Is it me or are these kids' names getting weirder every year?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I had a set of cousins Ed, Ted, Fred, and... Dennis, and their sister Sarah Sue. Vanilla names, but I presume my aunt being a bit silly. I was forbidden from naming my son because of the names I've given to cats. She was just being paranoid; the worst one I favored for him was Thor. I have cats like Ptraci and Dagnertz, and I've named the ferals Буран, Antlers, Avocato, Armalite, Enfield and FN because the clinic demands names. Буран is ironic because they're all pure black. It's Russian for "snowstorm".

Wolfhound

Hired Goon
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Apr 11, 2011
    Henry County
    My in-laws (who I consider to be really odd folks) named all four of their children so that their initials are all M.A.D. I thought it was mildly amusing and a bit weird.

Rookie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Kokomo
    My niece named her daughter some weird name. It's really close to colostomy. Yeah, that kid won't get picked on...

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    When we named our son I had a list of classic names for the wife to choose from starting with Thorfin Skullsplitter. She settled a ways down the list on Erik after Erik the Red who sailed from Denmark for manslaughter's sake; father of Lief the Lucky.

Now she wishes she'd gone with #1.

Always wanted a son named Ragnar, had 3 daughters...

Don

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    My sister in law worked at a daycare for low income, inner city kids. She was always telling us about the weird names. Then one day she called and said, we have a winner. The little girl's name was, Shi-thead.:rolleyes:

I fear my daughter and her husband will tend towards odd names when they decide to have kids. I have already made the proclamation that if they give my grandchildren stupid names, I will forever refer to them by names of my own choosing. The first will be called George. Then John, Tom, James, Andrew... Girls will go Martha, Abigail, Dolley, Elizabeth...

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I knew of twins that were named DeJuan and DeAttaJuan.

Another set called Lemonjello and Orangejello.

A lot of girls named Placenta, one named Syphilis.

I could go on...

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I have an Uncle named Josephus *spelling?!*, biblical he says. He also hates it when I call him his full name, just Joe he says followed by some cursing and calling me a smart*** lol. My name is super vanilla, Dennis but Im a Junior being named after my father so Im perfectly fine with that. A kid of the 80s, what happened to the Brittanys and Emilys, whats wrong with that? Jason and Jeremiah?

Want to know how to keep "Dennis" from being vanilla? I tell everyone my name is "sinned" spelled backwards...

mmpsteve

Real CZ's have a long barrel!!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 14, 2016
    ..... formerly near the Wild Turkey
    There must have been a shortage of names around the year 1900. My grandad was a William C. *****, and his older brother, born two years earlier, was William E. *****. They both went by their middle names, but that's just weird. (it was Alabama around the turn of the century) They didn't even have electricity or indoor plumbing yet.

But so as not to jack the thread, here's a funny dealing with the currrent trends: Any other Key & Peele fans here?

[video=youtube;rT1nGjGM2p8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT1nGjGM2p8[/video]

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I went to school with a kid named Chad McDonald. At an awards banquet, they called out Ronald McDonald. We all laughed until he stood up. He was born years after the clown became famous.

I also grew up going to church with a guy named Dick Peters.

Every race/culture has their issues.
    hqdefault.jpg

015.JPG

Last edited:

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    My home county has/had a large commune and the kids could attend any of the three local high schools if they chose. The names were always interesting, though at least far more sensible than many of the names mentioned in this thread. Some examples: Utopian, Istalker, He-man, Urim, Mylord, Godson(the leaders son, of course).

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    Sometimes an original name prevents things from getting awkward.

Guy that lived across the street from where I worked stopped in one day to let everyone know that his wife had a baby boy. When he told us what they named him, first and middle name, I pointed out they had named him after me. He excused himself and went home. Later on he informed us they already had someone in the family with that name so they had to change it. :laugh:. 100% true story.

Last edited:

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    My daughters went to school with a shampayne (yes like the alcohol) you’d a thought that after high school that with that name she would have become a professional dancer (exotic not ballet) but she bucked the trend! She became a meth dealer! At least that’s what the media said after she was arrested

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    My wife's a middle school teacher. She's had some duseys over the years. A few years ago, my favorite was "Jessamine". Pronounced "Jasmine". And the girl apparently got huffy with my wife the first few days of school when my wife attempted to pronounce it as it was spelled.

As far as Lemonjello and Orangello are concerned: It's all BS / urban legend until yearbook proof is produced. That legend has been around for AGES and there still hasn't been any definitive proof of it at all. Everyone "knows a teacher who had them" But there's never ever been any proof.

Also about the afore-mentioned Mary Christmas: I went to college with a guy with the same last name. He definitely had an aunt "Mary" Christmas. One of his uncles had married her.

I also met a Wendy Rainy once. Cousin to my friend Amanda Rainy.

Knew a kid in college with the last name Casebeer. That was a new one on me.

Top Bottom