• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • machete

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    Traplantis
    some new jersey dem wants to charge $10 for bicycle plates and register bikes with the department of MOTOR vehicles!!!!

since when am i a motor????!!!!!!!!!!!!

fire cops,,,makes stuff legal again,,,close prisons,,,and fire government employees!!!!!!! get these budgets under control,,,quit taxing me!!!!

NJ Politician Proposes License Plates For Bicycles « CBS Philly – News, Sports, Weather, Traffic and the Best of Philadelphia

now comes semperfiusmac to say --- what do i care---it happens in jersey???

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    Just another idiot politician. I'm sure Christy would never sign anything like this. But hey, they think it's ok to just keep taking away our rights. Technically you could be arrested for walking somewhere with out proper identification if you had an encounter with a leo and requested ID.

Next you'll need insuarnce on your bike. Then you'll need insurance on your shoes incase you walk into someone and stub their whilly toes .

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Objectively you have a right to travel from place to place, but the means of travel can be regulated. I think that in most cases that as a society we accept far too many regulations on the means of travel but I would say that by strict definition bicycling is more a priviledge than a right. I do not agree with putting license plates on bicycles, but I would agree for example that a person on a bicycle could have restrictions like not riding down the railroad tracks and getting in the way of a train.

lane440

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 19, 2010
    whiteland
    The beatings will continue untill morale improves.
    The taxing will continue even after all tax payers are imprisoned for not being able to pay tax.
    Prepair for the worst .... sooner or later it will get here .

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Objectively you have a right to travel from place to place, but the means of travel can be regulated. I think that in most cases that as a society we accept far too many regulations on the means of travel but I would say that by strict definition bicycling is more a priviledge than a right. I do not agree with putting license plates on bicycles, but I would agree for example that a person on a bicycle could have restrictions like not riding down the railroad tracks and getting in the way of a train.

On what planet does someone need a law to tell them not to ride on the tracks?

And exactly which bicycle produced to date would actually "get in the way" of a train?

There is a difference between regulation (we all drive on the right side of the road, maintain speed limits, etc) and revenue generation. I'm perfectly fine with the former as it standardizes the expectations for sharing publicly owned roads. I'm even okay with citations for violations of those regulations. But requiring licensing, plating, registration is nothing more than a means to pad the coffers of the state. There are no legitimate reasons to require licensing and registration of vehicles except to steal more money from the people.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    I just wish they would start ticketing bicyclists that ride 8 wide, the wrong way, roll stop signs, cut off cars etc. It really becomes a danger when it gets warm out. I get horn heavy if I see a bicyclist doing something stupid. I usually get the finger and then get very very close to them.

INGunGuy

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2008
    Jeffersonville, Indiana
    Just another idiot politician. I'm sure Christy would never sign anything like this. But hey, they think it's ok to just keep taking away our rights. Technically you could be arrested for walking somewhere with out proper identification if you had an encounter with a leo and requested ID.

Next you'll need insuarnce on your bike. Then you'll need insurance on your shoes incase you walk into someone and stub their whilly toes .

If I am doing nothing but walking down the street, there is no requirement to "Ausweiss Bitte?" There is no law that requires me to have any identification on myself. If a LEO were to come up and ask me for identification, my response would be to ask "Am I being detained or am I under arrest?" If the answer is no, then I will say "Have a nice day" and walk away.

INGunGuy

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute

And exactly which bicycle produced to date would actually "get in the way" of a train?

There is a difference between regulation (we all drive on the right side of the road, maintain speed limits, etc) and revenue generation. I'm perfectly fine with the former as it standardizes the expectations for sharing publicly owned roads. I'm even okay with citations for violations of those regulations. But requiring licensing, plating, registration is nothing more than a means to pad the coffers of the state. There are no legitimate reasons to require licensing and registration of vehicles except to steal more money from the people.

On Earth things like bikes, cars and pedestrians get in the way of trains. They get squashed and then the train has to stop for hours while there is an investigation. I think that revenue generating things like plates and licenses are also unfair restrictions, but that things like lane usage are okay since they regulate traffic and keep the roads open for everyone.

Duncan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2010
    South of Indy

Gotta step in here... We do have a right to travel .. and the means IS regulated .... but it should not be ... car , motorcycle , horse .

Think of it this way .. Is it lawful to operate a car you own on a public highway ?
    No it is not .. unless you get an exemption called a license plate .
    That you have to pay money for .

Same question .. is it lawful to operate a tractor on the highway ?
    Yes it is , for this example barring the SMV sign you need to have , you do not have to apply and pay for an exemption to operate a tractor on the highway system .. but you do if it is a pickup truck ..

