Is Frontline still effective against fleas?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    My dog has fleas. Put Fronline on her October 31st and was still finding fleas every day. I gave her a bath today and was very surprised that I got about 50 fleas off her. I spoke to 3 people who all said Frontline wasn't killing their dogs' fleas either. Is it possible that fleas have evolved to become immune to Frontline? Given the price of Frontline I expected better results.

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    We are having the same problem here. Dosed all of the Cats & Dogs around the same time as you. Before, when we dosed them, the fleas were gone within a week or so. This time, it's been over 2 weeks and still having flea issues..

Wonder if they have changed the formula or something??

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Where did you get it? Was it online? Significantly cheaper than usual?

Ive found the Chinese knockoff market is infiltrating EVERYWHERE so if you found a helluva deal, you may have been taken.

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    Where did you get it? Was it online? Significantly cheaper than usual?

Ive found the Chinese knockoff market is infiltrating EVERYWHERE so if you found a helluva deal, you may have been taken.
    Nope. Got it from the vet with rebate from manufacturer so I know its real.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    If you check online you will see quite a few articles suggesting that fleas have developed immunity to the active ingredients in Frontline. There is quite a bit of dancing around the issues by professionals (vets) because I gather Bayer and Sanofi's lawyers are quite aggressive about disputing such claims

Here in Central Ohio we had to switch away from Frontline two years ago because it just wasn't effective. We have had and are still having good luck with Vectra 3D, which is also topical. I personally would not put a dog on systemic treatments unless there was just no other choice. I'd go back to regular pyrethrin shampoos first

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    My vet told me a year or so ago that if you don't switch up every so often, the colony of fleas will get immune to whatever you're using. We switched to a chewable tablet treatment (cannot for the life of me remember the name) at that time, and fleas have been almost non existent this year.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    We give our dog Trifexis (heartworm, flea and intestinal worm preventative) plus a topical (Pet Armor usually), so the fleas get a double whammy.

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    If you check online you will see quite a few articles suggesting that fleas have developed immunity to the active ingredients in Frontline. There is quite a bit of dancing around the issues by professionals (vets) because I gather Bayer and Sanofi's lawyers are quite aggressive about disputing such claims

Here in Central Ohio we had to switch away from Frontline two years ago because it just wasn't effective. We have had and are still having good luck with Vectra 3D, which is also topical. I personally would not put a dog on systemic treatments unless there was just no other choice. I'd go back to regular pyrethrin shampoos first
    Well great, I paid $80 for 6 doses and still have 4 left. I guess I'm going to have expensive trash this week.

DeadeyeChrista'sdad

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Feb 28, 2009
    winchester/farmland
    I'd hang onto it and just use something else for awhile.
    Our two "inherited " lab mutts ( who, by the way, are still up for adoption, ) are allergic to fleas and the usual treatment of front line or advantage didn't work.
    The Redkey vet gave them some rather expensive comfortis, and it seems to be doing the job.
    As advised above, I think we're going to have to switch it up occasionally.

igotdiesel2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Southport area of In
    We have a GoldenDoodle that we give the Frontline topical and he had fleas at his last hair appointment. The groomer said to switch to Advantage and see if it helped. So December he gets Advantage. We have a truck ton of critters in our yard, squirrels, rabbits, raccoons, opossums, and chipmunks. I can't wait for the hard frost to kill these things off. I have even talked to my yard spraying guy about treating my yard next year for pests. It has been a never ending battle. -Jason

ruger1800

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 24, 2010
    Indiana
    We have a GoldenDoodle that we give the Frontline topical and he had fleas at his last hair appointment. The groomer said to switch to Advantage and see if it helped. So December he gets Advantage. We have a truck ton of critters in our yard, squirrels, rabbits, raccoons, opossums, and chipmunks. I can't wait for the hard frost to kill these things off. I have even talked to my yard spraying guy about treating my yard next year for pests. It has been a never ending battle. -Jason

House and yard need to be treated to win the flea war, dogs also get worms from swallowing fleas.

gopher

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 13, 2013
    Zionsville, IN
    Our vet prescribed Capstar and NexGuard for our Standard Poodle (don't laugh, they are great dogs). He also said that this has been a bad year for fleas...

KMaC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 4, 2016
    Indianapolis
    I didn't realize there were so many different products for fleas. Guess I better start studying for a replacement. 20 years ago they were claiming that flea collars were too toxic and killing dogs. Has there been any complaints about the new flea collars?

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    Yes, you have to switch on a regular basis. We use Frontline, Advantage, Revolution and Vectra in rotation and have had little problems with fleas this year. Except when we went a week too long and in that short time the little bastidges got horrible. Seemed like it took 2 months to get everything back under control. You may also want to use a spray that contains a insect growth regulator on your pet's bedding, carpets, and upholstery so the pests won't mature and reproduce.

Had same problem with Frontline. Vet had us use something called Revolution, it did the trick...

Good thing about Revolution is it also takes care of some types of worms.

Top Bottom