• ...and so much more!
  • Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    This is actually one of the states (the other being Texas) that started me on this knowledge quest. They're close, but:
    -cannot carry under 21
    -required training
    -required to disarm if asked by certain people
    ---but they have to provide secure storage!
    -some signs enforced.

Also...in the SHTF thread start thinking about getting potable water to the surface. I have friends and family that live there and if the power goes out they will all be dead in 3 days:tumbleweed:. I've discussed this with them and :lala:

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    It all depends on what survey you read and how they compile their results. Some rate having gun-free zones as a big minus, which it is, but because of that Indiana gets gigged pretty good.

In reality the ability to own any firearm per any federal mandate (NRA, GSA,etc), I rate Indiana pretty high, if not the most gun friendly. If our legislature finally recognizes that taxing our ability to carry a handgun anywhere we want is an overreach, we will be even better.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    It all depends on what survey you read and how they compile their results. Some rate having gun-free zones as a big minus, which it is, but because of that Indiana gets gigged pretty good.

In reality the ability to own any firearm per any federal mandate (NRA, GSA,etc), I rate Indiana pretty high, if not the most gun friendly. If our legislature finally recognizes that taxing our ability to carry a handgun anywhere we want is an overreach, we will be even better.

Yeah but, per the gunstocarry site, our GFZs are pretty much on par with other less-restrictive states. Heck, we even have the infamous "parking lot laws" for schools and workplaces and the "guns in church" law. The biggest difference I see is specifically prohibiting carry during the state fair.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Also...in the SHTF thread start thinking about getting potable water to the surface. I have friends and family that live there and if the power goes out they will all be dead in 3 days:tumbleweed:. I've discussed this with them and :lala:

I just went to the store, and even with the risk, I'd still rather be in Arizona right now. :):

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Arizona is a the most likely spot for retirement destinations that my wife and I have discussed, that is IF we leave Indiana. She is more enthusiastic about that option than I am, but she didn't grow up here either.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    South Dakota. Lived out there 2002-2008. No problem carrying guns, good hunting, good fishing, nice country, friendly people and no state income tax. Some days I wonder why I moved back. Might retire out there.

Doug B

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    What about Tennessee? I'm a life long Indy resident, but Franklin Tennessee, just south of Nashville, is very tempting place to live. Expensive, but beautiful. And warmer than Indiana.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    What about Tennessee? I'm a life long Indy resident, but Franklin Tennessee, just south of Nashville, is very tempting place to live. Expensive, but beautiful. And warmer than Indiana.

The ammo tax, the b.s. Carrie Nation laws with bars, restrictions on carry, inter alia.

I guess it depends on what kind of metric you are using.

WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    If you give me constraints and weights I would be happy to make a spreadsheet to see where Indiana stands. Info such as "signs carry weight of law" = -5, "constitutional carry" = +10, "carry in bars" = +2, and so on.

SwikLS

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2015
    The Bunker
    In terms of carry permits:

Indiana has a population of about 6.7 million. About 5 million of that would be eligible for LTCH. The latest numbers on LTCH from the State Police are about 900k. So that is about 1 in 5 or 20%.

That's a high number and probably #1 in the nation or close to it.

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Is Indiana #1? No. Not even in the top ten.
    As was mentioned earlier, much depends on one's grading criteria. My top tier (in no particular order) is Alaska, Arizona, and Wyoming (Vermont gets disqualified due the prohibition on suppressors). Idaho, Montana, Utah, and a few others make up tier 2 (again, depending on your grading system).

Indiana would be hands down #1 with the elimination of IC 35-47-2-1(a).

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Is Indiana #1? No. Not even in the top ten.
    As was mentioned earlier, much depends on one's grading criteria. My top tier (in no particular order) is Alaska, Arizona, and Wyoming (Vermont gets disqualified due the prohibition on suppressors). Idaho, Montana, Utah, and a few others make up tier 2 (again, depending on your grading system).

Indiana would be hands down #1 with the elimination of IC 35-47-2-1(a).

So, correct me if I'm wrong here, but a one-time fee is worse than a state that wants to tell you what you can and can't own, requires training (making it even more expensive to exercise your rights), requires you to inform an officer that you have a gun when his only concern was giving you a speeding ticket (possibly lengthening your interaction and having him coonfinger a gun that was perfectly safe in its holster), or allows a local government to override their laws (no preemption)? I want Constitutional carry as much as everyone else, but I still think we're the top or close to it. New Hampshire is pretty rad too though.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom