Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO

machete

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    Traplantis
    If the highway is a public highway then how is it maintained? Can I operate my bulldozer with the blade down, scraping off all the asphalt and pushing it into the ditch, destroying the road so that no one else can use it?

thats about the weakest thing ive ever seen you write and about the craziest youve ever gone to try to desperately prove a point...

your argument is this--- because we cant bulldoze i65,,,government has the power to license bicycles---

thats a crazy argument...

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    thats about the weakest thing ive ever seen you write and about the craziest youve ever gone to try to desperately prove a point...

your argument is this--- because we cant bulldoze i65,,,government has the power to license bicycles---

thats a crazy argument...

I'm not desperate to prove anything. Its an internet forum. I come here for amuzement.

I am trying to examine the difference between regulation in the form of charging somebody a fee for a license and regulation in the form of rules that let everyone use a public road. I used over the top examples to illustrate a point. Think of it this way: can there be a rule that people can use chains on their tires when it is snowy but that they have to take them off when there is no snow because the chains would tear up the roadway? If that is ok then that is a restriction. In the same vein charging someone a fee for a license plate to put on their bike I think is wrong, but would it be wrong to say that a person couldn't take their bicycle out on the interstate and ride it slowly down the middle of a lane, blocking traffic?

machete

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    Traplantis
    Think of it this way: can there be a rule that people can use chains on their tires when it is snowy but that they have to take them off when there is no snow because the chains would tear up the roadway?

If that is ok then that is a restriction.

its also a rule,,,a law,,,a code of conduct,,,and a lot of other words and terms... always be careful when people try to get a classification out there then run with the classification as the thing were talking about and forget about the original thing they were supposed to be talking about...

In the same vein charging someone a fee for a license plate to put on their bike I think is wrong, but would it be wrong to say that a person couldn't take their bicycle out on the interstate and ride it slowly down the middle of a lane, blocking traffic?

how is a bicycle license plate necessary to tell people to stay off I65??? people have picnic tables,,,but they dont need to be licensed with bmv so they wont hold picnics out in the middle lane of 465... i have an ax,,,but i dont need to have it licensed to tell me not to chop down your tree...

i still dont get your argument...

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    its also a rule,,,a law,,,a code of conduct,,,and a lot of other words and terms... always be careful when people try to get a classification out there then run with the classification as the thing were talking about and forget about the original thing they were supposed to be talking about...

how is a bicycle license plate necessary to tell people to stay off I65??? people have picnic tables,,,but they dont need to be licensed with bmv so they wont hold picnics out in the middle lane of 465... i have an ax,,,but i dont need to have it licensed to tell me not to chop down your tree...

i still dont get your argument...

Your OP asked whether it was a right or a priviledge to ride a bicycle. You posted a link to someone in New Jersey that wanted to put plates on bicycles. I've said over and over that plates on bicycles is a bad idea but that some regulation on vehicles is neccessary to share the public roads.

MACHINEGUN

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 16, 2008
    Du Mhan Yhu
    Oh my.. just when you think some politicians can't stoop any lower, they do.

By the way everyone.. when I get a chance.. most of you are getting reps.. some funny comments in this thread for sure.

machete

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 16, 2010
    Traplantis
    Your OP asked whether it was a right or a priviledge to ride a bicycle. You posted a link to someone in New Jersey that wanted to put plates on bicycles. I've said over and over that plates on bicycles is a bad idea but that some regulation on vehicles is neccessary to share the public roads.

maybe...

real regulations people just figure out and make a custom...have those proven to be inadequate with bicycles??? id say no,,,were done,,,no need for the government to get involved

if people cant figure out how and where to ride their bikes,,,vote on the laws telling people how and where to ride their bikes and post the laws,,,thats all the more regulation that ever needs to be done...

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    maybe...

real regulations people just figure out and make a custom...have those proven to be inadequate with bicycles??? id say no,,,were done,,,no need for the government to get involved

if people cant figure out how and where to ride their bikes,,,vote on the laws telling people how and where to ride their bikes and post the laws,,,thats all the more regulation that ever needs to be done...

But once we start posting laws that create restrictions is it still a right?

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    I have a right to keep and bear arms. Do I have a right to shoot my weapon on my own property? I would say yes, for the most part. Do I have a right to shoot in my postage stamp back yard at 3AM, waking up all the houses around me? No.