Why ? Does it deal with the rights of man .. or propriety .. no it's just the way the law has been made and not enough people have fought it .
    Thanks
    Duncan

Bond 281

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    We have far too many taxes and regulations already. Though it doesn't surprise me that the government is trying to hit us with more. It is bs though

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Gotta step in here... We do have a right to travel .. and the means IS regulated .... but it should not be ... car , motorcycle , horse .

Think of it this way .. Is it lawful to operate a car you own on a public highway ?
    No it is not .. unless you get an exemption called a license plate .
    That you have to pay money for .

Yes it is , for this example barring the SMV sign you need to have , you do not have to apply and pay for an exemption to operate a tractor on the highway system .. but you do if it is a pickup truck ..

Why ? Does it deal with the rights of man .. or propriety .. no it's just the way the law has been made and not enough people have fought it .
    Thanks
    Duncan

If the highway is a public highway then how is it maintained? Can I operate my bulldozer with the blade down, scraping off all the asphalt and pushing it into the ditch, destroying the road so that no one else can use it? Can I drive a huge, slow moving vehicle that completely blocks both lanes and shoves other drivers off the road? If there is absolutely no regulation then these and other acts are OK.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    If the highway is a public highway then how is it maintained? Can I operate my bulldozer with the blade down, scraping off all the asphalt and pushing it into the ditch, destroying the road so that no one else can use it? Can I drive a huge, slow moving vehicle that completely blocks both lanes and shoves other drivers off the road? If there is absolutely no regulation then these and other acts are OK.

I get to pay a $20 wheel tax for an 800# motorcycle because it tears up the roads. Farmers can drive 80,000# tractors with their equipment knives cutting into the asphalt without paying a dime of wheel tax on them. Figure that one out.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    I get to pay a $20 wheel tax for an 800# motorcycle because it tears up the roads. Farmers can drive 80,000# tractors with their equipment knives cutting into the asphalt without paying a dime of wheel tax on them. Figure that one out.

This is kind of what I am getting at. There are some rules aimed at letting everyone use the roads but there are a disturbingly large number of rules aimed solely at generating income.

Duncan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2010
    South of Indy

" If the highway is a public highway then how is it maintained? "
    Gas tax that is paid at the pump -- user tax .

" Can I operate my bulldozer with the blade down, scraping off all the asphalt and pushing it into the ditch, destroying the road so that no one else can use it? "
    You can but now you are talking about committing property damage .
    Not peaceably using your property for the enrichment and fulfillment of your life . But for the purpose of destruction .. such as if I put a brick through a window of neighbors home .

" If there is absolutely no regulation then these and other acts are OK "
    Regulations and laws are different but have been interchanged and just because a LAW exists does not mean it is proper even if it is " Constitutional " - gross example slavery or more recent the state property tax that should become " Constitutional "

If you have a law that protects or seeks justice for life liberty and property AFTER an act intercepts it . Then in most cases it is a just law .

But when you have a REGULATION that has the force of law and government , that requires you to pay or seek permission to do something before the fact .
    To in essence submit to the authority for acceptance to do something that will harm no one before the fact . That is improper .

IE CCW permits ... 4473 for gun purchase ... Drivers License , Auto plates , building permit for residence ... that one was found not necessary by the Indiana Appellate Court but the county still issues them and makes you thing you must have it ...

I would suggest that you read :
    The Law - by Frédéric Bastiat

http://bastiat.org/en/the_law.html

a man much smarter than you and I put together .
    Thanks
    Duncan

6a00e553d90c4288340120a74aa815970b-800wi

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    On Earth things like bikes, cars and pedestrians get in the way of trains. They get squashed and then the train has to stop for hours while there is an investigation. I think that revenue generating things like plates and licenses are also unfair restrictions, but that things like lane usage are okay since they regulate traffic and keep the roads open for everyone.

Law or not, would the train have to stop for the investigation anyway? So what's the point of making it a law? (ETA: My original point was that people already know what happens when they "get in the way" of a train. The existence of a law doesn't change their knowledge or there choices. So it's not necessary.)

To prevent the behavior? That's worked out so well for the hundreds of thousands of other laws prohibiting other behaviors.

If the modes of travel can be regulated to the point of limiting our free exercise thereof, then where do you draw the line at the government limiting the other rights?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    NE Indiana

Thanks
    Duncan
    https://myweb.in.gov/BMV/mybmvporta...strationFees/FarmVehicleRegistrationFees.aspx

By statute, you can and the tractor must be plated with XXX miles of the farm where the tractor is used. It isn't enforced, and the person I spoke with at the BMV said that she has only sold one (1) plate in the 24 1/2 years that she has been at the BMV.

grimor

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2010
    Elkhart

There is a law against riding on the tracks (or even walking along or across them at other than a street/crossing. They are private property.

Top Bottom