Is it appropriate to keep one's knife in one's lap?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Yesterday while updating a patient there was a gruff looking significant other in the room. He had his knife resting in his lap rather than on his belt, in a pocket, etc. it was a folding knife and the blade was not exposed, but it seemed like it was on display.

what does social etiquette say regarding knives? It made me wonder if it was placed in a position to be noticed.

danmdevries

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    Top Left Corner
    One of those jackholes that gets off on trying to intimidate and feels the folks he requested help from are the enemy because they're furnishing his infos to the man.

Of course it was put there to be noticed.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If he had it out (to cut a tag, clean fingernails, etc, etc, etc) and then sat down - may have been difficult to put back into a pocket.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I usually carry mine open, biting down on the blade with my teeth throughout the day, like a pirate. Blade facing away, of course.

I get a few stares.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I guess it depends on the context of the situation. I worked in a hospital for a few years and remember how the pillheads would try to intimidate staff into giving them painkillers. Or maybe he was messing with it while he waited and just put it in his lap momentarily.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Maybe he was doing something with it before you walked in the room (cleaning fingernails, cutting a thread on his sleeve, etc...), and intended to continue once you left?

Maybe we need to start an OC thread for knives?

joslar15

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Bloomington
    Yesterday while updating a patient there was a gruff looking significant other in the room. He had his knife resting in his lap rather than on his belt, in a pocket, etc. it was a folding knife and the blade was not exposed, but it seemed like it was on display.

what does social etiquette say regarding knives? It made me wonder if it was placed in a position to be noticed.
    That's when ettiquette says you may think the following: Y"ou ask the significant other if he's ever considered therapy his pe$%le fixation. Also, in case you are considering using that Chinese POS you call a knife on me, let me assure you the disposable scalplel in my poceket, guided by my trained hands and spider-like reflexexes, you'd be bleeding out on the floor before you could say WTF??? Now, back towhat I was saying. Are we clear? After that I'll just go all Dexter on you with my Ultratech."

Then you say, "You look a little distracted, do I need to go over this with you again?"

Top Bottom