Is it me or are these kids' names getting weirder every year?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    My mom was a teacher also, and she had a girl named Candy Barr.

That would be a great stripper name...

IKR.

I had a HS classmate named Patches.

I a few years after graduating, I saw her, um, in an... establishment, with the stage name of ... Patches.

And KokomoDave - right there with you.

I went to 4H is a decidedly rural Indiana county with my wife, and I I did was rant about the stupid names - most were just dumb letter changes so the kid will have a lifetime of spelling out their name. Others were just plain dumb - "Saij" took the cake.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have an Uncle named Josephus *spelling?!*, biblical he says. He also hates it when I call him his full name, just Joe he says followed by some cursing and calling me a smart*** lol. My name is super vanilla, Dennis but Im a Junior being named after my father so Im perfectly fine with that. A kid of the 80s, what happened to the Brittanys and Emilys, whats wrong with that? Jason and Jeremiah?

I have an ancestor born 1836 named Josephus.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    You've painted up your lips an rolled and curled your tinted hair
    Ruby are you contemplating going out somewhere?
    The Shadow on the wall tells me the sun is going down -
    Oh Ruby
    Don't take your love to town

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Favre, as in Brett the former Packers qb. How they get the pronunciation from the spelling?

Know a woman named Sharon that married a man with the last name Peters. She uses her maiden name and he does not mind.

Seen one on the paper, you can guess which section, Jaquwarvis.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    My mom was a teacher also, and she had a girl named Candy Barr.

That reminds me. When I was a kid, a guy in our church married a girl who's name was Cherry Bear (not sure about the spelling of Bear. Might have been Baer). I remember my parents having the conversation on the way home from the wedding. "Who in their right mind would name a girl Cherry Bear. Might as well have been gummy bear.".

This was the mid 80's.

rw02kr43

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    Paragon
    There used to be a boy in Franklin named Jump Shot. There was also a girl named Jihad. Her parents heard it on the news and thought it sounded like a good name.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Favre, as in Brett the former Packers qb. How they get the pronunciation from the spelling?

Know a woman named Sharon that married a man with the last name Peters. She uses her maiden name and he does not mind.

Seen one on the paper, you can guess which section, Jaquwarvis.

That reminds me...

[video=youtube;YT0CScFzp1o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YT0CScFzp1o[/video]

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    I'm convinced that some children are named by committee. The whole family gets together, writes down suggestions, and they draw one from a hat. It's only a matter of time until some kid is named 7 1/4.

By the way, the correct spelling for the name pronounced sh-theed is s-h-i-t-h-e-a-d.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    yourmajesty-lumkins-funny-name-picture.jpg

KokomoDave

Enigma Suspect
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    76   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Kokomo
    My great grandfather, former mayor of Kokomo first name is Barnabas but my family is from the tribe of Asher which my father had the distinct pleasure of having as a first name.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Figure this guy is from Indiana. Maybe I am wrong. View attachment 78885

On a related note...

KTVU producers fired over Asiana pilots' fake names

During its noon newscast on July 12, anchor Tori Campbell announced that "KTVU has just learned the names of the four pilots who were on board" the ill-fated plane - then proceeded to read from a teleprompter while the phony names were displayed on a graphic.

The names she gave were Capt. Sum Ting Wong, Wi Tu Lo, Ho Lee Fuk and Bang Ding Ow.

:laugh:

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    My wife's a middle school teacher. She's had some duseys over the years. A few years ago, my favorite was "Jessamine". Pronounced "Jasmine". And the girl apparently got huffy with my wife the first few days of school when my wife attempted to pronounce it as it was spelled.

As far as Lemonjello and Orangello are concerned: It's all BS / urban legend until yearbook proof is produced. That legend has been around for AGES and there still hasn't been any definitive proof of it at all. Everyone "knows a teacher who had them" But there's never ever been any proof.

Also about the afore-mentioned Mary Christmas: I went to college with a guy with the same last name. He definitely had an aunt "Mary" Christmas. One of his uncles had married her.

I also met a Wendy Rainy once. Cousin to my friend Amanda Rainy.

Knew a kid in college with the last name Casebeer. That was a new one on me.

No urban legend here. I took care of them in an ER many times as children and they are real. They grew up in Louisville, Kentucky.

Years later my son was working EMS and took one of them to the ER. He mentioned the the name in disbelief and I answered "oh yes, I took care of him as a child". He was living in Jeffersonville, Indiana at the time.

Their mother disliked me because I would pronounce their names as written rather than trying to make it sound French or whatever effect she was going for. She would correct me every time.

But then again, it must have been in my imagination because someone who wasn't there says it couldn't have happened...

Mongo59

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 30, 2018
    Purgatory
    I was working in triage in the ER one day years ago. A mother brought her high school aged daughter in to be seen with her sibling brother in tow.

I asked the mom what her daughters name was and she gave one of those pronunciations that make you cringe.

I said, "ok, you are going to have to help me spell that one."

She starts off, "T-R-A-E-Q..."

But her son jumps in, "No mom, it is T-A-R-E..."

Then the mother says, "No, it is T-E-A-R.."

So I said, "that's ok, they can figure it out in registration."

I handed them their form and as they left the girl got up out of her seat and she had a school shirt on with her name across her back which was none of the previous spellings I had received...

Top Bottom