The roads are public. Do I have a right to go to a public road and set up a target and shoot at it, as long as I don't hit anyone or impede traffic? No.

So, do I have a right to use the public roads? Yes, certainly. But I must obey some rules that allow us all to interact safely with each other . This is a legitimate use of government.

We won't all necessarily agree with all those rules. That alone doesn't make it tyranny or oppression, unless you consider all representative government to be oppression.

So, do I have a right to own a bicycle? Yes. Do I have a right to ride it on my own property? Yes. Do I have a right to ride it on public roads? Yes, but there may be some restrictions. I have to ride with the flow of traffic. I have to use bicycle lanes where they exist. I can't ride on the interstate, because I can't keep up with the traffic flow.

What about license and registration? It depends. Is it a violation of rights? I don't think so, though I might disagree with the law. Suppose the city is building bicycle lanes, and they're going to use the registration money to build them. If I want to use the roads and the lanes, that's a way to ensure I pay my portion of the costs.

Not everything we disagree with, or everything that's restrictive, even stupidly restrictive, is necessarily a violation of rights.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I just wish they would start ticketing bicyclists that ride 8 wide, the wrong way, roll stop signs, cut off cars etc. It really becomes a danger when it gets warm out. I get horn heavy if I see a bicyclist doing something stupid. I usually get the finger and then get very very close to them.

Come to Indy and get horn heavy and come very close on me. It usually turns out very bad for your headlights. I am tired of being buzzed by cars so I have mounted a 3 foot fiberglass rod with a 4oz lead ball on the end. The smart people don't stop. The dumb ones get a ticket on top of their broken headlight for failure to yield the right of way to a cyclist.

kevinj110

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 5, 2009
    home
    ^ failure to yield the right of way to a cyclist? I thought that once riding on the road you had to operate as a motor vehicle. I was and still am unaware of any yeild right of way to a bicycle.

IC 9-21-11-2
    Roadways; rights and duties
    Sec. 2. A person riding a bicycle upon a roadway has all the rights and duties under this article that are applicable to a person who drives a vehicle, except the following:
    (1) Special regulations of this article.
    (2) Those provisions of this article that by their nature have no application.
    As added by P.L.2-1991, SEC.9.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Come to Indy and get horn heavy and come very close on me. It usually turns out very bad for your headlights. I am tired of being buzzed by cars so I have mounted a 3 foot fiberglass rod with a 4oz lead ball on the end. The smart people don't stop. The dumb ones get a ticket on top of their broken headlight for failure to yield the right of way to a cyclist.
    Yeah, no point in trying to scare a cyclist, just because they are being an idiot. Honk, return the salute, and carry on. However, these roving packs of spandex-clad biker gangs do give other cyclists a very bad name.

My wife actually hit a cyclist once. The guy tried to stop traffic so his buddies could run a stop sign (cross-traffic did not have a stop sign). He stopped right in front of her, held up his hand, and BAM! She couldn't get stopped in time, and knocked him over (no real damage or injury, thankfully). Cops showed up and cited HIM for failure to yield. Idiot somehow tried to argue that bikes had the right of way like pedestrians.

Back to bicycle registration: seems pretty silly in Indiana. I could see it in very bike-heavy cities. On the west coast, for instance, almost EVERYONE bikes, and the local .gov spends a huge amount on bike lanes, signals, paths, parking, etc.... Letting cyclists pay their own way makes sense. Registering my little girl's tricycle? Not so much.

kevinj110

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 5, 2009
    home
    Also I think about the greatest way for a town like oh say Bloomington to generate money is just to enforce current bicycle laws. Like maybe giving some of the bike punks with no brakes on thier bikes or no reflectors or ticketing them for riding wider than 2 in the same lane.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    What about license and registration? It depends. Is it a violation of rights? I don't think so, though I might disagree with the law. Suppose the city is building bicycle lanes, and they're going to use the registration money to build them. If I want to use the roads and the lanes, that's a way to ensure I pay my portion of the costs.

If the state were to impose a registration or license requirement on bicycles and use the money to improve the roadways to better accomodate cyclists I would gladly pay. The bicycle lanes on New York Street and Michigan Street in downtown Indy are more dangerous for cyclists now than before they existed. Dedicated bicycle lanes are nice if they are planned for correctly, but the money would be better spent on public service annoucements to educate motor vehicle operators on proper interaction with cyclists. Cyclists aren't blame free in the problems either but a little education on both sides would go a long way.

Top Bottom