling, that's possible. For *most* situations a non-LEO would find themselves in it'll also be applicable to the real world event. There are situations that preclude a slow, deliberate, look in to the holster. Which is why if I did AIWB, it would be with something with an external hammer to ride.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    People I've seen dead who shot themselves in the butt cheek with strong side carry: 0

For admin handling, that's possible. For *most* situations a non-LEO would find themselves in it'll also be applicable to the real world event. There are situations that preclude a slow, deliberate, look in to the holster. Which is why if I did AIWB, it would be with something with an external hammer to ride.

Correct, as your previous post said on an LEO having to reholstering prematurely /quickly. As an everyday Joe, I find it less likely not impossible but less likely. If I have to draw and go to work, the gun doesn't go back until all the work is done, so I would have the luxury of a look and deliberateness. If an LEO shows up prior to reholstering, the gun goes on the deck carefully.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Correct, as your previous post said on an LEO having to reholstering prematurely /quickly. As an everyday Joe, I find it less likely not impossible but less likely. If I have to draw and go to work, the gun doesn't go back until all the work is done, so I would have the luxury of a look and deliberateness. If an LEO shows up prior to reholstering, the gun goes on the deck carefully.

The absolute closest I can think of is two instances for non-LEOs, one involving a mentally ill suspect and the other a suspect on acid. Both went from "ok to shoot" to "not ok to shoot" very quickly, but neither continued to advance and force the issue. So, I agree, not likely, but not impossible.

*actually, the mentally ill one would probably still have been a legal shoot, but questionable ethically.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy

https://www.americanrifleman.org/ar...week-glock-striker-control-device-the-gadget/

cayce

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 17, 2018
    Carmel
    I have zero trouble drawing/firing from appendix while seated and buckled.

IMO, It’s one of the many advantages of AIWB carry.

If you can do it more power to you. As to sliding around in a maneuver try a Bore Store with the velcro closed secured beside the seat. I have TRIED, in a parking lot to dislodge it. Ain't going to happen. Each to his own.

JMitch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2015
    Greenwood
    While some might flag themselves drawing from the hip, that can be corrected.

I cannot bring myself to carry appendix. there are too many nervous system and circulatory components suppling the largest muscles in the body that intersect in that area for me. Specifically in the interior of the leg and body's centerline. It only takes one bad reholster or grapple.

Top Bottom